My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I'd recommend this week long cruise, both for value and content. There is something for everyone here. I'm not going to bore you with information that can be found on the mycubacruise.com website; the information there is generally accurate.

We booked this trip about six weeks before the departure date of 19th December and the process was quite strait forward. It was done over the phone to the company's office in Calgary, Alberta, as this is a Canadian company. We dealt with a lady called Jane who was both friendly and efficient. Book as early as you can or you may not get the cabin type you want (as happened to us). Having said that the cabin we actually got was quite adequate for our needs, cabin number 7228 (see website: cabin layout). Being on the starboard side (right) is an advantage as the cruise proceeds clockwise around the island. On the port side there are excellent views...of the sea!

The ship herself, the Louis Cristal, seems to be one of two this company owns, is some 155 meters long, is 34 years old and can carry 1,200 passenger plus some 350 crew. This makes her quite small by modern standards but a lot friendlier. You get to know a lot of passengers & crew by the end of the week. A further advantage of being quite small is her ability to go where others are unable to...like the tiny port of Antilla, the first call after Havana.

You can join the ship in either Havana or Montego Bay in Jamaica. We started in Mo Bay and this was the first time the ship had passed this way this season as it had come across the Atlantic from Priaeus via various stops on the way, the last being St. Lucia. Joining was quite easy but there were only some hundred joiners over the four hour boarding period so there were only a couple of other families in immigration at the time. We were shown to our cabin via reception where there is a little form filling for Cuban tourist cards, credit card deposit, and so on. Incidentally, you don't need to get a visa in advance, a point not covered at all well in the information available on line. I had to call and ask several times as if you look on your local Cuban Embassy website it will say you need to get a visa before you leave your country of residence; not true in this case as it is all done on board the ship if you are joining in Mo Bay. Presumably you will need one if joining in Havana.

Our cabin (or stateroom as the marketing department likes to call it) was quite adequate. There is adequate storage for everything if you don't go too crazy. Bags the size of your average overhead stowage wheelie bag will go under the bed which is a great help. There is a good 30 inch LG TV with a truly dreadful selection of four channels with mostly advertising (although it does have all the latest connection facilities for running your own media if you have the correct cables), adequately comfortable beds, a good shower (with shower gel & shampoo dispensers), a small refrigerator and enough seating space to relax away from the bed. There is a charge for use of the cabin safe which is more than a little cheeky!

Both telephone & internet are available on board via satellite. Nothing is free of course but both Skype & Viber are disabled which I find both cynical and annoying. You can purchase one hour of internet for $CAD12, usable over period of 8 days. It is up to you to keep track of your usage time as there is no time base visible. There are larger packages available. It was actually very slow when the system was working at all and it was constantly saturated although the management were well aware of the problems. Heaven knows what it would be like with a full passenger load! Best to avoid all non-essential distance communications really.

Shipboard safety & security is taken seriously and you have to attend to your emergency 'muster station' with your life jacket within 24 hours of the ship departing. All activity on the ship is controlled via your 'ship pass', basically your room key with various additional functions, a system which seems to work well.

Now, excursions from the ship. See the website for details of what is on offer. You can either go the conventional route and tag along on these tours or with a bit of planning you can have a great time away from the crowds. A good & comprehensive guide book of Cuba is invaluable. Cienfuego, the first stop out of Mo Bay, is a good example of what i am talking about unless you particularly want to go to the very interesting botanical gardens outside the town or take the long drive to Trinidad. Looking around the town is easily done on your own on foot at a saving of some $CAD 50 per person. The same goes for Havana where you can walk from the dock to the Capitolo in fifteen minutes and get on the open topped double decker at a cost of about $CAD5 per person for unlimited use for the day. On a stop at the small port of Antilla on the Bahia De Nipe we hired a 1952 Ford at a cost of about $CAD80 for some five hours (without bargaining!) and visited two archeological museums in the area. If you want to cut yourself out of the crowd it is easy to do so at any point on this cruise, often at considerable saving, but of course you do not have the security of an organised tour. Timings for these tours needs some adjustment as there was a certain amount of chaos at the start of these tours and on several occasions the ship’s departure was actually delayed due to late returns.

