My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

... Park and fly much safer. Or a hotel with outside parking where no one is shielded from view. ...You may want to rethink your choice of hotel and parking. 😄 Mo

When flight schedules demand it we use Holiday Inn at Dixon at the Toronto airport. We have seen their great nightly security surveillance in operation. Never had a problem and were always lucky with the weather. But otherwise we use Park'nFly (with coupons) and again always lucked out weather wise.

But for a chuckle, here's a parking tale for you. We used a private lot at Syracuse, NY, for a flight out of Hancock Int'l., for a one month cruise and tour. Returned to find out that an employee (since dismissed) had rented out our car for the month but had it cleaned and filled for our return. The police supported our position in not paying for the parking...

We are at our hotel across from the airport. We left earlier today and took our time. Roads were good, but so much traffic! Jo, we live near Sarnia and even coming through London was busy, although nothing like Toronto.

We have never stayed at this Comfort Inn before, but we are impressed so far. Very clean and best of all, they had a bag of small candy bars waiting in the room. My husband was grinning from ear to ear! The front desk is very friendly and helpful, and there is a pizza place and a pub connected to the motel which makes grabbing a bite to eat very easy.

Can't wait for the warm weather!

Sandy

We are at our hotel across from the airport. We left earlier today and took our time. Roads were good, but so much traffic! Jo, we live near Sarnia and even coming through London was busy, although nothing like Toronto.

We have never stayed at this Comfort Inn before, but we are impressed so far. Very clean and best of all, they had a bag of small candy bars waiting in the room. My husband was grinning from ear to ear! The front desk is very friendly and helpful, and there is a pizza place and a pub connected to the motel which makes grabbing a bite to eat very easy.

Can't wait for the warm weather!

Sandy

We love that Comfort Inn. Ziva always bends over backwards to accommodate us.

As they are a small hotel and across the street from the airport, their shuttle service is the best. Their hot breakfeast is wonderful, too.

Hi all!

Ron ~ yikes what scams!:eek: That reminds me that twice we went to the Cathedral on the square in Santiago de Cuba but it was closed due to black market activity. I guess when some people don't have much money they look for ways to make some, not always honest.:o

Fortunately we didn't get freezing rain just the wet kind. Did your hydro stay on?

burm & Sandy ~ that Comfort Inn sounds great, wish we could try it! We've used 3 Holiday Inns, the Carlingview Inn & now Indigo but like Comfort Inns usually when travelling for the breakfast.

If I'm not mistaken I know that a few of us will overlap on Feb cruises,

Oldgables, burm, Kerri, Ron & me. I hope we can manage to meet one another at some point. Anybody I've missed?

Today I see there are 60 cabins available on our cruise, 84 on burm/kerri & 52 for Jan 9. Hope to hear some feedback from a fuller cruise like did they open the other dining room, have 2 seatings, play Bingo etc.

Have a great week! Our countdowns are getting to more reasonable numbers now. Can hardly wait 'til single digits!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

Ron ~ yikes what scams!:eek: That reminds me that twice we went to the Cathedral on the square in Santiago de Cuba but it was closed due to black market activity. I guess when some people don't have much money they look for ways to make some, not always honest.:o

Fortunately we didn't get freezing rain just the wet kind. Did your hydro stay on? ...~ Jo ~ :)

The driveway is a skating rink but the lights stayed on. Always the way, when we are away the weather's grand but as soon as we return... Anyway only seven more weeks until we return to 6200. And we're now learning so much more about getting around Cuba which should improve our next visit.

As previously mentioned, using our loonie coin as a tip is of no value to anyone down there as they cannot exchange coins. So we took U.S. one dollar bills which can be exchanged for CUC's although officially with some discount. But what we didn't understand and were told was that a Cuban in the know can get up to 3 CUC's for one US greenback and so were more than happy to receive them. I don't think I will ever understand their two currency and exchange system.

