Public Restrooms

Shipcats6

That's because you have these things called unions. If a few more people got fired for not doing their jobs your restrooms would be cleaner.

Sorry, try again. All of that work has been subcontracted out to non-union companies. And we have gotten way, way off topic.

I have never been charged separately for toilet paper...

Agree, in every pay WC we went to the TP was already provided inside. Having said that, I would never travel without a stash of tissues and anti-bacterial sanitizer.

One thing I had worried about prior to our Europe trip was having to have the right coin for the bathrooms. In every place we went to, an attendant was there or there was a box to leave our money. We did not need coins to put into a locked door, if you know what I'm trying to say. :o

Sounds much like the USA, along with notoriously unafordable health-care.

A supply of coins and traveller-size tissue, you're set. As mentioned before, hotels are a great option.

I'd be quite satisfied having to pay an occasional a buck to use a clean public restroom and having free healcare. :rolleyes:

Your healthcare is not free! Someone paying taxes, is paying for it!

I can remember at least two stops on our recent trip to Italy where we had to pay for the use of a toilet. First one was in Lucca, disgusting place, no paper and charged 0.60 euro. I can't even remember where the other one was, try to block out those memories. I still love Italy. A lot of places in europe have no seats, one in Paris was just a hole in the tile floor.

Thanks to all who answered my question! I agree that it's only good manners to purchase something before using facilities at a restaurant, etc. - whether in USA or anywhere in the world. Used some real amazing restrooms in Thailand in the 70's. By amazing, read OMG.

The only place where anyone has tried to charge me for toilet paper was in Egypt. I always travel with either one of those Charmin travel rolls or at worst a packet of tissues.

I generally have no problem stopping for an espresso or something and then using the restroom. At least that way I get something out of the cost! (For the record, you can get a simple espresso for less than a euro at less touristy bars.) I can only think of one public restroom in Rome that I've ever used, at the metro stop near the Spanish Steps.

Toilets in restaurants/bars in Rome rarely have seats. It seems much more common in Rome than anywhere else I've traveled. I can only assume Romans have an aversion to them......! ;)

Edited to add: I should have specified that it's much more common than other places I've traveled in Europe. There are a number of places I've been where even a seatless toilet would be a vast improvement on the facilities offered.

Amen! Maybe the women just got fed up with always having to put the seat down and just did away with them ;)

I can't remember - are those cute standalone toilets in Paris pay or free?

Europeans grew up thinking it was less sanitary to sit on a toilet seat than to stand and squat over a hole. Many of them still squat/hover over seats. We lived in France for over a year and had this explained to us.

so, there you are spending thousands on a holiday and then complain for spending a Euro or two (IF that much) for a clean, public restroom?

Tell me, where in - for example - New York will you find a clean, free-of-charge and SAFE public toilet? One that actually does have all seats, no graffity, drug adicts or other unsavoury characters lurking around?

Facilities in hotels, restaurants (fast food or otherwise), department stores, libraries etc do not count.

Totally agree, and I'll add that we have paid to use the restroom on some of the Caribbean islands in the nice malls! How you equate them having Universal Healthcare to offering tourists a free, clean bathroom is quite a jump too! How are these two issues connected????

And my guess is you are not a senior. Seniors need restrooms more often and in short order even if they are wearing Depends.

I'm a senior and had no problem in Italy finding a restroom. They have them at all the restaurants, cafes, museums, the Colosseum,...every place where the tourists end up. I never once ran into a situation where I needed a restroom break and couldn't find one.

First, keep in mind I brought up Termini station. Is that not a government entity? Only one restroom in the entire station located downstairs and you have to pay?

Second, as I stated above, providing clean restrooms for the public in restaurants is required by Municipal Health Departments in the US. Yes, you can always find a nasty restroom somewhere, but they are the exception and not the rule by far.

When you are stating the regulations here in the U.S., you do realize they don't apply to Europe, right? When Europeans visit the U.S., I'm sure they are shocked by some of our regulations and some things we think of as normal. Roll with the culture of the country you will be a guest in would be my advice. I didn't like the "light Coke" in Rome, but I would never presume to tell them how much better "diet Coke" in the U.S. tastes. It is, after all, their country. Americans complaining about everything not just like it is in the U.S. is hilarious. You are in THEIR country.

I'm a senior and had no problem in Italy finding a restroom. They have them at all the restaurants, cafes, museums, the Colosseum,...every place where the tourists end up. I never once ran into a situation where I needed a restroom break and couldn't find one.

When I say senior I'm referring to someone who is at least well into their 70s and somehow I don't think you are.

You should try getting an 83 year old woman with double knee replacements and about a six inch stride that really needs to go way across the Field of Miracles and around the corner to the one lone restroom.

