My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi everyone! New at this -not sure which post I am replying to. This is for Gettingno - will absolutely let you know what we find out regarding tours. How will we find you on the ship?? Is internet readily available in Havana? We will arrive on Wednesday in Havana -hired a private guide and staying at Casa Particulares. If you are still there, maybe my hubby and I can meet you in the evening on Wednesday at a hotel in Havana- for mojito??! We hired private guide to go to Vinales Saturday. Heard it is beautiful!

If I find something out about tours I let you know too.

About the internet in Havana and other parts of Cuba I would just say this. FORGET about it while you in Cuba. Do things you have to do via Internet before you arrive in Cuba.

There are only a few spots where internet is available. The best would be you go to a Hotel, for example Melia Cohiba Havana and buy a Wi-fi card which you can use in the lobby.

Internet by phone using a sim card is not available at all!

There are a few state run so called "cybercafes" but mostly they are crowded and slow. Expect to pay around 4.50CUC for an hour.

Also the Wifi in Hotels is not cheap, I remember some time ago I paid 14CUC for 2 Hours at the Melia and speedwise also slow. Could be it's a bit cheaper by now but I guess not much.

Let's see about Wednesday, don't know if I'm in Havana. Best would be you send me an PM.

About Vinales and Pinar de rio, yes it's nice there and a nice break from Havana.

By the way I drove by the harbour in Havana tonight and saw the Luis Crystal laying on the Dock, wish I could board the ship already......but it's just another week to go

If you are interested in sharing costs, we are also interested in "other than ship" excursions and I am in touch with Pototo re accommodation in Havana after the cruise.

It would be fun to share an excursion with others. We will be in Havana on Wednesday - made arrangements through Cuba Adventures and staying at Casa Particulare. They were great!

Heard from Pototo and we have arranged tours with him in Holguin and Cienfuegos/Trinidad. I am new to this site and not very good at manipulating so if you know how to send me a private message, we can discuss details.Thanks!!

If I find something out about tours I let you know too.

About the internet in Havana and other parts of Cuba I would just say this. FORGET about it while you in Cuba. Do things you have to do via Internet before you arrive in Cuba.

There are only a few spots where internet is available. The best would be you go to a Hotel, for example Melia Cohiba Havana and buy a Wi-fi card which you can use in the lobby.

Internet by phone using a sim card is not available at all!

There are a few state run so called "cybercafes" but mostly they are crowded and slow. Expect to pay around 4.50CUC for an hour.

Also the Wifi in Hotels is not cheap, I remember some time ago I paid 14CUC for 2 Hours at the Melia and speedwise also slow. Could be it's a bit cheaper by now but I guess not much.

Let's see about Wednesday, don't know if I'm in Havana. Best would be you send me an PM.

About Vinales and Pinar de rio, yes it's nice there and a nice break from Havana.

By the way I drove by the harbour in Havana tonight and saw the Luis Crystal laying on the Dock, wish I could board the ship already......but it's just another week to go

Thanks so much for the info, etc. Have arranged tours with Pototo - he has been very responsive. I am not sure how to send a PM so can you initiate one that I can reply to. So sorry...

It would be fun to share an excursion with others. We will be in Havana on Wednesday - made arrangements through Cuba Adventures and staying at Casa Particulare. They were great!

Heard from Pototo and we have arranged tours with him in Holguin and Cienfuegos/Trinidad. I am new to this site and not very good at manipulating so if you know how to send me a private message, we can discuss details.Thanks!!

my direct email address is gordpope"at"shaw.ca. If I understand this website, it does not like you putting a real email address in so you have to disguise it. You could try to reach me directly by putting the real at sign where I have "at".