On the last cruise that I went on some 15 years ago tipping at the end of the cruise was a real nightmare. Who to tip...and how much? And what about all the unseen staff in the background? What happens on this cruise is that there is voluntary $CAD10 per person per day added to your account at the end of the cruise which goes into a central fund for everyone which seems a lot fairer.

As always it is as well to check your account when it arrives on the morning of your arrival; there was an error in my account.

The level of personal service I would say is equivalent to a four star hotel...and I've been staying in four & five star hotels for the last 40 years!. On the last night we dined at the best restaurant on the ship, the Alberta Prime, paying a $CAD35 per person extra; I would certainly recommend giving this a try. It made the final evening on the cruise quite special.

And just a final note, there is a 'critique' somewhere on the site describing the cruise as like something out of the old British comedy series 'Fawlty Towers'; I think this is a very unfair comparison. This was the first tour of the season on December 19th so I think the company is entitled to a little slack while the weekly cruise beds in.

We called this morning and booked our excursions. A very friendly, helpful lady assisted us. We are thinking of doing a beach day when we are in Montego Bay. Doctor's Cave seems to be recommended on these boards. I am thinking it is easiest to grab a cab there and back. Has anyone been there before?

ONT-CA Thanks for the map of the area. It looks like a bit of a hike from the port to the Capital Building but I think we can do it. Should have lots of time to take plenty of rests!

Thanks again for all the help from everyone. You are a very friendly bunch!

Haven't been, but found this on Doctor's Cave Beach. Interesting that there is no cave anymore since a hurricane destroyed it in 1932.

http://caribya.com/montego.bay/doctors.cave.beach/

... And just a final note, there is a 'critique' somewhere on the site describing the cruise as like something out of the old British comedy series 'Fawlty Towers'; I think this is a very unfair comparison. This was the first tour of the season on December 19th so I think the company is entitled to a little slack while the weekly cruise beds in.

First and foremost, distant traveller, thank you for your critique of this marvellous cruise. We who had been aboard the Cristal have been anxiously waiting others to post their comments. We were aboard the ship when you embarked at Montego Bay, we having made the crossing from Athens.

When posting my comments about the 25 days at sea I mentioned that the primary language of the majority of passengers was German, a language I am unable to speak. But to make light of this disparity, I drew attention to a hilarious episode of Faulty Towers wherein a group of German guests had arrived and were about to dine. John Cleese (Basil) the owner tries his utmost, unsuccessfully of course, to prevent himself from the faux pas of mentioning the war. It was one of the funniest of the series and I wanted to humorously say that I had more success than he in avoiding the subject. The comment was intended for fans of this TV series and in no way was a reflection on the ship's accommodation, especially ours.

HI all!

Sandy ~ thanks for asking about the HOHO bus, DH & I might do that. I'd never heard there was one nor thought there would be, so good news.:D

Ron ~ I saw that lovely looking Church when we drove by to start the walking tour & it looks close enough to walk to. Further along the road is a flea market & DH said he saw the train station.

Kerri ~ nice info about Doctor's Cave Beach. Gerd & I stayed at Doctor's Cave Beach hotel & because their pool was under renovations were given a ticket to the beach across the street. Of course when we went over it was about to close so we could just see it from the balcony. It looks like a nice beach. From there we walked up to the Pork Pit restaurant to have some jerk pork. The beach is close to stores & hotels too on quite a busy street.

SDC11136.jpg.bd142500ade92ac0e9a6d36646f80afc.jpg

distant traveller ~ thanks for reporting back about your cruise experience, sounds like you enjoyed it.

We made the mistake of eating at the Prime Steak House the 1st night so

the regular food paled in comparison to that.

Today I called the Cuba Tourist Board in Toronto to see about getting a map of Havana & Trinidad but they closed for the holidays from Dec 24 & won't reopen until Jan. 5.

