My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi Martha

Yes, my sister and I board on Jan 26. I was on board last season with my husband about the same time of year. We are in south/central BC so flew out of Seattle and on to Montego Bay simply for fear of weather issues in Toronto. This time we got an excellent WestJet fare through Toronto to Varadaro. So we are on the beach for 4 days before sailing. But who knows. We just had our worst snowstorm in 35 years. 40 cm of snow on Monday kept many of us housebound. But melting today so it won't be around long.

We have booked the Tropicana visit through the ship on our departure day. Looking forward to that and our other excursions (all different than last year). Antilla Countryside, Panoramic Santiago Excursion and Waterfalls & Natural Wonders.

Going back to the topic of which credit card to take, I will say that I was happy to have an extra one with me last year. My husband ended up in a Jamaican hospital overnight at a cost of $2500. We, of course, had insurance and were reimbursed but that particular hospital did not have our insurance company on their list. So yes, take a card that has room for emergencies.

Keep warm everyone.

We just had a long chat with a friend of my husband who has taken tour groups. He gave us a lot of tips for Havana. If anyone wants his links etc. Email me at Martha e scott (all one word) at rogers dot com.

On credit cards he agreed with all said here PLUS. Be VERY carefully if you have an affinity card. Like a University one. They are often connected to US banks and will not work.

Hi Martha

Yes, my sister and I board on Jan 26. I was on board last season with my husband about the same time of year. We are in south/central BC so flew out of Seattle and on to Montego Bay simply for fear of weather issues in Toronto. This time we got an excellent WestJet fare through Toronto to Varadaro. So we are on the beach for 4 days before sailing. But who knows. We just had our worst snowstorm in 35 years. 40 cm of snow on Monday kept many of us housebound. But melting today so it won't be around long.

We have booked the Tropicana visit through the ship on our departure day. Looking forward to that and our other excursions (all different than last year). Antilla Countryside, Panoramic Santiago Excursion and Waterfalls & Natural Wonders.

Going back to the topic of which credit card to take, I will say that I was happy to have an extra one with me last year. My husband ended up in a Jamaican hospital overnight at a cost of $2500. We, of course, had insurance and were reimbursed but that particular hospital did not have our insurance company on their list. So yes, take a card that has room for emergencies.

Keep warm everyone.

We will have to meet up! We nabbed the SI big balcony so maybe drinks are in order. I cruise most years with my sister, but Cuba was too much for my husband ( a retired historian) to pass up on. So we are all going. My sister was going to stay home this year, Had to convince her to come. With this week's -25 temps, I am enjoying a lot of "I told you so". She will be very happy to get into the warm!! Me too!

Another Question

I understand about Credit Cards. Are there cash machines that accept Debit Cards (ours is TD) ? I know credit cards are allegedly more secure but if we run low on cash, I hate taking cash against my CC.

Another Question

I understand about Credit Cards. Are there cash machines that accept Debit Cards (ours is TD) ? I know credit cards are allegedly more secure but if we run low on cash, I hate taking cash against my CC.

FYI: The ship would not accept Debit Cards for account payment when experiencing Credit Card problems.

Picked this up on TripAdvisor:

Debit cards with the VISA logo are usually accepted by your tour rep to pay for trips as well as purchasing goods at outlets that accept debit cards. They can be used in ATM's (if you can find one and it is working) or to draw money from a Cadeca or Bank. MASTERCARDS will not be accepted in ATM's but, as with VISA cards, so long as they are issued by a non US based bank, can be used to draw cash at the counter of a Cadeca or Bank.

Hi all!

insider1649 ~ what excursion did you do in Santiago de Cuba last year please? I'm thinking of doing the Gran Piedra & Bacanao one & wondered if you did that & how much walking/climbing was involved.

Ron ~ wow are you up early or staying up late?! :eek:That's quite the time to be posting!

Talking about being sold out I see that my departure still has 56 cabins available while yours has 80. Looks like we're going to see what a fuller ship will mean to the cruise.

Oldgables ~ I'm taking a tour to Cornwall in June. I'm a "Doc Martin" fan so wanted to see the beautiful scenery in the area.

Here's a link from Cruise Critic & Adam who I met on the Cuba Life tour last year, to get us excited for the cruise!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1619

Have a great day & bon voyage to those starting their adventure tomorrow.

~ Jo ~ :)

... Ron ~ wow are you up early or staying up late?! :eek:That's quite the time to be posting!

Talking about being sold out I see that my departure still has 56 cabins available while yours has 80. Looks like we're going to see what a fuller ship will mean to the cruise.~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, at my age sleep comes in shifts... Besides the wood stove needed tending to if we are to not contribute to Hydro One'$ giant windfall due to this severe cold snap.

Yes, the flux in passengers was most notable when the ship took on passengers at Montego Bay. Suddenly staff who had the time to kibitz were runoff their feet. As much as I want this venture to succeed I hope we never reach a point where we become statistics.

The slides brought back memories of a Cienfuego boulevard where an old gentleman had before him a chess board and an empty chair. Anyone wishing to challenge him was welcomed to and we watch as he had more than one challenger walk away shaking their head in defeat. For me personally it is not the landmarks but the people I want to see. Just riding a bus taking in the vista of people reveals more of the soul of a nation.