Gord

Thanks so much for the info, etc. Have arranged tours with Pototo - he has been very responsive. I am not sure how to send a PM so can you initiate one that I can reply to. So sorry...

didn't know that we can't PM here. Anyway you can contact me by email too.......Same as my name here plus at gmx.net

For the moment, may I play an armchair director for Your Cuba Cruise. The cruise itself is turning out to be an international success by virtue of the critiques and comments. Why then has the ship not been filled to capacity? Even with the generous two for one offer there will be some vacancies on our cruise. One need but look at the difficulty of air travel to both embarkation points. Lower fares have vanished and those remaining are of a 10 or more hour duration involving third countries. Those Charter flights being offered encompass holiday vacations in Cuba prior to the cruise, which not everyone has the time, interest or authority to book. Should this cruise be repeated next winter and we know of no one who does not want that to occur, it should also be offered in some form of a package that includes air fare. We sincerely hope something like that can be accomplished.

Edited by ONT-CA

For the moment, may I play an armchair director for Your Cuba Cruise. The cruise itself is turning out to be an international success by virtue of the critiques and comments. Why then has the ship not been filled to capacity? Even with the generous two for one offer there will be some vacancies on our cruise. One need but look at the difficulty of air travel to both embarkation points. Lower fares have vanished and those remaining are of a 10 or more hour duration involving third countries. Those Charter flights being offered encompass holiday vacations in Cuba prior to the cruise, which not everyone has the time, interest or authority to book. Should this cruise be repeated next winter and we know of no one who does not want that to occur, it should also be offered in some form of a package that includes air fare. We sincerely hope something like that can be accomplished.

I agree with on you on the high air fares. Even from Miami, during high season, fares to the Caribbean were astronomical and resulted in our cancelling a cruise we were looking forward to. At the same time, this cruise company will have difficulty filling cabins without access to the U.S. market.

I think you are spot on with the vacancy situation. Getting to Havana is all I have researched since the storm in Toronto but I've learned that it is quite difficult, at least from Canada. There are options but only a few. I looked at all the flights arriving in Havana from everywhere and it really isn't that busy an airport, at least on the international level. Getting there from Europe or Central America seems to have more options than from Canada. I did find one from Miami which really was surprising. That being said, perhaps it would be a reasonably good move for the cruise line to look at partnering with Cubana Air. I know that means that we Canadians have to fly thru the ice box of Toronto, but it could be worth it.

Also, these guys will be in a terrific position if the US suddenly decides that Cuba actually exists on their doorstep and "lets her people go".

Hopefully we'll see some of you next week. I'll post whatever I get from Pototo and his head guide Yari. There should be some sharing opportunities between us somewhere.

Gord and Carol

Hopefully we'll see some of you next week. I'll post whatever I get from Pototo and his head guide Yari. There should be some sharing opportunities between us somewhere.

Gord and Carol

Point Match and Set on Cubaña Air. We're aboard for the weeks of the 10th and 14th and now looking out our window I wish we had booked the 21st. What a winter. Yes, we hope to meet up with you in this time frame and will be known to the bar staff as the Bourbon Manhattan Canuk and his Bill W. Cola partner.

I agree that the cost of air to Cuba for the cruise is & will be critical to it's success especially for Canadians..but then air from Canada to any southern cruiseport has always been an added expense unless you catch a deal.

Cubana Airlines partners with Hola Sun who is offering Cubacruise packages so not sure if they'd be interested or able to be a 'preferred air suppplier' for Havana flights - Transat Holidays is also offering cruise packages as well and they are partnered for air with Air Transat and CanJet so that leaves WestJet, Air Canada & Sunwing providing charter flights into Mo Bay & I don't forsee any of them lowering fares as Jamaica is a HUGE travel destination thus they charge more money.

I think people need to keep in mind that Cubacruise is not your typical all inclusive vacation to Cuba at a resort where tour operators can offer discounted charter/package prices because of volumes etc... Cubacruise is a perpetual cultural cruising experience sailing around the entire island which (as all cruises do) comes with value added cost.

Looking forward to everyones feedback on their Cubacruise experience hopefully before we sail Feb 28 from Mo Bay. Keep up with the great posts...

Have a great experience and safe journey everyone!!