I was just in the bank, where I notified them of my out of country dates and asked if my credit card were readily accepted in Cuba. The teller called the CC to ensure that any information I was given was accurate. The man on the phone commented that I also had a US dollar CC, which would be more readily accepted. US dollar CC in Cuba? In any case, I would then have to pay to convert twice.

The teller than suggested that I take out a new no fee card with a lower limit. I had thought of doing this in the past, then wondered if it was a good idea. What if we had to pay emergency medical fees up front? No thanks.

Do any of you travel with a lower limit card? Unusual expenses can crop up. I prefer to be prepared.

Then a lady walked into the bank and excitedly told them that she would be out of the country next month - she had just booked a Cuban cruise! The word is spreading. They are advertising a lot more lately.

I was just in the bank, where I notified them of my out of country dates and asked if my credit card were readily accepted in Cuba. The teller called the CC to ensure that any information I was given was accurate. The man on the phone commented that I also had a US dollar CC, which would be more readily accepted. US dollar CC in Cuba? In any case, I would then have to pay to convert twice.

The teller than suggested that I take out a new no fee card with a lower limit. I had thought of doing this in the past, then wondered if it was a good idea. What if we had to pay emergency medical fees up front? No thanks.

Do any of you travel with a lower limit card? Unusual expenses can crop up. I prefer to be prepared.

Firstly, US Credit Cards are not acceptable in Cuba by decree of their government. U.S. cash has a 10% discount in it's use at the exchange kiosk. (Who knows what the going rate is on the street...)

We each travel with our regular Canadian cards that we use at home. If one is lost or stolen we would notify the bank immediately, and we have done so ship to shore free of charge. The second card is then approved by the bank for use. Remember any unforeseen medical charges would be covered by one's policy that must be in effect when arriving.

Our bank discontinued the requirement that we advise them of our travel plans. But after that last fiasco with the one euro charge by Celestial Cristal out of Cyprus which immediately shut down our account, they now agree that they should know our plans. FYI, service charges for pre arranged debits that were subsequently rejected because of the closure decision are not covered by the bank. :mad:

In short make sure your CC is in currency other than U.S. and that you can report any problems promptly to the bank and with an alternate card ready for use.

Firstly, US Credit Cards are not acceptable in Cuba by decree of their government. U.S. cash has a 10% discount in it's use at the exchange kiosk. (Who knows what the going rate is on the street...)

We each travel with our regular Canadian cards that we use at home. If one is lost or stolen we would notify the bank immediately, and we have done so ship to shore free of charge. The second card is then approved by the bank for use. Remember any unforeseen medical charges would be covered by one's policy that must be in effect when arriving.

Our bank discontinued the requirement that we advise them of our travel plans. But after that last fiasco with the one euro charge by Celestial Cristal out of Cyprus which immediately shut down our account, they now agree that they should know our plans. FYI, service charges for pre arranged debits that were subsequently rejected because of the closure decision are not covered by the bank. :mad:

In short make sure your CC is in currency other than U.S. and that you can report any problems promptly to the bank and with an alternate card ready for use.

You cannot use a credit card that is associated with any American bank, but although my card is in $US, it is from a Canadian bank, so it is possible that it could be accepted. But what would be the point? Two tellers watched and listened while I spoke with the person, and they both wondered why my eyes bugged when he suggested I use the US card. The way he worded it, I got the impression that he had not read or listened to the news over the last 50 years and had no idea of US/Cuban relations.

I then spoke with an assistant manager, who offered even funnier advice (he frequently visits Cuba), but as what he suggested is not even legal I will not mention it here. :p

All in all, it was quite an entertaining visit to the bank.

Very glad that I didn't get rid of my Royal Bank Visa as I had planned, since Cam's cards are both American firms.

Looks like the temperatures are expected to be in the high 70's in February.

Cam should be happy with that, but I prefer a bit higher. Can't complain about being anywhere South of Canada in the winter though.