Totally agree, and I'll add that we have paid to use the restroom on some of the Caribbean islands in the nice malls! How you equate them having Universal Healthcare to offering tourists a free, clean bathroom is quite a jump too! How are these two issues connected????

That's odd because I travel the Caribbean all the time, especially Mexico, where I've consistently found more available public restrooms and they are much cleaner than the ones I've struggled to find in Spain, Southern France and Italy. I guess Mexican culture and sanitation is just more developed.

That's odd because I travel the Caribbean all the time, especially Mexico, where I've consistently found more available public restrooms and they are much cleaner than the ones I've struggled to find in Spain, Southern France and Italy. I guess Mexican culture and sanitation is just more developed.

I've been in nice public toilets as well as nasty ones in most countries. I don't think you can generalize too much about these things.

We spend a lot of time traveling in Europe and DW depends on me to find her rest rooms on demand. Personally, neither of us are big fans of public facilities (paid or free). Europe has wonderful cafes and we prefer to grab an expresso, glass of wine, beer, etc. at a nice café and use their facilities. Europe also has its share of McDonalds, Burger Kings, KFCs, etc where the free rest rooms are readily available without the need to buy anything.

Hank

We spend a lot of time traveling in Europe and DW depends on me to find her rest rooms on demand. Personally, neither of us are big fans of public facilities (paid or free). Europe has wonderful cafes and we prefer to grab an expresso, glass of wine, beer, etc. at a nice café and use their facilities. Europe also has its share of McDonalds, Burger Kings, KFCs, etc where the free rest rooms are readily available without the need to buy anything.

Hank

In other words, some of the same American Businesses that beat into me as a very young man the importance of sanitation and clean restrooms. Nothing says hospitality and welcome like providing weary travelers your facility.

I've been in nice public toilets as well as nasty ones in most countries. I don't think you can generalize too much about these things.

Thank you for the most sensible comment about this topic!!

I've seen absolutely disgusting public toilets in many places in my US travels. San Antonio TX, San Francisco and (sadly) my own city Atlanta have some I won't soon forget visiting.

Conversely, I've been to some perfectly nice facilities in Europe. Some spotless ones in Copenhagen and, funniest of all, in one of the London Metro stations, I had to use the bathroom. I entered to find a big sign inside the Women's that said "VOTED BEST LOO IN LONDON" with a news story posted below verifying it. (It actually WAS very nice...!)

This thread has me thinking about all the strange restrooms I've visited in my travels. My favorite is "the Loo with a View" on an island at the top of Victoria Falls in Africa. We went with a a group of 15 or so for cocktails at the top of the falls, and there was a lone toilet screened on just one side from the rest of the island. There was a wait to use it, bc everyone was taking photos out over the falls and generally having a laugh mooning the jungle or whatever...:)

I think the falls were so awesome, adding a little bathroom humor somehow made them more accessible. Hope that helps get the Penn Station bathrooms out of your mind!

Thank you for the most sensible comment about this topic!!

I've seen absolutely disgusting public toilets in many places in my US travels. San Antonio TX, San Francisco and (sadly) my own city Atlanta have some I won't soon forget visiting.

Conversely, I've been to some perfectly nice facilities in Europe. Some spotless ones in Copenhagen and, funniest of all, in one of the London Metro stations, I had to use the bathroom. I entered to find a big sign inside the Women's that said "VOTED BEST LOO IN LONDON" with a news story posted below verifying it. (It actually WAS very nice...!)

The fact that the lack of public restrooms, clean or not, in Southern Europe is a topic for travelers speaks volumes, but it's not really much of an issue in Northern Europe. Just like issues such as bad roads, limited transportation, dumpy hotels or crime one would have to consider and deal with while visiting countries around the world, the lack of restrooms in Southern Europe is an obstacle to be aware of, especially for the elderly.

I've been to the pay toilet in London's Victoria Station and I was annoyed that I had to pay 7p to pee, but overall finding public restrooms in London is not an issue, nor was it in Copenhagen when I visited there.

Getting an 83 year old woman down and then back up the extremely steep and narrow spiral staircase at a restaurant near Notre Dame was difficult, but at least it was clean and the hostess was gracious enough to allow my elderly mother to use it.

I guess it comes down to a mindset and difference in attitudes between the US and Europe. In Europe restrooms are an afterthought while they are expected and even demanded by the public in the US. Think about it (ironically, no one really thinks about restrooms in the US), in the US you'll easily find restrooms at beaches, parks, shopping malls and on our interstate highways every 40 or 50 miles. Then every restaurant, every grocery store, Walmart, K-Mart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot and even automotive parts stores have public restrooms. It's all about culture and attitude.

