To Mariner or Not to Mariner ??????

After 24 HAL cruises I'm getting tired of never getting an upgrade. We are now looking at a 33 day PC + Amazon cruise in September. Since most upgrades seem to go to newer HAL customers why should I not declare myself as a first time customer ?? Friend of our just went on an Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam, their first HAL cruise, and they got upgraded from a VA to an S for $50 each. Not bad for a 7 day cruise.

Since the Mariner Society gets you basically nothing of true value, why declare yourself as being one ? My impression is that they have the attitude that once they have you as a customer - why try harder ? They seem to put their effort in newer customers.

Am I totally wrong on this or do I have a point ?? Comments appreciated.

Totally agree with you Ron.

We have also noticed that if HAL thinks they have you as a regular customer, they aren't going to bother to upgrade you, invite you to parties, etc. On the last number of cruises we have seen too many first times being invited to the parties and dining with the captain.

Yonnie

When I book my cabin, which I always book a specific cabin number, I am asked by my TA if I want to be offered an upgrade. I always say no, I like my specific cabin. From what I understand, there is a spot on the reservation to put in that you will be willing to upgrade without booking as a guarantee. Am I wrong here or is that how it goes?

I also see your point. After 40+ cruises, we have only been upgraded once and that was from a B to an A just along the hall.

One thing you would not get booking as a first timer, is the Mariner rate, but then if you book through an on-line agency, you probably get an even better rate.

Mariner's get absolutely nothing from HAL as compared to other lines, so I am told.

We booked two outside Cabins (with our friends) on the "Prinsendam" Amazon Explorer for next April, directly with HAL & the Rep. asked, for the first time, if we would accept an upgrade...:D Wonder if they expect all the outside cabins to be booked up quickly..

We all were once upgraded to a higher cat. outside cabin, but for the life of me can't remember when:confused: ..It probably was no big deal..

When checking in several years ago, we were told by a HAL Rep that more than 80% of HAL'S psgrs were Mariners..She said, that was why there is no longer a special Mariners check-in..

Oh well, thank goodness, we're still able to cruise...:)

Happy cruising everyone..

We are Mariners and have been for several years. Can't say I remember any specific or special treatment we've ever gotten other than the supposedly special offers we receive in the mail from time to time. (Which, by the way, I've yet to find were really any special deal as the same cruises have been available on the web through HAL or TA's for the same or lower fares.) We don't put much store in it and it's just one of those things that we're members of but really don't pay any attention to one way or the other. The funny thing that happened to us was on our one and only Celebrity cruise this past March. Got invited, for the first time ever, to the Captain's Table on the first formal night. What an experience! Guess it's like the "upgrade fairy".....no telling when, where or how she decides to work her magic. :)

I have enjoyed lurking the past couple of weeks and have learned a lot. This will be our first cruise and all the information is very helpful.

To get on topic, ;) hopefully we will be one of those first timers offered an upgrade. We got a good amidships deal from an OLTA for a very good group rate but would like to move up to a superior veranda or other suite if the opportunity comes along.

Currently we are in VD category (nice place to start, huh?) :rolleyes:

We will be sailing on October 15th aboard Zuidy and can hardly wait.

Thanks Doone,

I was just up in Mass a couple of weeks ago. I am an avid Sox and Pats fan and grew up in Fitchburg. I was lucky enough to go to Fenway and take the family for the first time. Nice to see my first response was from someone in Mass. :D

A side note -- Once in Tampa, about to board, we were told that we should go to the Mariner table for priority boarding ?? Seems that everyone was at the Mariner table and no one was at the first timers table. It turns out that the first timers boarded far ahead of the rest of us. - great planning

My suggestion for the Mariner Society is to establish a graduated benefits program, like Princess does. Did you know that after 15 cruises with Princess you get free internet and free laundry and drycleaning plus other benefits. HAL needs to have an advocate heading the Mariner Office.

On my next cruise I'll list as a first timer as see what happens.

I agree with the OP!!! Nothing worthwhile attached to being a Mariner at all.

Not one lousy perk, oh, I forgot about the Mariner party, which is now always held in the late morning. Yes, let's go in our shorts and have a couple glasses of champagne at 11:00am - no thanks.

I am still surprised at these "comp" upgrades from a verandah A or B to a full Suite... and is the OP's experience - $50 each?? HAL gave those away, lol!

We have paid for Suites on several occasions and if I were one of you folks consistently purchasing an S, I'd be a tad peeved that HAL seems to give them away, especially to first timers - maybe it's HAL's warped way of attracting repeat business, but doesn't seem right to me at all.

We are going to be looking at other cruiselines in the future - we feel that HAL just doesn't live up to our expectations any longer.

Do BOTH :p:p

Make your cruise booking do it as first timer. If you get an upgrade good else you have lost nothing..

When you get onboard and are down doing the Credit Card thing, ask them if you are listed as an Mariner.. They will say no and add your info. At this point you get the Mariner Party and any "gifts".

:rolleyes:

Archived