Maiden Voyage: Who is Joining Us?

njguy_south

I am booked on the maiden voyage, April 11, 2015, leaving Istanbul. I see others have booked this, as well. I am excited, as I've never done a maiden voyage!

I love the cruise price, the airfare price, the mostly inclusive, including shore excursions, all transfers, and internet.

I am staying an additional 2 nights in Venice. What a great price for that, too, and including breakfast and transfers.

We have booked the maiden voyage as well, and think it will be interesting to see how a company new to ocean cruising handles the new venture. I like their river cruises and think that they will do well, and I welcome the competition for companies catering to the same market.

Hello, We are interested in booking the maiden voyage.....but I am very confused on what deck to book. Since the ship is not built yet my TA can not advise on the best stateroom location and deck. How did you decide?

Thanks, Kathy

We're booked too! We're flying into Istanbul early, but not taking the Viking package as I don't like where the hotel is located. I've been, but my husband hasn't. It's a magnificent city. Truly amazing. We're also staying a couple of days in Venice and trying to decide if we want to use the Viking package on that. I know they do a great job with transfers, etc., but not sure about the hotel there either. Looks like a good property, but it's sort of all on its own. Nothing around it, not walkable to the main attractions, although they say they have a free shuttle boat to San Marco. Normally I wouldn't be concerned this far out, but the final payment is due so early that I know I need to figure it out.

Oh, and Kathy, I'm not sure how you could decide. I would start with picking the category you're comfortable with financially and going from there. IMO, unless you're directly on the aft, the mid is always the most convenient, and having cabins above and below is always good in case there are any noise issues, either from being under the pool or over the theater.

I've been looking everywhere online to find out the square footage (size) of all the different staterooms? Can't find that info anywhere. I want to know what I'm "buying" before I plunk my money down. Regards to all.

I've been looking everywhere online to find out the square footage (size) of all the different staterooms? Can't find that info anywhere. I want to know what I'm "buying" before I plunk my money down. Regards to all.

Stateroom sizes are listed as follows on page 11 of the brochure on the Viking Star. Download it on the Viking Oceans page under the Brochures tab. Choose "Online" and provide the requested contact info. That will expose the link to the brochure. You can try the direct link http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/brochure/thankyou.aspx?dbc=15VOC&&mediaselect=digital&inqID=3264522~3295017&inqType=brochure-d~2259. You get the choice of a web e-brochure, an iPad version, or a PDF download.

Here are the stateroom sizes.

• Veranda: 270 sq.ft.
  • Deluxe Veranda: 270 sq.ft. (same size but different location and benefits.)
  • Penthouse Veranda: 338 sq.ft.
  • Penthouse Junior Suite: 405 sq.ft.
  • Explorer Suite: 757 to 1,163 sq.ft. (Size varies with location as indicated on the deck plan.)
  • Owner's Suite: 1,448 sq.ft.

Be sure to also check the amenities that vary from one cabin class to another.

-- roy --

Captainmcd, we are also both sailing on the Azamara Journey's October 2013 cruise to the Holy Land. Small world!

As for cabins, I booked the regular Veranda. It wasn't worth the extra $550 for the priorty reservations and booking of shore excrusions, and the trinkets of additions, like an ipad for cabin use. I would rather spend that on an extended stay in Venice.

Speaking of Venice, the hotel they might use is Hilton's Molino Stucky. While not in St. Mark's Square, it does have fabulous views. The shuttle's schedule runs every 20 minutes from morning to past midnight, and being on a boat and travelling around Venice in one is how the locals do it! Viking is offering the hotel with breakfast for less than what the hotel is offering on their website, and Viking also includes transfers.

Another reason I booked this was Viking's airfare special. It is far cheaper than I can get it, and they include transfers!

Great cruise company, great ship, great ports, and great price -- affording me more cash to travel more often!

Captainmcd, we are also both sailing on the Azamara Journey's October 2013 cruise to the Holy Land. Small world!

Another reason I booked this was Viking's airfare special. It is far cheaper than I can get it, and they include transfers!

Great cruise company, great ship, great ports, and great price -- affording me more cash to travel more often!

Small world indeed, it looks like we share the same taste in cruises! We cruised out of Venice on Royal Caribbean and spent three days there, and out of Istanbul on Azamara, where we also spent three days, so we just booked the cruise with nothing additional. It still seems like a long way off.