I also called the woman in Town who is going on the cruise. She learned of it from "Canada A.M." & is going Feb.2. They booked a package with Air Transa,t a week in Varadero then the cruise. The picture of me talking to her DH at the Christmas luncheon was in the local paper so reminded me of it. You had to use a magnifying glass to see us, the joys of living in a small town.;)

Have a great weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)

Kerri-Thank you for the info on Doctor's Cave. I found out a lot from some posts here on CC, but hadn't seen that link. Very interesting. I was wondering why it was referred to as a cave.

Distant Traveller-Thanks for the review. You answered some questions we were wondering about, and helped to get us even more excited for this cruise. We leave tomorrow to overnight in TO before our flight on Monday. With the weather forecast for this weekend, I am glad we are going down the night before to catch our flight.

Jo-You are welcome for the question, but the thanks for the HOHO bus info goes to Burm for supplying the answer! I think we are going to do this, so will let you know how it goes when we return. I wish we had thought to ask about a map of Havana also. I am hoping there will be a tourist bureau somewhere, or maybe the ship will have something?

Once again, thanks!

Sandy

If we were just a bit more flexible in our schedule next week, we'd be on our way to Cuba. Less than 700pp all in. Wow!

It's def in our plans for Christmas next. 😃

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Too bad, it would have been nice to have someone from this thread on the same trip! I understand what you mean about schedules, this was the only week that would work for us.

If we were just a bit more flexible in our schedule next week, we'd be on our way to Cuba. Less than 700pp all in. Wow!

It's def in our plans for Christmas next.

That is an unbelievable price. We paid $675 pp for our Air Canada flight, current price is now $840.27. At $700 all in, your cruise is free!!!! Who cares what cabin you get for a free cruise?

Do you know if they will allow you to pay air deviation and stay a second week in Cuba?

Who knows what the pricing will be like next year, as this cruise becomes better known and more popular. Most TA's know little about it and are not pushing it.

HI all!

Sandy ~ where in Ontario are you? Wishing you good weather for the trip to the airport & to the cruise.

burm ~ thanks for the HOHO info.:o

potterhill ~ ouch!:eek: That makes me wish I had waited in a way but I did get the type of cabin I wanted which isn't available now so that's something but don't know if it's worth all the extra $$$.

I just booked out preflight room at the airport hotel. The price is pretty high compared to what it used to be but I think it's the only hotel around there with covered parking which DH insists on. We came back one Feb. to quite a mess of snow & ice on our car which we weren't prepared for.

Have a nice day, doesn't sound like the weather will be nice tho'.

The HOHO bus sounds like a wonderful deal at 5 CUC. Did you see how far it goes? It goes all the way to Santa María del Mar, which is supposed to be one of the nicest beaches in Cuba. I wonder if there is snorkelling there?

But then there is always one, the bearer of bad news. However, it must be stressed time and time again, there are health issues within Cuba that are not to be ignored. Water and food can be the avenues to ill health for non natives. This is said not in regard to the our cruise or our ship but addressed to those accommodations ashore pre and post cruise.

Not wishing to immediately face the onslaught of winter after our cruise, we decided on a two night stop over in Havana before heading home. We chose a 4* hotel which for all intent and purposes was great. Their restaurant was very good. However on the final night we opted to have a simple pizza noting our early call in the morning. We arrived home to the beginnings of what was eventually diagnosed as both bacterial and parasitical contamination. Prescribed drugs are handling that very well. The transition from ship to shore can be deceiving. Yes, we drank only bottled water ashore but did not consider ice in drinks. A pizza prepared aboard the ship is not to be confused with one made ashore. We may never know for sure just what was the source of our contamination but when we return in February, and yes we will return in February, we will be more cautious when ashore. Post cruise symptoms were not enjoyable but pity anyone who experiences this pre cruise. Take all precautions while ashore.

Does any know of any good books that take place in Havana?

"Our Man in Havana" by Graham Greene. Also available in film starring Alec Guinness. From the 60s.

ONT CA- Would love to know what Hotel, although I understand the need for caution everywhere. We are booked into the Hotel Mercure in the old town.

... ONT CA- Would love to know what Hotel, although I understand the need for caution everywhere. We are booked into the Hotel Mercure in the old town.

It would be unfair of us to name a source without knowing for sure the origin of our difficulty. Suffice to say that it can happen anywhere even here in Canada, so an ounce of caution is worth a pound of cure...