Hope we have enough cabins booked to have two dinner seatings.

We picked the late dinner.

Burm and Jo - What do you have?

We are proposing to go to the Tropicana Cabaret and probably have a meal there. Has anyone been to this show? If so, how did you book it and arrange transport to and from the venue.

ONT-CA said that in the departure documentation a cabin for CAD50 was offered for the day. Do you know whether that was last year when the ship was quite empty or whether the offer is still open this year?

David and I are on the 16th February cruise from Havana so hope to see some of you then.

Janet

... ONT-CA said that in the departure documentation a cabin for CAD50 was offered for the day. Do you know whether that was last year when the ship was quite empty or whether the offer is still open this year? Janet

The cabin offer was being made for this season when we disembarked on December 22, 2014. We though it very reasonable considering you can stow your luggage, still go about seeing Havana, return to the ship to clean up and eventually make your way to the airport.

David and I are on the 16th February cruise from Havana so hope to see some of you then.

Janet

We should try to meet up maybe on day two, the sea day.

When are you arriving? Cam and I fly from Toronto the day of the cruise and Burm will have already been in Havana for a week.

... When are you arriving? Cam and I fly from Toronto the day of the cruise and Burm will have already been in Havana for a week.

Nerves of steel ! :eek: When planning on travelling out of TO in the dead of winter we always book at least one additional day if not two to allow for weather cancellations, etc. For our upcoming February flight to Havana we added three days. Our expedition to Athens in November to catch the Cristal's sailing taught us the meaning of, etc.

Nerves of steel ! :eek: When planning on travelling out of TO in the dead of winter we always book at least one additional day if not two to allow for weather cancellations, etc. For our upcoming February flight to Havana we added three days. Our expedition to Athens in November to catch the Cristal's sailing taught us the meaning of, etc.

More like we could only fly in once a week and didn't want to travel from Varadero on our first time there. If in doubt we miss the sea day and they have to get us to the next Cuban port.

For $2400 all in, we decided to risk it. Knock on wood!

We've only flown in 'the day of' twice before. Once when my sister in law booked things through a friend of hers and when we did a short flight from Buffalo to New York.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Hi all!

Ron ~ I had a couple of drinks on the shore excursions & luckily had no ill effects. I did however have trouble at 2 resorts on the last night there with a 1 1/2 hour bus trip to Santiago de Cuba ahead of me next morning!:eek:

Sandy ~ you might see zebraprintsky on your cruise. She (probably younger than most pax) & her Jamaican DH (probably with a big smile on his face) got on at Montego Bay Friday. Bon Voyage!

We actually dont get on until the coming Friday (Jan 9). But yes, we are excited and the man will have a big smile on his face! hes still kinda in shock that we are going..

getting him travel insurance has proven to be quite the task. Went into Ochi yesterday to be told they do it out of Kingston so we had to transfer money into an account, then email, and now I am just waiting for his documents to be emailed to me.

The weather in Jamaica has been fantastic. Altho I lost my glasses on Saturday so have been waiting until Fedex shows up tomorrow with my extra paair. I have never lost my glasses in my life, so it has kind of put a damper on things the past few days.

cannot wait to get them and get on the boat.

I am just wondering what security is like at the port in Montego Bay? Is it like airport style? with all the scanners and everything? Could we get in with a bottle of rum cream in our suitcase? or no???

... I am just wondering what security is like at the port in Montego Bay? Is it like airport style? with all the scanners and everything? Could we get in with a bottle of rum cream in our suitcase? or no???

The security in the small terminal is interested in things other than alcohol beverages so I don't think you should have any concerns. Once through, there was no further inspection by the ship. We brought two bottles on board with the view of taking them home so we were not concerned if the ship did hold and returned them to us when we disembarked. But nothing was said and we brought them to the cabin.

Rum Cream Mmmmm. Have you ever just mixed rum with one of those flavoured coffee creamers like Butterscotch or Hazelnut, etc.? Just as good at half the price. They even now have coffee creamers labeled "Bailey's " which is self evident.