When I say senior I'm referring to someone who is at least well into their 70s and somehow I don't think you are.

You should try getting an 83 year old woman with double knee replacements and about a six inch stride that really needs to go way across the Field of Miracles and around the corner to the one lone restroom.

Keep in mind that many public restrooms (pay or free) in Europe can also involve stairs as they are often in a lower level. As I said, it is usually easier to simply stop at a café/restaurant where, for the price of a drink/coffee you can use the facilities. If you have a concern about access difficulties its a simple matter to ask if their facilities involve stairs. Regarding the lack of toilet seats we can verify that this is seen a positive move for health purposes in many parts of Europe. In fact, some places have local regulations that prohibit the use of seats in public restrooms.

Hank

Keep in mind that many public restrooms (pay or free) in Europe can also involve stairs as they are often in a lower level. As I said, it is usually easier to simply stop at a café/restaurant where, for the price of a drink/coffee you can use the facilities. If you have a concern about access difficulties its a simple matter to ask if their facilities involve stairs. Regarding the lack of toilet seats we can verify that this is seen a positive move for health purposes in many parts of Europe. In fact, some places have local regulations that prohibit the use of seats in public restrooms.

Hank

Hank,

Once again, people who travel to Southern Europe need to understand something so basic we take for granted in the US is not so easy to come by there.

I think you also simply have no concept of how difficult it is for elderly people to be able to "hold it" until they can find a coffee shop or restaurant that has a restroom in which they don't have to descend or climb a steep, narrow spiral staircase to get to. I don't think you understand how hard it is to "hover" over a toilet without falling backwards. And you're simply not going to convince me not having a toilet seat is somehow more sanitary. Please link me to any reference to any regulation that prohibits toilet seats. That is simply bunk.

Termini station in Rome, in spite of its massive size, multitude of shops and restaurants and huge amount of traffic has one pay toilet below ground. The train I rode from Civitavecchia had a toilet on it, but I didn't think to take advantage of it before I arrived at Termini. Big mistake.

Perhaps you've never been to Pisa and the Field of Miracles and don't have a concept of its size. In all their many acres there are no coffee shops or restaurants. They only have one pay restroom in a remote corner of the grounds.

What you think is such a simple answer for you, simply does not work for everyone.

Interesting discussion for those into cultural geography or sociology.

I'm not trying to stir the pot (nor do I want to get blocked again), but, may I ask Florissouri a question?

Is the cruise you just took the beginning of May the first vacation you've taken in Southern Europe? I did see that you had a few TATL cruises, but I was wondering of you spent time after those or just did the cruise for the cruise? I'm just trying to get a handle on your reasoning.

In the US, we're so much more, well, puritanical and lawsuit oriented than probably anyplace in the world. We sanitize just about everything now known to mankind. I don't know how we came to wipe a kid's hands so often - I don't remember having my hands washed/wiped so much as a kid of the 50s. I think the obsession with clean took us over much faster than anyplace else.

We are a huge country. Before air travel was common and accessible to all, the typical family vacation was to pack up the car and travel. In order to try to attract those vacationers, the roadside restaurants and gas stations had to come with things to distinguish themselves from the others. "Clean" and "Sanitary" and even "Free" restrooms were part of that. Where I grew up, not everyone had indoor plumbing. And, this was in the US, and not too long ago...

You just have to "go with the flow (no pun intended)" if you travel outside of your homeland. You have issues with toilets (quality and lack of) in S. Europe. I'm sure that travelers from Southern Europe have issues with some of our customs, too.

Oh, my first "hole in the tile" toilet was in Lucerne, Switzerland. Yes, Switzerland. Oh, not counting those "dig 'em yourself" catholes and the outhouses of camp and backpacking :-)

Interesting discussion for those into cultural geography or sociology.

I'm not trying to stir the pot (nor do I want to get blocked again), but, may I ask Florissouri a question?

Is the cruise you just took the beginning of May the first vacation you've taken in Southern Europe? I did see that you had a few TATL cruises, but I was wondering of you spent time after those or just did the cruise for the cruise? I'm just trying to get a handle on your reasoning.

In the US, we're so much more, well, puritanical and lawsuit oriented than probably anyplace in the world. We sanitize just about everything now known to mankind. I don't know how we came to wipe a kid's hands so often - I don't remember having my hands washed/wiped so much as a kid of the 50s. I think the obsession with clean took us over much faster than anyplace else.

We are a huge country. Before air travel was common and accessible to all, the typical family vacation was to pack up the car and travel. In order to try to attract those vacationers, the roadside restaurants and gas stations had to come with things to distinguish themselves from the others. "Clean" and "Sanitary" and even "Free" restrooms were part of that. Where I grew up, not everyone had indoor plumbing. And, this was in the US, and not too long ago...

