High Speed Internet on Oasis

I thought only the Allure has the high speed internet...is in the Oasis too??? I need to be online always, I purchase one or two package, so if the Oasis already have high speed connection that will be awesome!!

Other question, I read that exist a unlimited package of internet, I don't remember on what ship was that...Oasis have this too???

Thanks!

Edited by Spainboy

I thought only the Allure has the high speed internet...is in the Oasis too??? I need to be online always, I purchase one or two package, so if the Oasis already have high speed connection that will be awesome!!

Other question, I read that exist a unlimited package of internet, I don't remember on what ship was that...Oasis have this too???

Thanks!

So far, Allure is the only ship to have unlimted internet.

I was on the March 9th sailing and they tested the new internet service on Day 7 of our cruise. They gave free access from 2-4pm. After this time the speeds went back to normal, back down to almost 1MB down and no longer free.

I never saw so many people with their iPhones/iPads/laptop etc. out. The computer centers were packed with people online and signing up for accounts. I was very impressed with the speeds especially with all the people online at the same time. Attached is a speed test I ran.

aktyrc.png

I was on the March 9th sailing and they tested the new internet service on Day 7 of our cruise. They gave free access from 2-4pm. After this time the speeds went back to normal, back down to almost 1MB down and no longer free.

I never saw so many people with their iPhones/iPads/laptop etc. out. The computer centers were packed with people online and signing up for accounts. I was very impressed with the speeds especially with all the people online at the same time. Attached is a speed test I ran.

aktyrc.png

I saw this and now I NEED to know if they have it up and running 100%.

• 2 months later...

aktyrc.png

Any developments on this anyone? I would really like to know if Oasis and Allure now have high speed internet and if so what the costs/package options are.

Thanks!

Any developments on this anyone? I would really like to know if Oasis and Allure now have high speed internet and if so what the costs/package options are.

Thanks!

Allure has unlimited internet, but I don't know if it would be considered high speed. The cost for one device to be connected for the entire cruise has ranged from $99 to $179.

Allure has unlimited internet, but I don't know if it would be considered high speed. The cost for one device to be connected for the entire cruise has ranged from $99 to $179.

Thanks Bob. We did Allure last December and I recall you could get 24 hours for $24.99 I think it was, but don't remember the speed. What I'm trying to find out is whether this new 'high speed' service on Oasis is a sensible price (and speed!) so my other half can work while on the cruise - and he needs good upload speed as well as download speed. So those tests that were done look ideal - if you can actually get that speed now as standard. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

The new internet service is not fully operational. Royal is partnering with O3b and they have only launched 4 of the 8 satellites required. The last 4 are scheduled to launch in September and according to Royal it will initially be available on the Oasis, then Allure.

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/press-releases/2013/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-and-o3b-networks-expand-business-partnership-to-provide-guests-onboard-allure-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-with-ultra-fast-and-affordable-internet-access

aktyrc.png

Those speeds are nice, but the 2.5 second ping times are lousy. It means there will be a 2.5 second lag in everything you do. That pretty much rules out any sort of real-time applications such as video chat (Skype or Facetime), VoIP, remote desktop, or games. The whole point of O3b was that the satellites are lower so there is less latency, but 2.5 seconds is much higher than existing satellite internet systems (which typically get 0.75-1.5 seconds).

Edited by ahecht

The new internet service is not fully operational. Royal is partnering with O3b and they have only launched 4 of the 8 satellites required. The last 4 are scheduled to launch in September and according to Royal it will initially be available on the Oasis, then Allure.

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/press-releases/2013/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-and-o3b-networks-expand-business-partnership-to-provide-guests-onboard-allure-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-with-ultra-fast-and-affordable-internet-access

There are two different things going on:

- RCI are upgrading their service using conventional satellite technology. They have talked about bundling capacity, but it is not clear what they mean by that. From the few speed tests I have seen, they have pretty good bandwidth, but woeful ping times (it is, of course, not really possible to extrapolate from single tests such as the one posted here)

- once O3b are operational, they will trial their new technology, which promises better latency. The test in this thread was taken in March, so I can guarantee that this has nothing to do with O3b - their birds were in pre-flight testing in March :) By the way, O3b are now saying they will launch another constellation of 4 in 2014 - this will provide some redundancy in their system.

I booked the Oasis because I was told by a travel agent, and higher ups at RCCL, just to find out a week before the high speed (satellite) all the hype, was

not up and running. Terrified to tell my husband, but the speed was fine, and my

husband was able to conduct his business from sea with no problems.

BUT shame on all the info from travel agents for telling me the whole new system was up and running.

I booked the Oasis because I was told by a travel agent, and higher ups at RCCL, just to find out a week before the high speed (satellite) all the hype, was

not up and running. Terrified to tell my husband, but the speed was fine, and my

husband was able to conduct his business from sea with no problems.

BUT shame on all the info from travel agents for telling me the whole new system was up and running.

Thanks for the info - you'd think RCI could get their facts straight, but no-one seems to be able to give me a sensible answer! Can I ask, was your husband just using a normal email account and internet access or was he using some type of remote access? The reason I ask is that my partner needs to work, but he accesses his work computer remotely, so needs good upload speeds as well as download, and a good ping rate. Would be really useful to know if anyone has tried doing this.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info - you'd think RCI could get their facts straight, but no-one seems to be able to give me a sensible answer! Can I ask, was your husband just using a normal email account and internet access or was he using some type of remote access? The reason I ask is that my partner needs to work, but he accesses his work computer remotely, so needs good upload speeds as well as download, and a good ping rate. Would be really useful to know if anyone has tried doing this.

Thanks!

Very unlikely to get a low ping latency via the current satellite connection. I've tried a number of different types of VPNs and could not get them to connect. I have read here that some VPNs work onboard, but mine did not. I had to wait to use land based WiFi at ports before I could do a remote access session.

Edited by clarea

I can't live or work without the internet but when I go on a cruise, I completely disconnect. Cell phones, laptops, tablets - all locked away for a week. Time to relax and enjoy. DD is travelling with us in the fall and she wanted to know about connectivity for her cell phone so she can stay in touch. I told her not to. Put it away and enjoy a few days of relaxation without the hassles we all see everyday. Anyway, the internet of the ships is deathly S-L-O-W anyway, why bother.

I can't live or work without the internet but when I go on a cruise, I completely disconnect. Cell phones, laptops, tablets - all locked away for a week. Time to relax and enjoy. DD is travelling with us in the fall and she wanted to know about connectivity for her cell phone so she can stay in touch. I told her not to. Put it away and enjoy a few days of relaxation without the hassles we all see everyday. Anyway, the internet of the ships is deathly S-L-O-W anyway, why bother.

Well aren't you lucky that you have that option! :)

Not everyone has jobs and lives that they can totally disconnect from. For some people, the only way that they can take a vacation is by still being available to connect with their jobs back home.

And then there are some people - like me - who simply enjoy keeping up with Facebook and checking in with my dog sitter. (One of our dogs has a very serious chronic illness.) I love having the ability to spend five minutes online to catch up and connect once each day. I had no issues at all with the ship's internet being slow by the way.

You disconnect completely, but you can comment on the speed of the connection? Curious.

The speeds are frequently good enough for many tasks, in my experience.