HI all!

Kerri ~ we do first seating as we eat at 5:30 here. We're going in day of too which is unusual for us but I figure if it's a deal with Air Transat everybody will be in the same boat so hope for the best.. We missed

sailaway once on a Hawaiian cruise due to plane problems but caught up next day with no cost to us (except nerves & lack of sleep!). After that we've always gone the day before.

Janet ~ DH & I took the ship's excursion to Tropicana last year. We had a rushed dinner on the ship as the tour met at 8:15 & the show started at 10 so a lot of waiting around for the show to begin. At the show we got some peanuts, 1/4 bottle rum per person, can of cola & welcome glass of champagne.

burm ~ that was a very interesting bank visit! DH consented to try the Comfort Inn so we're booked. Sure hope the car doesn't get iced up or snowed in or he'll grumble. We'll be saving $50 & getting a breakfast so

that'll be nice.

Ron ~ did you get snow over there today? Our snow squall warning turned into a full blown snowstorm.

zebraprintsky ~ good luck with your insurance & glasses issues & have a great cruise!

Ciao.

Kerri and Cam - We arrive from London, England on the previous Thursday so have 3 full days in Havana before boarding the ship. There is only one direct flight a week from England so that was the best option and gives us plenty of time to see the sights in Havana and the local area. It would be great to meet up on the sea day.

Retiring Soon - Thanks for the info regarding Tropicana. We are hoping to see the cabaret on the Friday prior to sailing so were hoping that someone had booked independently. I understand that we can book through our hotel on arrival, but that seems rather late during the busy season in Cuba.

ONT-CA - You're right, the cabin on day of departure for CAD 50 is a very good offer. I assume that it depends on how busy the ship is whether it is offered on every sailing.

I've been reading all about your weather in Canada. Here in the south west of England we have a lot of wet and windy weather but snow is very rare and, in our little town, only lasts a couple of hours before it becomes slush.

Janet and David

...Ron ~ did you get snow over there today? Our snow squall warning turned into a full blown snowstorm. ~ Jo ~ :)

No, fortunately it bypassed us which is a blessing as anything not cleared is now a sheet of ice. I just checked the forecast for tonight......minus 25 C. The wood stove will know no rest tonight. Seems our earlier escape to Cuba was a little too early and the upcoming February date a little too late...

Retiring Soon - Thanks for the info regarding Tropicana. We are hoping to see the cabaret on the Friday prior to sailing so were hoping that someone had booked independently. I understand that we can book through our hotel on arrival, but that seems rather late during the busy season in Cuba.

You might see us at the Tropicana on Friday, although we will try to get in on Valentine's Day if we are in Havana. We plan to make a few side trips.

http://tropicana.payresline.com/web/app.php/es/Portal/Tropicana/

I am glad we don't have to drive to the airport today! A blustery, snowy day and I am happy that I ran all my errands yesterday.

I've been reading all about your weather in Canada. Here in the south west of England we have a lot of wet and windy weather but snow is very rare and, in our little town, only lasts a couple of hours before it becomes slush.

We only got a light dusting of snow in our area North of Toronto today and yesterday, but the temperature makes up for it. This morning it was -20 degree Celsius or -4 degree Fahrenheit.

So funny that I finally saw that you are in Cornwall. We met a couple from St Austell in Cornwall on our last cruise and we sent each other Christmas cards.

... ONT-CA - You're right, the cabin on day of departure for CAD 50 is a very good offer. I assume that it depends on how busy the ship is whether it is offered on every sailing. Janet and David

Quite frankly I cannot see this cruise as "sold out" and that there will always be a few lesser cabins available. That said you can appreciate that what they likely offer as a day's refuge will not be top of the line. But the point really is a place to hang one hat and to tidy up before departure. And, as most likely, they throw in lunch then that really is a great deal.