Not wishing to immediately face the onslaught of winter after our cruise, we decided on a two night stop over in Havana before heading home. We chose a 4* hotel which for all intent and purposes was great. Their restaurant was very good. However on the final night we opted to have a simple pizza noting our early call in the morning. We arrived home to the beginnings of what was eventually diagnosed as both bacterial and parasitical contamination. Prescribed drugs are handling that very well. The transition from ship to shore can be deceiving. Yes, we drank only bottled water ashore but did not consider ice in drinks. A pizza prepared aboard the ship is not to be confused with one made ashore. We may never know for sure just what was the source of our contamination but when we return in February, and yes we will return in February, we will be more cautious when ashore. Post cruise symptoms were not enjoyable but pity anyone who experiences this pre cruise. Take all precautions while ashore.

Have you ever taken Dukoral? We have not had gastro problems for years since taking it before any vacation out of the country. (Remember what happened in Walkerton with the e-coli scandal? Dukoral would have prevented that problem)

There is a new product available called Travelan, which does basically the same thing, but Dukoral need only be taken once (twice the first time used) in advance of the trip, and I believe Travelan has to be taken before every meal.

You do need a prescription for Dukoral, but our insurance covers it. Travelan is available over the counter.

I read Our Man in Havana many years ago. I did enjoy it at the time, but it would be so much more meaningful today. Thank you for the suggestion.

Have you ever taken Dukoral? We have not had gastro problems for years since taking it before any vacation out of the country. (Remember what happened in Walkerton with the e-coli scandal? Dukoral would have prevented that problem)

There is a new product available called Travelan, which does basically the same thing, but Dukoral need only be taken once (twice the first time used) in advance of the trip, and I believe Travelan has to be taken before every meal.

You do need a prescription for Dukoral, but our insurance covers it. Travelan is available over the counter. /QUOTE]

Thanks burm for this information. Our doctor was amazed that after all the tours we have taken around the world we have not until now been affected. She is treating our problem but as yet has not presented a preventative method. We will now take up your suggestions with her. Thanks for this.

Edited by ONT-CA

http://www.dukoralcanada.com/

According to their website, Dukoral is now available over the counter in all provinces but Quebec.

My brother once became so ill on a business trip to Brazil that he thought he was going to die. His doctor told him to take Dukoral before he went away next time. That was the first we had heard about it, about 10 years ago.

It takes a week to take effect. Once we take it, we know that we are almost on our way!

Hi all!

Ron ~ I had a couple of drinks on the shore excursions & luckily had no ill effects. I did however have trouble at 2 resorts on the last night there with a 1 1/2 hour bus trip to Santiago de Cuba ahead of me next morning!:eek:

Sandy ~ you might see zebraprintsky on your cruise. She (probably younger than most pax) & her Jamaican DH (probably with a big smile on his face) got on at Montego Bay Friday. Bon Voyage!

p598738 ~ thanks for that website. I tried to get the app but because my Iphone is so old & doesn't have IOS 7 no go.:(

Glad we don't have to drive to the airport today, weather is not good!

Our flight back to London doesn't leave Havana until 8 pm so I am wondering what we can do during the day. The information from the ship says that we have to leave by 10:30 am, but I'm sure that I read somewhere that you could leave your luggage somewhere safe on the dock and use the facilities of the ship during the day. However, I assume that if you left the ship your card would be cancelled and you wouldn't be able to get back on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Janet and David

Our flight back to London doesn't leave Havana until 8 pm so I am wondering what we can do during the day. The information from the ship says that we have to leave by 10:30 am, but I'm sure that I read somewhere that you could leave your luggage somewhere safe on the dock and use the facilities of the ship during the day. However, I assume that if you left the ship your card would be cancelled and you wouldn't be able to get back on. Has anyone else had this problem? Janet and David

The disembarkation notification did offer a cabin for the day at a cost of $50. CDN., for those with late departures. This of course includes full use, showers, rest, etc. Such service is new to us and so are unable to comment further.

