Insert it deep in the void behind,

Flip contents right and you will find

Wedges made to insert ‘tween drawers

Thus noise allay, (nay slamming doors).

But to whence replace upon adieu

For those of us who’ll follow you.

Did you make that up? Superb!

Hi Marg & Gary,

Cannot tell you how much we are looking forward to it. Minus 20something here today! See you soon!

Martha & Brian

We had a little frost this morning in Victoria, sunny and 7C now, rain showers and 8C on Thursday, then sunny and 10C on Friday. Right now we have a mid-winter high presure area of the coast and the storms are heading north, picking up the cold weather then head towards Ontario.

... If my math is correct, the Jan 30 cruise has the least cabins available at 27.

The sailing with the most cabins (121) available is Feb 9th & the only cruise with the SI available is March 2nd. The January sailings have sold the best but maybe because of the special offers. ...~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, that SI has been booked since two days after we disembarked on February 24, 2014... :D

From what you say, the two weeks we will be aboard will be busy, and it will not lighten up until after we disembark on March 9th. We were hoping for a more tranquil time aboard but then as long as we are there and not here that's fine with us

The US State department said the restrictions will be relaxed on Friday Jan 15. So according to the news release that means US credit cards can be used in Cuba starting friday.Furthermore they can now bring up to 100$ worth of Cuban cigars and rum into the US.

The US State department said the restrictions will be relaxed on Friday Jan 15. So according to the news release that means US credit cards can be used in Cuba starting friday.Furthermore they can now bring up to 100$ worth of Cuban cigars and rum into the US.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-30836679

Hi all!

Isn't today the 15th ?:confused:

Anyhow, I wonder if the acceptance of US cards will have any effect on the 10% premium to change US dollars. Thoughts?

Ron ~ sorry about the Si misinformation but I was so sure I saw one available on March 2.:o

I see there is a new unfavourable review of the cruise. I think the person's problem was thinking the ship would be like the name brand ones.

Most people really like the ship & that includes me.

BTW the new Quantum of the Seas only has a 35% approval rating whereas

this one is in the 70's.

Bon voyage to anybody sailing tomorrow. Hope zebraprintsky comes back soon with her & her DH's opinions.

~ Jo ~ :)

Edited by retiring soon
had to erase duplicate

... Ron ~ sorry about the Si misinformation but I was so sure I saw one available on March 2.:o ~ Jo ~ :)

Just as well Jo for that made us do a double check of our booking and all is well. Before booking, people should understand that this is a cruise like none other. Not only no formal nights but no undue formality, great friendly staff, wonderful entertainment but most of all great and fresh new ports to visit and experience. Yes, the food could be more grandiose but so then could the price tag. We think they have hit the right balance. ;)

Today I see that our cruise has 54 cabins available, the one before 75.

Another one I checked in Jan. only has 30 something.

Now it looks like your Feb 20th has 45 cabins available and our Feb 16th cruise has 59.

The one before that has 76 available...so with 480 cabins on board,but 135 empty till we get to Montego Bay, I'm thinking that is enough for both dinner seatings.

Did I say that I'm really bad at math though! :o

HI all!

Kerri ~ that's funny about the cabins available:confused:. I checked about an hour ago & saw 47 cabins on my sailing & 63 on yours (both down quite a bit from Wed.'s count). I hope there are enough people for 2 dining rooms to be open as that would be a change from last time.

Just 5 weeks from now until you'll be in Jamaica & we're flying towards it!

Sounds like the changes between Cuba & the US might be just what Cuba cruise needs.;)

Hi All

We will be on the Feb 16 cruise out of Havana and had a couple of questions. It's quite possible that they've been answered but the thread is pretty long and I might have missed them so i appreciate your patience.

I've heard complaints about nickle and dime-ing with things like the cabin lock box being an extra charge and having trouble getting "free" water.

Is this true? Are there other things we should look out for?

Is the steak-house worth the money?

Is the main dinning room OK?

Is it fairly easy to catch taxis and tours from the docks or are you at the mercy of the Louis shore excursions.

I'm sure I'll think of a million other things but I'll stop here for the moment

Thanks for your help

Marc C.

Hi All

We will be on the Feb 16 cruise out of Havana and had a couple of questions. It's quite possible that they've been answered but the thread is pretty long and I might have missed them so i appreciate your patience.

I've heard complaints about nickle and dime-ing with things like the cabin lock box being an extra charge and having trouble getting "free" water.

Is this true? Are there other things we should look out for?

Is the steak-house worth the money?

Is the main dinning room OK?

Is it fairly easy to catch taxis and tours from the docks or are you at the mercy of the Louis shore excursions.

I'm sure I'll think of a million other things but I'll stop here for the moment Thanks for your help Marc C.