Ironically I just came across the latest offers from Transat Holidays for the cruise sailing from Montego Bay (re 2 for 1 sale available to book until Feb 28) double occupancy rates - prices include flights, transfers and cruise PLUS you have option to purchase a $100/ person beverage package of 2 alcohol drinks, 2 water, 2 speciality coffee (only available thru Transat Holidays)..

Note that price for second passenger for all cabin categories is $329 + $585 tax = $914

Cabin pricing 1st person & total for 2 persons

Cat 1B inside - 1st person $1129 + $585 tax = $1714 or for 2 totals $2628

Cat XA o/view-1st person $1259 + $585 tax = $1844 or for 2 totals $2758

Cat XD o/view-1st person $1389 + 585 tax = $1974 or for 2 totals $2888

In comparison, I was able to secure a CAT 'S' suite plus air with WestJet and independent transfers to/from MBJ/port for less than the Cat XD price offered by Transat. However, we will be arriving a day prior to sailing just in case of weather as we fly from Toronto so incur an overnight stay $100 & meal(s) -

The tax amount includes port taxes as well so flight tax is $455 which is brutal but that's how she rolls up in the great white north...

Hi all!

Just sitting at Mo Bay airport waiting for our A/C Rouge flight in 5 hours!

We had a great time & I'm enjoying free wifi here as it was too hard to do on the ship.

I'll write more later but want to point out a couple of things.

The excursion, snorkeling at the beautiful beach was cancelled as was the Vinales one for lack of interest .

The drink prices & photo prices were really reasonable & Ricky the photographer is great & such a nice guy

No Bingo all week due to lack of interest. :-(

We were blessed with beautiful

weather & loved our XE cabin 6212.

The size of the ship is great, too bad my pedometer died so I don't know how many steps were required to go right around deck 5.

I met the girl who promoted the cruise

& she said the air arrangements were

difficult but the cruise will go again next year.

Be aware that sometimes a fee of 2 to 5

CUCs was required to take photos in the theatre at Cienfuegos., Tropicana. & the arch. Museum in the Cuba Life Tour which was a lovely tour.

Our arrival to Santiago was delayed because of a problem at the Antilla port

so times were changed. Perhaps Adam wrote of the problem on his CC report.

I met Adam the CC person from UK, another CC member & someone from TA who by the way were from the USA.

Anyhow if all goes well well be home around midnight .

Feel free to ask any questions & you who are waiting to go are so lucky.

I might do it again next year if the price is right.

Ont-ca- I bought DH a guayabero

For 15 CUCs at the market on the

Cuba Life tour by the beach. He looked sharp in it with his tan. It was the white 4 pocket cotton model with some eyelets & buttons .

Pre cruise we did go to the Bird Sanctuary &saw the JamaicanTody but unlike Kim Viktor never saw the sweet little Cuban one.

I bought post cards really cheap with the stamp on it & mailed it at a unique mail place on the Cathedral Sq in Havana.

Remember your marker if you want to leave your mark by the Hemingway bar.

Sorry this is so scattered, I hate posting on my iPhone .

Read your program carefully! I missed out on Champagne for $2.50 at the BBQ after the beach.

Going to check out Adam's report.

Jo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi ~ Jo ~

Welcome home. Wait until you see your driveway. We were hit with a lot of snow while you were away. But what better review of the cruise than wanting to go back next year. But then we are thinking the same thing sight unseen. We depart tomorrow for Havana. Thanks for the tip on the shirt. With only so much time and yet so much to see I guess Bingo will be left to the other lines. And although a little late for us, the information supplied by cookingcountrygal is most interesting. Wish we were privy to that earlier. Seems that next season should get off to a better start. Looking forward to your full review if we can hook up to the Wi-Fi. Any idea of the costs for that?

Mrs Rollerblader and I have just returned to the cold northland after a wonderful week aboard the Louis Cristal. We can't say enough nice things about this cruise.

Embarkation/disembarkation was the easiest we've ever had. (I'll admit our prior cruising experience is limited compared to many on this board... only 3 previous cruises, all on various big RCI ships).