Ron, where was it you had the funny incident with the pedicab driver being stopped by the police (he pulled out photos of his family)?

Santiago de Cuba

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/SantiagodeCuba216.jpg

I think you can appreciate the fact that I did not want to photograph the police apprehension. But this is the culprit who was fined but then who shadowed us throughout the entire remainder of the run in order to collect from us. I can only hope that our replacement driver pocketed the entire fare...After all, he had a licence...

we set sail tomorrow !!

Woke up this morning to my backup glasses, thanks to my momma sending them down from Canada and them FINALLY getting here!

We sorted out the insurance for the Hubs and thats printed out and ready to go.

All we gotta do is pack, and when I saw WE, I mean ME.

Ok, so I only have a small amount of Canadian money on me, and I dont want to take out money from the ATMs here in Jamaica, as I will only get US or JM. Are their ATMs on the boat or in Cuba that I will be able to use if I need to take out more cash? I only put a small amount on my credit card to use just for the ship account, and I dont want to take any advances off that while we are on the cruise.

anything else we should know before we head to MoBay tomorrow to get on board??

Santiago de Cuba

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/SantiagodeCuba216.jpg

I think you can appreciate the fact that I did not want to photograph the police apprehension. But this is the culprit who was fined but then who shadowed us throughout the entire remainder of the run in order to collect from us. I can only hope that our replacement driver pocketed the entire fare...After all, he had a licence...

That was such an interesting experience. I just reread it. :D

I have printed off some of those old posts to take with us for reference.

...Ok, so I only have a small amount of Canadian money on me, and I dont want to take out money from the ATMs here in Jamaica, as I will only get US or JM. Are their ATMs on the boat or in Cuba that I will be able to use if I need to take out more cash? I only put a small amount on my credit card to use just for the ship account, and I dont want to take any advances off that while we are on the cruise. anything else we should know before we head to MoBay tomorrow to get on board??

There was no ATM aboard. Your first opportunity for Cuba CUC's will be at your first stop, Cienfuegos. When you exit the Cuban immigration building make a hard right turn and there you will find a small shack-like Cadeca where they will convert any currency, including Jamaican (but avoid US dollar discounts). From what we understand you can also use your debit card at the Cedeca to take out CUC's.

Ok, so I only have a small amount of Canadian money on me, and I dont want to take out money from the ATMs here in Jamaica, as I will only get US or JM. Are their ATMs on the boat or in Cuba that I will be able to use if I need to take out more cash? I only put a small amount on my credit card to use just for the ship account, and I dont want to take any advances off that while we are on the cruise.

I read all my paper work yesterday and it said that the ship does not have any CUC currency on board. Don't know about ATMs for Canadian or anything else.

Hi all!

insider1649 ~ what excursion did you do in Santiago de Cuba last year please? I'm thinking of doing the Gran Piedra & Bacanao one & wondered if you did that & how much walking/climbing was involved.

Sorry Jo. I wasn't on that tour. It does sound interesting though.

we set sail tomorrow !!

Woke up this morning to my backup glasses, thanks to my momma sending them down from Canada and them FINALLY getting here!

We sorted out the insurance for the Hubs and thats printed out and ready to go.

All we gotta do is pack, and when I saw WE, I mean ME.

anything else we should know before we head to MoBay tomorrow to get on board??

We board in two weeks at Montego Bay, after spending less than 48 hours in Jamacia. Do they have departure tax on departure from Jamaica? Tell us how the boarding of the ship was, any problems with bringing things on board? How was the surprise?

Hope that you enjoyed the voyage.

i have been coming to jamaica for years and never have I or anyone I know have ever been charged a departure tax leaving the country.

i have over 200 in CA on me, which I will convert when we get to cuba, but just incase I was just wondering if I could use my debit card to take out cuc once I am there. I will figure it out once we get there I guess.

Time to pack! i will check back in when I am back in montego bay next week !

HI all!

Looks like Jamaica has both an arrival & departure fee but they're included in the air fare if on a charter or regular flight to/from US or Canada.

In checking the cabin availability today I see my cruise has 53 left, the Havana one before it 77 & the Jan 26th only 36 with one of the S1s still available! Looks like the XEs sell out quickly on all of the sailings.

insider1649 ~ thanks for the quick response. I think I will do that excursion

as I've wondered about those places for years.

Another snowy day here in the County. I hope all the snow gets out of the system before mid February!

Have a nice weekend & enjoy your cruise zebraprintsky!

~ Jo ~ :)

We use our bbq. It close and one of the perks of cold temps!

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:D the BBQ's not big enough.

I defrosted a huge freezer 3 days ago, planning to put the food back the next morning. Then I discovered that, in spite of a dropcloth, the water all went under the freezer to form a small lake. We vacuumed up the puddle with a wet vac, put heaters by the wet carpet, and it still took forever to dry.

The food will go back to the freezer today and I can use my car again.

We use our bbq. It close and one of the perks of cold temps!

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use our BBQ this time of year for cooking steaks outdoors this time of year in Victoria, it should be about 10C again.