You just have to "go with the flow (no pun intended)" if you travel outside of your homeland. You have issues with toilets (quality and lack of) in S. Europe. I'm sure that travelers from Southern Europe have issues with some of our customs, too.

Oh, my first "hole in the tile" toilet was in Lucerne, Switzerland. Yes, Switzerland. Oh, not counting those "dig 'em yourself" catholes and the outhouses of camp and backpacking :-)

sligergirl,

I'm a simple, small town guy born in the 50s who grew up in the Missouri Bootheel in the 60s. My upbringing was so simple I actually drank water from a garden hose as a kid! :eek:

I also had a paper route when I was 11, 12 and 13 in which I delivered papers from a bicycle AND I DIDN'T WEAR A HELMET! :eek:

Now I grew up in the flat, swamplands of the Mississippi River Delta, but many of my relatives lived in the Ozarks and I actually used their outhouse when we went to visit! :eek:

I also spent four years in the US Army, so l know what it's like to climb out of a foxhole and dig a cat hole out in the bush to use as a bathroom. :eek:

But...That was a half a century ago and we're now in the 21st Century.

The latest transatlantic on the Epic was my 4th in the last six years, plus I always took advantage of being there, flying to various European cities before and after each of those cruises so I'm pretty well traveled when it comes to Europe. From that experience I can tell you there is a definite difference in how trashy, graffiti every Southern Europe (especially Italy) has become in the last six years compared to Northern Europe.

The lack of any restrooms (much less modern ones), though, has always been an issue with me and most European travelers I know, so I try to warn people of those realities even while others always attempt to marginalize it and pretend it's not an issue.

Hank,

Once again, people who travel to Southern Europe need to understand something so basic we take for granted in the US is not so easy to come by there.

I think you also simply have no concept of how difficult it is for elderly people to be able to "hold it" until they can find a coffee shop or restaurant that has a restroom in which they don't have to descend or climb a steep, narrow spiral staircase to get to. I don't think you understand how hard it is to "hover" over a toilet without falling backwards. And you're simply not going to convince me not having a toilet seat is somehow more sanitary. Please link me to any reference to any regulation that prohibits toilet seats. That is simply bunk.

Termini station in Rome, in spite of its massive size, multitude of shops and restaurants and huge amount of traffic has one pay toilet below ground. The train I rode from Civitavecchia had a toilet on it, but I didn't think to take advantage of it before I arrived at Termini. Big mistake.

Perhaps you've never been to Pisa and the Field of Miracles and don't have a concept of its size. In all their many acres there are no coffee shops or restaurants. They only have one pay restroom in a remote corner of the grounds.

What you think is such a simple answer for you, simply does not work for everyone.

Trust me that we do understand the situation (we are also seniors) better then we can fully explain here (no toilet humor please). We never said we agree with the European idea of toilets without seats. In fact, DW can attest to the difficulty of that problem and she "fondly" remember being in Switzerland years ago when they at least had some ropes she could use to hang on :). We could also talk about cruise ship excursions on buses without emergency "facilities" which is only one more reason why DW and I prefer to avoid most "cattle call" excursions.

So we can agree that there are no "simple" solutions and one most often depend on some common sense and taking advantage of whatever option best works at the time. But as we like to emphasize, there are generally far more cafes/restaurants in most European places then there are public rest rooms. When one does extensive independent travel (we have been doing this for about forty years) one learns to go with the flow :)

Hank

The lack of any restrooms (much less modern ones), though, has always been an issue with me and most European travelers I know, so I try to warn people of those realities even while others always attempt to marginalize it and pretend it's not an issue.

I don't know that folks are trying to marginalize it. I think you may have done a disservice to your message originally by somehow conflating availability of toilets with provision of free health care and contrasting this with the US.... It seemed your initial message was about your being miffed more about the charge for use than for availability.

All I can say is that I've rarely had to look far to find bathroom facilities in any relatively tourist-centric city in the Southern Med, but then I am not hampered by infirmity or mobility issues, nor do I have an over-frequent need to use such facilities. I don't see it as much of a hardship for anyone, mobility limited or not, to take an escalator to another floor to use a toilet. Certainly in my local malls (of which we have plenty here in Atlanta), there are not public toilets located on every floor.

I would think that if one has specific issues, one does need to plan carefully whether that means using some sort of mobility assistance or taking tours where regular restroom stops are pretty much guaranteed.

In thinking about availability, I can definitely recall availability of toilets at most major sites I've visited in Rome (for example, at the Colosseum, at Palatine Hill, at museums such as the Capitoline, National Museum(s), Vatican, etc.).

Archived