The entertainment on-board is absolutely outstanding. The ship's band, Havana Moon I think they called themselves, is better than ships of twice this size. These guys are Cuban musicians who don't get much chance to play outside their own country I would guess. They are fantastic.

The evening shows were terrific. The singers, dancers and gymnasts are world-class. Every one of them was great. The theatre is also a nice cabaret style layout with comfy couches, chairs and tables, rather than rows of seats.

Danny, the cruise director, is a wonderful. He speaks several languages, and has a great sense of humour. He gave a bridge tour to 5 of us so we got to speak with him in a smaller group.

The food was good, as were the dining room staff. Some of the breakfast buffet items did not stay hot, but this may be due to the small number of passengers resulting in food sitting out for a while. With more people, they would be refilling the trays more often. Omelettes can be made to order so they were always hot. Lunch and dinner offered at least three choices from the menu for appetizers, mains and deserts. But if you didn't see anything you liked, the waiters were more than willing to find something else for you. Everything I had was good. The creme brulee wasn't really creme brulee, but it was a great custard desert. How can a French chef not know how to make creme brulee! :) Drinks and wine were reasonably priced. Everyone ate far to much, as usual.

The ports of call were fascinating... we saw a big city (Havana), a very small town that seems to declare a holiday when the ship is in port so everyone gather on the main street (Antilla), a couple of medium sized towns (Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegoes) plus a deserted long white sandy beach.

Of course the ship also stopped in Montego Bay Jamaica. As relatively unadventurous travelers, we probably should have boarded here. Dealing with travel, hotels and food in Havana presents it's own set of issues. Cuba is not an advanced country when it comes to tourist infrastructure. Being able to retreat to the ship for meals and sleeping is a real bonus here. The Havana port of call runs from 8am until after midnight. This is lots of time to see whatever you want in that city. We shouldn't have bothered with a couple of extra days there before/after the cruise.

Don't plan on using the wireless internet on-board. It's slow and expensive compared to other ships we've been on.

The smaller ship was a pleasure. It didn't matter if we turned the wrong way or used the wrong set of stairs. You were never very far from where you wanted to be! We found almost all the other passengers very friendly. Don't bother packing a suit or formal wear. You won't need it. I wore a jacket & tie one evening, but would not have been out of place in business casual.

Welcome back to the freezing cold Retiring Soon (JO) & Rollerblade - thanks for taking the time to post info/reviews .

Ive several questions - which tours did you do - how were they - did you book thru ship or privately & if privately what was the price & which company /person did you book with?

What time were meals served - open til close times. Was there more than 1 restaurant open at a time (other than optional Alberta Steakhouse). Any other information re tea time, happy hour etc etc greatly appreciated.

Were there shows every evening & again what time?

How much was the internet or WiFi service onboard?

I am hoping to do private or self-directed tours for most ports & need dining/entertainment timeframes mainly for Havana as we board in Mo Bay so want to make the most out of our HABANA day..

Again thanks for posts & your time

ONT.CA have a great B2B & the Transat info unfortunately I just received today...

Cheers everyone - stay warm!!! Judy

Edited by cookingcountrygal
typo

Thanks Hazel - I had read your review soon after you posted & was intrigued by both your Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba independent tours.

Just wondering in Santiago if the bicycle taxi person spoke English as I speak very little Spanish & would like to know what we're seeing etc. - from what I'm reading this city/town doesn't really require an organized tour? Also did you dock there or were you tendered in?

Considering doing a tour offered by the cubacruise for Cienfuegos as need to see how their tours are & to compare with the others

I've requested private tour info from 3 Cuban sources for Havana as this is the city I really want to discover the most - all have got back to me just waiting for them to personalize the tours more to my liking and so far most pricing is really good.

Re Holguin - planning on staying in Antillas or that general area as have been to Holguin/Guardalavaca many times and have experienced almost all there is re the cubacruise tours . I truly love the little port towns & their simplicity, authernticity & love meeting the Cuban people who live there as I've experienced in Gibara so expecting much the same of Antillas & if not can always just go back to the ship

Thanks again for sharing your review & if you think of anything else that may help us please let me know.

