Public Restrooms

Shipcats6

Trust me that we do understand the situation (we are also seniors) better then we can fully explain here (no toilet humor please).

Hank,

At 65 years old you are barely a senior. Get back to me in 12-15 years and see if you still think the same way.

And then you go on a long diatribe marginalizing it.

Got it.

How is giving factual information and my honest experiences "marginalizing" something? And why must you respond in such a cutting manner to those who are civil to you in their responses?

How is giving factual information and my honest experiences "marginalizing" something? And why must you respond in such a cutting manner to those who are civil to you in their responses?

According to you, restrooms in Italy are plentiful, available and just as clean as in the US, so this is not an issue travelers should be concerned about when visiting.

That's your factual information, right?

According to you, restrooms in Italy are plentiful, available and just as clean as in the US, so this is not an issue travelers should be concerned about when visiting.

That's your factual information, right?

If that is what you got out of what I posted, I give up.

Clearly you are right on this issue and are determined to have the last word, so feel free. I cede.

Have usually had no trouble/finding using the restroom in places like McDonalds, Burger King etc. in Europe, Spain etc. However not the case at these anywhere in China...as no public restrooms are available (thought this was a world wide given)...Hated the squatty pottys but at least some had a handicapped stall which would maybe have a western toilet and thanks to research, always had my own TP & hand sanitizer as most all not only had no paper products or hand dryer but no water as well. I found China to be the most difficult to manage as compared to elsewhere.

Hank,

Once again, people who travel to Southern Europe need to understand something so basic we take for granted in the US is not so easy to come by there.

I think you also simply have no concept of how difficult it is for elderly people to be able to "hold it" until they can find a coffee shop or restaurant that has a restroom in which they don't have to descend or climb a steep, narrow spiral staircase to get to. I don't think you understand how hard it is to "hover" over a toilet without falling backwards. And you're simply not going to convince me not having a toilet seat is somehow more sanitary. Please link me to any reference to any regulation that prohibits toilet seats. That is simply bunk.

Termini station in Rome, in spite of its massive size, multitude of shops and restaurants and huge amount of traffic has one pay toilet below ground. The train I rode from Civitavecchia had a toilet on it, but I didn't think to take advantage of it before I arrived at Termini. Big mistake.

Perhaps you've never been to Pisa and the Field of Miracles and don't have a concept of its size. In all their many acres there are no coffee shops or restaurants. They only have one pay restroom in a remote corner of the grounds.

What you think is such a simple answer for you, simply does not work for everyone.

Agree..but the elderly aren't the only ones that "can't hold it" and I also could care less about public vs private..when I've "got to go" cost isn't an issue..location is ;)

If your European travels are completely dominated by the lack of US style free toilets --perhaps you'd be wiser to limit your travels to your comfort zone---my personal opinion on the pay toilets at the train stations is that they are stocked and clean--much more so than in our US travels---

Not sure what Pisa you visited but there is a Mc Donalds at one end a full service café at the other end and the referenced pay toilets are just off the center---another set of pay toilets is at the entrance area past the Tower

jmho

Paul

Archived