One day in Vancouver: see the city or Capilano Bridge/Grouse Mountain?

For those who live in or have traveled to Vancouver, what do you recommend for a person who only has about 6-7 hours in the city? Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain look really cool, but that will probably take most of my day up, so is it worth it to visit or should I take the HOHO trolley and visit the aquarium and Stanley Park attractions? I appreciate any and all advice! Thanks in advance. Also, for a 6pm flight to the US on a Monday, how early should I be at the airport and how long will it take me to get there from Canada Place?

I would visit the aquarium and stanley park and also walk around the downtown area near Canada Place.

I would arrive to the airport by 4:00 PM.

Give yourself about an hour to get to the airport.

Keith

I would definitely visit Capilano Suspension Bridge - our Aquarium is just another Aquarium - although very nice you can see similar in most cities of the world however Capilano Suspension Bridge is unique and a natural wonder/beauty... IMO you will not have time for Grouse Mountain so I would do Capilano Suspension Bridge and a tour around Stanley Park and Gas Town - then you will be out of time...

You can ride the Skytrain to the airport but you will need to head for the airport at approx 3pm ... for a 6pm flight

While Capilano Suspension Bridge is a must see for those spending a few days in Vancouver I would suggest that for your brief time in the city you should explore the area between the port and Stanley Park.

Canada Place has some beautiful views of the North Shore mountains and includes Jack Poole Plaza with the cauldron from the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Walk west along the sea wall, admiring the yachts until you reach Stanley Park.

If time allows head over to the totem poles for some great photo opportunities and views of the downtown area.

Grab a quick lunch at one of the many ethnic restaurants on Denman Street before you return to the Canada Line by 3;00 pm for your ride to YVR.

photo%2525204%252520%2525283%252529.JPG

IMO Vancouver has many facets to it and the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mountain Skyride comprise only 2 of those facets...albeit very good ones. However, if I had only one day in Vancouver I would want to see as much of it as I could and to that end I would do what we usually do in a new city....take a HOHO tour. There are several that operate in Vancouver during the summer but the best one in my mind is the Vancouver Trolley which is the only one that offers live narration.

I am sure that you will enjoy my hometown whatever you decide to do.:)

I vote HOHO trolley. Capilano Bridge is just "OK" IMH. I also agree the YVR aquarium is just another aquarium, though Stanley park is NOT just any other park. It's my "must see" recommendation in YVR (especially if you could bike/hike around the sea wall).

It sounds like most of you are in favor of Stanley Park. What are the must-sees here? I will be alone that day, so hopefully you can suggest something for a single gal!

Once in the park you need to know that it is 1000 acres so it is pretty hard to take in all in on foot however there is a HOHO service that operates within the park during the summer and the cost is very reasonable.

http://vancouvertrolley.com/tour/stanley-park-shuttle

I like the suggestion of walking from Canada Place to Stanley Park. What is the distance along the seawall and walking time for older slow walkers?

Thanks

Dave

The equivalent of about 11/12 city blocks, all level. A slow walk about 30 minutes a brisk walk 12/15 mins. However, please see my post above about the size of the park once you get there.

You walk FAST PD!

It's a touch over 2.5 kilometres/1.5 miles along the sea wall from Canada Place to just inside the entrance of Stanley Park (where you can get on the carriages). Normal walking speed for older pedestrians is 2.8 to just under 3mph - I'd allow at least 30 minutes, more likely 40 if you're stopping for photos en route...

In a none rainy day, I'd suggest the following walking/biking route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Canada+Place,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Bayshore+West+Marina,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada+to:Brockton+Point+Lighthouse,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada+to:Siwash+Rock,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada+to:English+Bay+Beach,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&hl=en&ll=49.300893,-123.134422&spn=0.036604,0.104628&sll=49.299998,-123.135384&sspn=0.036604,0.104628&geocode=FbsV8AIdMXmp-CnD0U3SgnGGVDFC3wUbN7Br1g%3BFRAq8AIdDSWp-CF_a1Q5X32iAymFRP1EiHGGVDF_a1Q5X32iAw%3BFZJF8AIdGmKp-CFCbyS9eiv4eikfLuGilnGGVDFCbyS9eiv4eg%3BFdlk8AIdRceo-CnFtpT2-HGGVDGeNQoodmjp8A%3BFYkS8AIdRAWp-CE2zBVT2_JWYimHW1SvKHKGVDE2zBVT2_JWYg&oq=english+bay&dirflg=b&mra=ltm&t=m&z=14&lci=bike

Near Stanley Park's Georgia entrance, at Denman/Georgia, there are numerous bike rental shop. The Stanley Park outer Seawall perimeter is about 8km, leisure biking time <60 min. (you add time for stops/detour). In summer months (? starting mid June), there will be concession stands(+ water fountains year round) open along the route. As prev. poster mentioned, Denman st is littered with eateries (casual to fancy light).

The whole route is very safe and on a weekend day, you are likely never going to be alone even on the most remote path.

Most of the major attractions in the Park are in the eastern part of the park which is closest to the entrance - Rose garden, Totem Poles, Brockton Point, Lost Lagoon, Lumberman's Arch and the Aquarium

Cheers!

Dennis

Most of the major attractions in the Park are in the eastern part of the park which is closest to the entrance - Rose garden, Totem Poles, Brockton Point, Lost Lagoon, Lumberman's Arch and the Aquarium

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks everyone for the input. I figure an hour to walk! Toyed with the Shuttle but think we can walk to the main attractions. We are staying in the Day's Inn Downtown and may take a bus back. Do you recommend buying the faresaver 10 ticket bus ticket. We will spend another day at the end of our cruise and want to visit China Town, Gas Town and Granville Island. We are staying in the Victorian Hotel on our return and can walk to ChinaTown and Gas Town. We would need the bus for Granville Island.

Dave

Thanks everyone for the input. I figure an hour to walk! Toyed with the Shuttle but think we can walk to the main attractions. We are staying in the Day's Inn Downtown and may take a bus back. Do you recommend buying the faresaver 10 ticket bus ticket. We will spend another day at the end of our cruise and want to visit China Town, Gas Town and Granville Island. We are staying in the Victorian Hotel on our return and can walk to ChinaTown and Gas Town. We would need the bus for Granville Island.

Dave

Then you will get good value out of a FareSaver ticket book but you will likely only need one between you.

Dave

The Faresaver packs (pack of 10 tear-out transit tickets) are a great way to see the city, and are easily shared between multiple people. I see lots of tourists every day using our local transit system.

The Faresaver packs (pack of 10 tear-out transit tickets) are a great way to see the city, and are easily shared between multiple people. I see lots of tourists every day using our local transit system.

It looks like I'll probably do the HOHO trolley to get around, but I'll need to take the sky train to get to the airport. Is the airport add-on fare applied to or from the airport?

It looks like I'll probably do the HOHO trolley to get around, but I'll need to take the sky train to get to the airport. Is the airport add-on fare applied to or from the airport?

TO the airport, it's simply a 2 zone ticket

FROM the airport it's still just a 2 zone ticket, but if you buy single tickets on the platform there's a $5/ticket surcharge

(1 zone evenings and weekends)

Thanks for the quick replies! Can I buy the fairsaver 10 ticket book at the airport? I am hoping to not convert our money for the two day stay in Vancouver. The bus tickets work and credit cards for the rest. Will taxi to and from the hotels.

Dave

Ut, unless they run out of stock (which can occasionally happen) then both stores do sell the FareSaver tickets. The 7-11 is open 24/7 whereas the YVR website says the Pharmasave hours are only 0800 to 1700 weekdays and closed on Sat, Sun and holidays:confused:.

Archived