Cheers - Judy

I was very pleased with the taxi tour we did in Cienfuegos. It was worth taking the guide at the botanical gardens (you have to request a guide when you buy the tickets at the entrance) as he explained everything. There are no signs on the plants/trees. The ship's tour is the same, but cost $68 per person. We might have had a little more explanation on the tour, but I read up about the town on the internet before we travelled.

In Santiago, the bike taxi driver didn't speak any English, but as I know some French I was able to work out what he was saying. It was unpleasant when he wanted more money from us. However we did see more of the town than if we'd just walked around on our own. There were also several vintage taxis waiting outside the port, priced at CUC 20-40 per hour, depending on the car. You can walk into the centre of town from the port in about 10 minutes, so transport is not essential.

Hazel

Thanks all who put in informative reviews of their trip. Just a couple of questions.

JO - You mentioned that a snorkeling excursion to the 'beautiful beach' was cancelled. Which city and excursion was this?

Also that the Vinales trip was cancelled due to insufficient numbers. Did those people who had booked these trips have sufficient time to rebook on other excursions?

JUDY - you gave some prices for the cruise through Transat and Westjet. What city were you flying out of? I am having trouble getting a quote on Transat, it says contact travel agent. I can't find mention of this cruise anywhere on Westjet vacations. Maybe not searching properly.

Thanks again to cooking, rollerblader, insider, retiring, and hlperez for their reviews for those of us still to go. Feb 21 out of MBJ for us. Working out of the Edmonton area currently, -22 here right now, going down to -29 tonite. :mad:

Counting down the days!

We fly from Toronto Pearson YYZ to MBJ on the 27th just in case weather happens on the 28th - booked all separately - cruise direct with Cubacruise & flight with WestJet as they had the best pricing for direct flights - I lucked into the Cat 'S' suite when I booked cruise as it just happened to appear a couple days after I bought air.. sounds like you've booked your cruise but now need air so you need to research flights or call Transat or WestJet or Suwning or whoever you can get flights with from BC - pricing is high this close in though.. where are you flying from and what are your travel dates as don't mind helping you find flights ..

Edited by cookingcountrygal

Hey Judy,

No we're all good for flights. Just wondering about the westjet vacation you mentioned. I couldn't find this cruise anywhere on westjet's vacation website. Sounded like you could book through them.

Also was wondering, is there any kind of ATM onboard that dispenses Cdn funds? Or can you get some from the guest services and put it on your shipboard account?

Edited by redrum42

Sorry for confusion Redrum -

WestJet Vacations who offers packaged vacations doesn't offer this product - when I say WestJet I mean just the airline - same company but 2 separate entities/offerings..

Currently Hola Sun out of Toronto is offering the cruise packages to/from Habana with Transat Holidays offering the cruise package from Mo Bay.

Have a great cruise - Cheers...

HI all!

I just typed out a long response to questions & Bon Voyage to ONT-CA & the darned thing disappeared, so frustrating!!:eek:

I'm too tired to do it again tonight so will try again tomorrow.

Internet ~ wifi cards are 30 mins for $15 CAD, 60 for $26 & 90 for $35.

Using their computers is 40 cents per download minute. Be sure to get the instructions or you'll waste minutes as it's slow & pay attention to where wifi is best.

You have to pay attention to the "Daily News" as meal/show times change according to where you are. Afternnon tea is between 4 - 5 pm but 2 for 1 happy hours also change.

That's all for now, sorry.

~ Jo~ :)

Thanks for the info Jo & so sorry your other post disappeared - frustrating PLUS.. That's happened to me on Tripadvisor in the past & for lengthy replies or reviews, I now put everything in a word file & then copy & paste into the message box. Find it easier to edit etc and for reviews have a template to use for future posts & saves time.. Looking forward to the other info you'll be providing. Cheers - Judy