Edited by ONT-CA

potterhill ~ ouch!:eek: That makes me wish I had waited in a way but I did get the type of cabin I wanted which isn't available now so that's something but don't know if it's worth all the extra $$$.

I just booked out preflight room at the airport hotel. The price is pretty high compared to what it used to be but I think it's the only hotel around there with covered parking which DH insists on. We came back one Feb. to quite a mess of snow & ice on our car which we weren't prepared for.

Have a nice day, doesn't sound like the weather will be nice tho'.

We have some flexibility in scheduling but went on an Oceania Caribbean cruise in Nov relatively last minute. So things got rearranged. Some stuff booked next week that can't be changed.

I assume you are talking about The Marriott. We assumed the same. When we booked in prior to our cruise in November a man was saying his vehicle had been broken into while parked. Hmm. Interesting. So was ours. Lock was broken which we only knew because my husband was using a key instead of the remote. Vehicle was trashed. Nothing taken we could tell. I had left a brand new jacket in the back and it was still there. They have no security, no cameras and no liability. We will never park there again.

Park and fly much safer. Or a hotel with outside parking where no one is shielded from view. Personally I think it was an inside job. If I know of two, there must be many more. Cost us $$$ to repair locks.

You may want to rethink your choice of hotel and parking. 😄

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The HOHO bus sounds like a wonderful deal at 5 CUC. Did you see how far it goes? It goes all the way to Santa María del Mar, which is supposed to be one of the nicest beaches in Cuba. I wonder if there is snorkelling there?

The 5 CUC pp. HOHO bus must be the best kept secret in Havana. We now find out that it stops outside the Hotel Inglaterra where we stayed last season and were we were charged 60 CUC for a private tour. We also wanted to go to Santa Maria del Mar for old times sake, where we first stayed back in 1976 but was told there was no public transportation and we would have to take a cab. We live and we learn and so we also add our thanks for this.

Hi all!

Mo ~ yikes that was terrible! No, it's not the Marriott, it's Hotel Indigo & we've never had a problem. A long time ago we used Regal Constellation

who had a parking garage & were surprised to see a car there jacked up with no wheels!:eek:

Ron ~ that's strange you didn't see the bus, maybe it's a new service.

Sounds like you can see a lot of Havana with it. I usually take a HOHO bus & never hop off, I just want to get an idea of what's to be seen if I have time.

I plan to use the one in Barcelona at Christmas to see the lights. You can see Santa Maria del Mar in Feb if you can find the bus.

Counting down the days 'til we get away from this miserable weather!

...You can see Santa Maria del Mar in Feb if you can find the bus.

Counting down the days 'til we get away from this miserable weather! ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, we're counting the minutes...'till we lose the Hydro... What a miserable ice storm.

I vowed to leave this subject alone but this HOHO bus thing has me a bit riled. We saw the bus outside the hotel and did ask. We were told it was for a private tour visiting the city. When we approached the official Cuba Tourist office to find out about what was available, a tour was so arranged in placing our 60 CUC's in the pages of a book and a phone call was made. No receipt was offered. Our guide arrived sometime later and we were told to meet him at his car across the street in a few minutes... We got the tour in a much used Lada which ended with his proposal that we take him for a lobster dinner. We declined. This underground economy seems to be everywhere. This past visit and through a hotel employee we pre arrange for a van to take us from our hotel to the airport as we had a very early flight to catch. Arrangements were made and a price of 30 CUC's was agreed. At 5:30 am we were hurried not into a van but the official hotel bus for this "20 minute" ride to the airport. But when we went through the tunnel we knew something was amiss. An hour later and after a half dozen stops in the most unsavoury parts of the city to deliver what we do not know, we demanded that this stop and to get us to the airport immediately. The driver indicated he did not know the way. One thing we learned well in Cuba and that is the common sound and meaning of the word POLICE. That succeeded and we were immediately taken to our flight. I just hope he understood just why he did not get a customary tip.

Obviously a lot of people are helping themselves to whatever they can and as we well know that has been the ruin of many a tourist destination. I do not want to give the impression that this is the general rule for we have been served well and most graciously by many a driver and hotel employee. But from here on in we will take advice with a grain of salt and make our own arrangements with persons directly involved.