Boston outskirts help

Ronsangel

Hi everyone,

Have read a ton on this board about Boston, to the extent that I have completely confused myself! I am hoping for a little advice.... DH and I will be traveling into the Boston area on July 19, departing on a cruise July 21. We envision arriving later in the day on the 19th, and will be heading to the cruiseport early on the 21st, so planning on spending one full day sightseeing ... hoping for Faneuil Hall, Freedom Trail, etc...just a walking around day.

I am a princess, but sadly one on somewhat of a budget, and since hubby and I are not nightlife people, am considering staying outside of Boston for the two nights, and driving into Boston on the 20th and parking for the day as we venture around.

My question - what areas outside of Boston are good (read: safe) to look in? Willing to pay in the $200/night range, but hoping this includes parking costs and a decent hotel.

Suggestions? We don't mind traveling into the city since it will only be one day.

If you're coming in from the west, there are a ton of hotels along route 128/95 between newton and Burlington that are inexpensive on the weekends because they cater primarily to corporate travelers during the week,

On Hotwire I'm seeing a 3.5* hotel With a 95% approval rating in the Burlington area for $68 + tax for your dates. I can't tell you exactly which hotel this would be, but based on the amenities offered it could be the Burlington Marriott. This whole area is very safe and has a lot of stores, offices, restaurants, and houses in a suburban setting.

On a Saturday it's a quick drive into Boston where you can pay to ditch your car for the day while you enjoy the city. It will also be a very quick drive to the port on Sunday morning. I would estimate 20-25 minutes.

With a $200/night budget your choices are large. Heck, with hotwire or other tricks you could probably stay in Boston for that rate. One nice suburban place my friends like is the Hotel Indigo in Newton, it's right at the end of the Green Line (Riverside station), so no need to drive into the city as a 45 minute trolley ride ($2.50/$2 per person) would get you anywhere you need to go.

Looks like it's around $150/night for the time you're in town.

Thanks for both your suggestions. I am leaning toward the Burlington Marriott as it would be nice to be so close to a big mall...being from Canada, there's some shopping that needs to be done on this trip! Just wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy for looking at a place outside Boston downtown in terms of distance, traffic, etc. Just can't justify the prices downtown when one of our two nights, we'll really only be in town to sleep.

Please understand that if you go with Hotwire the is no guarantee that the hotel will be the Burlington Marriott. What I can say is that a 3.5* property with 95% approval will be a nice hotel and it will be convenient to Burlington Mall.

If you come in the Mass Pike you would go north on route 128/95 to Burlington. To get into Boston you would continue north to I93 to have a free straight shot into Boston.

Thanks 138east. You are a great help!! The normal booking price at the Marriott isn't bad at all, so rather than risk Hotwire (I'll be honest...I'm a bit too much of a control freak to let fate and good guessing decide where I'll sleep :)), I'm happy to pay $138/night somewhere that I know has good reviews and is in a decent area. Having read the reviews, I think we can be happy there.

As for our day downtown...I see there is parking close to Faneuil Hall (according to their website). Is that our best starting point, or is there somewhere better to start our day from? We'll be winging it that day, but if you and others who know the area have suggestions for us, I'd appreciate the help!

Hi, I live in this area. The Burlington Marriott is nice, is not far from the mall (about a two minute drive) and has some good restaurants. Getting to Boston from this location might be difficult by public transportation on a Saturday (check MBTA dot com for schedule) but driving should be pretty easy (though 128/93 is among the most challenging highway interchanges in Mass!)

Another option to look at would be the Residence Inn in Woburn. That is closer to Rt. 93 (best way to Boston if you want to drive and you do not need to get on 128) and also close to the Anderson Transportation Center where you could catch a commuter rail train to North Station and be right in the area you want to see without worrying about finding a place to park. There is a Target close by as well as the Woburn Mall (Talbots Outlet and Appleseeds Outlet are always fun for ladies clothes!) There are many restaurants in the area also. The Burlington Mall is about a 10 minute drive from this location.

If you didn't want to venture into Boston, there are things to do and see right in this area. In Woburn, if you arrive early enough on Friday, you could stop in to see the Woburn Public Library - one of the most beautiful buildings in the area (closes at 5:30 on Fridays and not open Sat/Sun during the summer.) A short drive south on 128 would bring you to Rt. 2A where you could follow the path of the Minutemen from Lexington to Concord. All of that is free and less commercial than the Fanueil Hall area.

I am guessing, coming down from Canada, you will be on either Rt 3 or Rt 93 through New Hampshire? If so, anything in this area will be easy to get to and only about 25 minute ride to the pier. Parking there is no problem, just make sure you have a good navigator as I find the twists and turns to the pier hard to follow!

Safe travels!

Archived