We completed a back to back (two week) cruise last year. We again arrived at three ports in Cuba on the trans Atlantic. In all of that we have taken but one tour, with all other sightseeing being on our own. There are some cabs and a fair amount of Pedicabs at some of the ports. You can easily walk into Cienfuegos centre as well as Havana. So if the specific and perhaps unique things the tours offer you are not of interest to you, there is a lot else to see and do on your own.

The ship's tap water is just fine and we filled our plastic bottles with it and placed them in the fridge for the following day. We too were surprised by the charge for the cabin safe. I imagine some people with a fanny pack or the like can carry their currency and passports etc with them and would not need the safe so why should they have to rent one? We felt better for having it so paid the fee. As for the Alberta Steak house there are conflicting reviews both ho-hum and excellent. Like any restaurant some nights are better than others. Same goes for the dining rooms. Good night and so-so nights. (I hate it when the menu offers three of my favourite things all in one evening :mad:) This cruise is a very good deal and we are returning for two more weeks next month. When I look at the brochures for other lines sailing to the many been there/done that locations and at considerably higher fares and, may I add, all in U.S. dollars (20% today), dollar for Canadian dollar Cuba Cruise can't be beat even if as you put it there is a nickel and dime charge here and there. We're sure you will enjoy this cruise.

Anyone know what day the safety drill or muster is when leaving from Havana?

I can't seem to find it.

Ours was held on the following day, Tuesday at 10:00 am A safety DVD is shown on the cabin TV at the time of embarkation. During the drill each cabin is checked and the door marked as checked to assure everyone attends. Children must wear colour coded wrist bands. Those who attend the Havana drill are excused from the Montego Bay drill and vide versa.

Edited by ONT-CA

Hi all!

marcc ~ welcome to the thread & the week a few of us are on the cruise.

We also took our own water bottles & used tap water with no problem.

Most times on a cruise I use the melted water from the ice bucket.

I thought the steak house was worth the extra money I just wouldn't do it on the 1st night.

The food & the MDR were fine

Havana, Cienfuegos & Santiago de Cuba are walkable from the ship or you could hire a cab or something to go further afield. I mostly do ship excursions as I like to know about what I'm seeing, DH just walks around to see how the people live.

I don't get the expression being "nickeled & dimed" as IMO if it's not all inclusive there's sure to be extra charges.;) The good news for us is they're in Canadian dollars. The drinks are a fair price as are the photographs & so was the Bingo if we'd had enough people to play.

We didn't rent a safe as we don't carry much money & the passports fit in my purse.;)

Ron ~ I hate when that happens too or there's 4 appetizers & you like them all. Decisions, decisions!

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~:)

In looking at excursions the time in port and the excursion times don't seem to line up. A couple of examples:

Havana 9:30 AM to 11:30 PM Tropicana excursion returns at 12:00 AM !!

Santiago 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Gran Piedra returns at 6:00 PM !!

I haven't checked them all but the above look odd. Explaination ??

In looking at excursions the time in port and the excursion times don't seem to line up. A couple of examples:

According to their website, the ship does not leave Santiago until 19:00, so that one is ok.

Yes, the Tropicana one seems off. If one was determined to see the show, this is one excursion that you will definitely want to do with the ship - they will wait for you.

We plan to see the show earlier in the week, so that we will not have to leave early.

According to their website, the ship does not leave Santiago until 19:00, so that one is ok.

Yes, the Tropicana one seems off. If one was determined to see the show, this is one excursion that you will definitely want to do with the ship - they will wait for you.

We plan to see the show earlier in the week, so that we will not have to leave early.

Quite right Burm. I picked up the wrong time for Santiago. Havana is correct and the Legends excursion also returns after the 11:30 departure.

That recent terrible review said people were not allowed to take towels from the ship to the beach. The review was not credible, but is this correct? Would hate to have to pack towels!!

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/YouthIsland6.jpg

Sure does look like ship towels...

There is a provision that there will be a charge of $25 each for missing beach towels so make sure you return them to your cabin.

You have to appreciate that the ship is subject to tides and therefore arrivals and departures can vary each week. The appropriate arrival and sailing times for each day of the rotation around the island will be posted in the daily bulletin with an all-aboard time. You should make your ashore plans based on that.

HI all!

p598738 ~ thanks for mentionning the departure times. I've been using the papers from last year so will have to check the proper times. Last year the time in Havana was 1:00 am & I believe I was the last person on the ship as I got into the line for the other ship that was there.:eek:

Ron ~ thanks for posting that picture with the towels. That reminded me of how funny it was to see towel animals from those blue striped towels especially on the blue & green diamond patterned bedspread.SDC11398.jpg.7d2ec2a23aba82f636bbfe77f96cf4fa.jpg

Liz54 ~ funny how different that review was to the others! I can hardly wait to see how this bunch feels when they return.

Have a nice day.