We tried to book in Australia for Istanbul to Barcelona but unfortunately Viking are not taking any Australian bookings yet, the current offer is for US residents only. Our travel agent has asked to be kept informed but no information yet on when bookings in Australia will open.

Kiki - when are they going to let you book in the UK? Have they said?

I think Host Andy mentioned the date or that it was coming soon, we're still interested even though it's still way off! I can't wait for my 2014 cruise, never mind one in 2015! :p

We are also going to book the entire 50-day maiden voyage from Istanbul to Stockholm. I am shopping around for the best category PV2 price and am getting lots of different quotes from agents. It definitely pays to shop around!!

The current $795 airfare deal expires July 31, 2013 but can be canceled with no penalty up until about 90 days before the cruise. Viking is known for using lots of legs on international flights (probably at least 2 stops each way) and of course charges $100 for an air deviation in order to fly in a few days early and/or stay a few days longer. But, I'm thinking the Viking air price with the $100 deviation fee won't be able to be beat in 2015.

We've been on one European river cruise with AMA and really didn't care for it, but I'm hoping that the food on Viking Oceans will be much better and I can already tell the cabin will be bigger and nicer. I just think it will be neat to be on a maiden voyage -- a new ship AND a "new" company!!

We look forward to meeting other CruiseCritic members on the Viking Star.

Janet and Phil

We are also going to book the entire 50-day maiden voyage from Istanbul to Stockholm. I am shopping around for the best category PV2 price and am getting lots of different quotes from agents. It definitely pays to shop around!!

We look forward to meeting other CruiseCritic members on the Viking Star.

Janet and Phil

Well, we will keep you company halfway, before disembarking in Barcelona. 22 days is about right for us...

Regarding the shopping around for prices, it hadn't occurred to me there'd be that much variation available 2 years ahead on a brand new boat's maiden. What kind of a spread are you talking about?

Interestingly, when we got the e-mail and saw the deck plans, there were literally exactly TWO staterooms that stood out for me, so we got on the horn with a Viking agent and snagged one of them the next day: one of the two starboard-side DV1 cabins on deck 8. Starboard will be the shore side on the journey west, and deck 8 will be a photographer's paradise. Except for the 4 DV1's, deck 8 is all PV1, and they show as "sold out" on at least the Mediterranean legs of the Maiden, so we feel fortunate... The ship's got one weather deck, and we're right there on it :cool:

Except for the 4 DV1's, deck 8 is all PV1, and they show as "sold out" on at least the Mediterranean legs of the Maiden, so we feel fortunate... The ship's got one weather deck, and we're right there on it :cool:

Well, scratch that... I meant PS1 :o

Regarding the shopping around for prices, it hadn't occurred to me there'd be that much variation available 2 years ahead on a brand new boat's maiden. What kind of a spread are you talking about?

For category PV2, the brochure price per person is $20,899 and the lowest I have found so far by emailing various internet travel agencies is $17,850. I will take those savings any day!

We go on many ocean cruises and I always shop around for the best price since there are do many different prices out there. I am not tied to using one agent forever and am up-front with them when I request a quote.

Congrats on booking the maiden voyage... I'm sure it will go off without a hitch, buuuut, I would read up on all of the issues Viking had in 2012 with the launch of it's Longships for river cruising. They were riddled with bugs and glitches, some of which took the better part of a year to correct. I believe this ship is being built by the same shipyard, and this is a new foray for them, with a lot of new innovations and grand ideas in place... I would definitely be cautious of the maiden voyage if you're hoping for an incident free experience.

The good news: you can move your deposit without penalty or fee up until 121 days prior to departure (including insurance); just be mindful of price increases that are expected to occur after July 31, 2013. The promotion you booked under ends then, and you will likely see a price increase as of mid-Aug (they usually extend a week or so after the advertised end date). If you move your deposit to a different sailing after this date, you will be agreeing to re-book under the current promotion being offered.

The better news: you can cancel all together (not that you would, or should) up until 12/31/13 without penalty or fee, which includes full reimbursement of insurance cost.

Just my .02!

OK we did it, Booked the April 11, 2015 cruise. We got a deluxe veranda on deck 4....TA not sure but seems to be an OK cabin.

Very excited for this trip....but it is a long way off!

Kathy and Matt

Hi Everyone, I have started a roll call for the 04/11/2015 under "other roll calls" come and join.

Kathy

I started one too, but it drops off page one in a few days, there are jut too many cruise companies and boats all in one roll call. I gave up trying to bump it to page one. Maybe we can get them merged?

Archived