Is this an issue or just a formality!?!?

Moomduck1

Hi,

We are 10 days out from our cruise. My adult son's room just got assigned today. I was printing the luggage tags and express docs when I noticed that his girlfriend's name is sort of not correct. It was correct before the room was assigned! It is just the salutation. She is listed as MRS instead of MISS or MS. Her actual first and last names are correct and match her passport. So I am thinking that this isn't that big of a deal. I alerted our TA and asked him to please get this corrected. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

We are 10 days out from our cruise. My adult son's room just got assigned today. I was printing the luggage tags and express docs when I noticed that his girlfriend's name is sort of not correct. It was correct before the room was assigned! It is just the salutation. She is listed as MRS instead of MISS or MS. Her actual first and last names are correct and match her passport. So I am thinking that this isn't that big of a deal. I alerted our TA and asked him to please get this corrected. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance!!

As long as the given names are an exact match to the passport, there is no problem with salutation.

Hi,

Perhaps they're surprising you and getting married before you cruise :confused:

j/k, of course! ;)

Perhaps they're surprising you and getting married before you cruise :confused:

j/k, of course! ;)

...... or maybe HAL is trying to tell them they shouldn't be sharing a room without being married (double kidding of course:D:p;)).

Is either son or girlfriend 25 or older?

Unless married, one person in the cabin is supposed to be 25 years old.

There might be an exception to that for active duty military.

The legal age is 21, HAL changed this ruling about 4 years ago now. Actually Carnival is really the only cruise line remaining that requires if someone is under 18 there must be someone 25 in the cabin and or everyone must be 21 years of age. Cruise lines like RCI says as long as everyone is at least 18 they are OK to sail.

Sail, things have changed - the age is 21, and I believe they are not too strict about that, either. And Lisa is right about RCI - the age is 18 on those ships.

When did they change it?

Actually, I think it makes more sense to be 21......... in this day and age.

When did they change it?

Actually, I think it makes more sense to be 21......... in this day and age.

I have no idea when it changed, I just know that`s what it has been for a couple of years now.

Laffnvegas,

Royal Caribbean has different age policies, depending on origin of sailing. I have posted the policy from their website and Holland America's below:

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Holland America

Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 21 years old; one adult chaperone is required for every five people under the age of 21 (25 years of age or older in the case of persons serving as chaperones for approved organized student/youth groups). Alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21. Due to limited medical facilities on the ships, we will not accept reservations for infants under 6 months old at time of sailing. For transocean crossings, or other itineraries which our Medical Department feel present a significant risk, infants must be a minimum of 12 months of age at embarkation.

Minors under age 18 traveling to certain foreign countries must be accompanied by both parents or have a notarized letter of consent signed by the parent(s) not traveling. If the other parent is deceased or the child has only one legal parent, a notarized statement must be obtained as proof.

I have no idea when it changed, I just know that`s what it has been for a couple of years now.

Could you point us to where it shows a changed policy?

From HAL as quoted above:

Quote:

Holland America

Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 21 years old; one adult chaperone is required for every five people under the age of 21 (25 years of age or older in the case of persons serving as chaperones for approved organized student/youth groups). Alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21. Due to limited medical facilities on the ships, we will not accept reservations for infants under 6 months old at time of sailing. For transocean crossings, or other itineraries which our Medical Department feel present a significant risk, infants must be a minimum of 12 months of age at embarkation.

Minors under age 18 traveling to certain foreign countries must be accompanied by both parents or have a notarized letter of consent signed by the parent(s) not traveling. If the other parent is deceased or the child has only one legal parent, a notarized statement must be obtained as proof.

Seems HAL has not changed their policy. What is quoted appears to be the same as previously.

Is either son or girlfriend 25 or older?

Unless married, one person in the cabin is supposed to be 25 years old.

There might be an exception to that for active duty military.

I interpret the current policy to be ANYONE, married or single 21 or over does not need an "adult" to be in the stateroom with them

The only time a chaperone who is 25 or older is needed is for "approved organized student/youth groups"

This is definetly different from what is stated above

Could you point us to where it shows a changed policy?

Look Sail - all I know is when I took my grandsons on a cruise one of them fortunately was 21, and they shared a room. When I had taken them on RCI, the age was 18. I'm not wasting any more time on trying to find policy for you, I am simply speaking from my own experience, and you will note that Lisa - who is TA - has told you the same thing. Contact HAL for more info.

Archived