Does 2 week sale ever include Marquesas?

DataPrincess

First - I want to say "THANK YOU!" to so many people for contributing so much information on these boards. This is my first post -- I've been lurking for a couple of weeks trying to absorb as much information as possible!

My question: We want to go on the 2 week cruise including Marquesas in 2014. Do you know if the 2 week sale from PG ever includes the Marquesas cruise?

Thanks in advance...

Patti

Data princess may recommendation for a newbie is the Ten days. It's a nice mix of atolls and islands

We were newbies on the PG last months, two week cruise that included the Marquesas leg. It was great, and I would recommend visiting the Marquesas newbie or not; just because it's such a special trip going to places the normal tourist doesn't get to visit.

Thanks, Emdee. Icecat - thanks for your input also.

We aren't FP newbies, only PG newbies. We visited Tahiti (one night in Radisson), an atoll (Tikehau - 3 nights in Pearl OWB), Moorea (3 nights in Hilton garden room), and Bora Bora (4 nights in Hilton OWB) in November, 2010. Being huge Michener fans, we wanted to visit the Marquesas, and considered taking the freighter (but our TA talked us out of it).

So, next year, we will either do one island of the Marquesas and a couple other of the Society Islands with flight/land based tour, or a PG cruise + a few days front or back in a hotel or OWB.

I was just wondering whether we should wait for the 2 week sale to book, or go ahead and book when we're ready to book. I'm leaning toward "book when we're ready to book" at this point.

But -- I'm also open to other opinions of what is best for us to do!!!

Just a scroll back through my inbox found a couple of PG email notifications..... on 16th Oct 2012 there was a 2 week sale advertised with the 14 day Feb 2nd sailing then on 21st Nov again the Feb 2nd and also the May 18th 2013 sailing offered.

I guess they offer based on the bookings!...

On 19th Feb this year again an offer for the May 18th sailing, from $5195 we were hoping to go the Marquesas in May this year, hence my interest in the offers, - but sadly were unable to. Keen to cruise again this year if we can and hopefully one in Aug 2014!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I am sure it's a fascinating itinerary. i look forward to reading reviews from those who are currently on board.

I stand corrected. I was just going from memory when I said I have only seen the 7 day and cook sailings on the 2 week sales.

If you are not a newbie then the Marquesas are wonderful and they have a special charm. I guess they could be wonderful for a newbie as well. There are however many days at sea and I think it only includes a visit to Fakarava and not to Rangiroa or Huahine.... memory again here so may be wrong. It is many years since I did the marquesa itinerary. That is the basis of my suggestion for the 10 days for newbies. 3 or four days in an island and then 10 days on the PG. Also people have to understand that the Marquesas unlike the societies do not have those lovely light blue lagoons and tenders can be cancelled due to high winds. There is also almost no snorkelling in the Marquesas.

We have done the Marquesas once. My reaction to that sailing was that "I am really glad that I did that ONCE". It is very interesting, but as Emdee points out, it is a lot of time at sea and less (or no) time on a couple of very fun islands. Don't get me wrong, the Marquesas are quite interesting, but some times you cannot even tender over to the islands due to rough seas.

Motu, thanks for the advice on the potentially rough seas, and of course as I note from reading - quite a few sea days.......wonderful if moderately calm, but, not so good if rough.:eek: be awful not to even get ashore.

I looked back thru' the CC member reviews for this itinerary. always good to get as many opinions as you can!

Emdee, or anyone else who has been on this trip... would you go again?

I loved the 10day voyage, a perfect blend, - certainly happy to repeat that one!!

When we went to the marquesas we went to two of the three islands. Was unable to tender to one. Now the ship sometimes goes to 4 islands.

I would likely not repeat but I was glad to have been. Also the mossies can be bad and people were bitten something terrible.

We did the classic 4-island Marquesas trip in 2008. I would do it again in a heartbeat. These islands are so fantastically beautiful, and so different. But then again, we've done the 7-day Societies itinerary 4 times. I loved the seadays on the ship. We did have very good weather--no tender ports missed, and the sea coming back to Bora Bora was like glass. Ours included Rangiroa, but not Huahine.

We went to the marquesas in August.

Seas were on the whole ok but staff told us tht swells were sometimes too high or tendering.

Journey there and back was only a little rough

• 2 weeks later...

We got back from the cruise yesterday. Yes, there was a 2 week sail for our departure date - May 18th. We had booked it months before, but called during the sail and the price was adjusted.

The Marquesas are incredibly beautiful. We were unfortunate enough to have rain in all 4 ports, but managed to get out and at least see the local area. Our tour in one was cancelled by the ship (all the others were arranged privately and one cancelled due to the rain). Even in the rain, the islands are lovely.

As for the seas - one really rough day sailing back to the Society Islands- otherwise, always with some swells, but reasonably comfortable.

The Marquesas are closer to the Equator so you would expect more rain and humidity year round. The Society Islands are further away from the Equator thus they have more seasonal changes, menaing the weather is better from May - October. The Cooks are even futher away. Go during their winter (June - September) and you need to bring a light jacket for the evenings.

With that being said the Marquesas are less traveled and therefore more "wild" or lets say more unchanged.

I've never had a desire to go but that's just me. I would agree the 10 night trip is a wonderful balance of atolls, mountains and everything in between. Just my 2 cents worth .........

Archived