My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

HI all!

Rebellious ~ here's some info from Trip Advisor last March. The distance is 54.2 kms. (about 34 miles) & supposedly takes 44 mins at present traffic conditions.;)

"The drive is over an hour but I can't recall exactly how long. The road is very poor for the first bit but improves as you go, so don't despair when you see it! We were in Antilla and just happened to arrive at the dock just as the first tender arrived from the ship. One thing that may interest you is that there was a rather impressive line-up of at least a dozen very nice classic cars waiting. Of course these will cost more, but there was also many regular taxis and vans waiting as well. There was also a band playing on the dock that was quite good."

Hope this helps a bit.

~ Jo ~ :)

I found this in a response column:

The ship provided tours to Holguin and the dolphinarium at Guardalavaca. As we had already been to see the dolphins at Cinefuegos, this was not an interesting option. Taxis can be found outside the pier gate. I suggest taking a Lada and negotiating a day rate (between CUC $70 - CUC $80), as the old american cars are twice as expensive. There are not many taxis (I counted approx. 20), so if you are adventurous plan to leave on the first tender (this may not be easy as the guests who book excursions with the ship are first off).

Because 2013-2014 was the first Cristal Cuba sailing adventure, the locals will have undoubtedly learned a thing or two and will apply their business interests to maximize return. I fully expect to see fledgling businesses in full operation on our return including more taxis and perhaps other means of transportation.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the hot tub have nice jets? Maybe we could ask them to clear all those extra chairs so that we have a dance floor. :D

Believe me burn there is no need to remove anything from that deck. Think of the size of a regular cabin aboard any ship and now double that. That would almost equal the size of this private deck. We have never seen anything like it on any ship and we have been on plenty. Little wonder we have it for the Greece to Cuba cruise in November-Decemebr as well again in February.

HI all!

wu687 ~ thanks for the link! Nice to see how the other half lives!;)

Ron ~ I looked at some of the other pictures on the link & am looking forward to seeing the flapper girls again. I really liked that little ship & am envious of all the time you'll spend on it & the places you'll see.:o

burm ~ will you be giving lessons out on your enormous balcony if you can find some music?:confused:

Have a nice weekend! Every day brings us closer to our next adventure.

No lessons, Jo, but you are welcome to join the party. :)

I got my clown glasses yesterday. DH grinned and said "Aren't they fabulous!"

I may have to take them back to change them a bit, though. I have to tilt my head to an odd angle to read. :mad:

I really liked that little ship & am envious of all the time you'll spend on it & the places you'll see.:o

I find it hard to explain my affinity for the Cristal as it is a wonderful ship like many others, so that can't be the sole reason. So it must be the staff for I have not had such great interaction since beginning my sailing adventures in the late 80's. And as to the ports to be visited on our crossing well, yes, it will be great visiting them again but at the moment it's the delights of Prince Edward County that is being further explored and discovered . Both Saylor's Cafe as well as The Cider Company have shown us wonderful hospitality and cuisine.

Edited by ONT-CA

HI all!

Ron ~ we didn't interact much with the staff so it wasn't that for me. I just liked the small size & uncrowded conditions so it'll be interesting to see if that changes with (assuming) more people onboard.

Glad you're enjoying the bounty in the county. There are a lot of nice places here for sure.:D

burm ~ thanks for the invite. Looking forward to meeting you & seeing the

"clown" glasses. One thing's certain, they'll go with anything!;)

Enjoy the weekend. A week from today I'll be sightseeing in Seattle. So looking forward to that & the Alaska cruise.

HI all!

Ron ~ I tried the test & am in no way a world traveller as seen by my answers which were thousands of miles from the place pictured!!:eek:

I looked at a couple of the videos & couldn't see me or DH. I know I'm on the video of our cruise that I bought as I asked Ricky to get me in. I'm tired of buying the dvds & I'm never on them.

There is a site where you can post your picture by cruise date & ship. It's called cruise fellows so that could be an option.

Have a nice day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm back from my 14 day HAL Alaska cruise & see you all haven't been very chatty!

I was talking up the Louis Cruise while onboard so may get another booking.

I had a good time on the HAL cruise but it made me realize that 14 days is enough cruising for me. I had been thinking of a longer cruise to South America so now can put that out of my mind.

What's new with you all?

...I had a good time on the HAL cruise but it made me realize that 14 days is enough cruising for me... ~ Jo ~ :)

Welcome home Jo. Glad you had a good cruise. Could you comment on your now imposed 14 day maximum; was it the days at sea or too many ports? When I think back to my longest cruise of 32 days, I have the feeling you would have been climbing the crows nest. As it was I longed to once again sleep in my own bed. But this 26 day Louis Cristal repositioning should be a breeze for us for we do like days at sea, especially with "sea leg" swells.

Hi all!

Ron ~ thanks for the welcome back. I think part of the reason 14 days was enough is I was with my DSIL & not DH plus I miss my "stuff/routine" at home, read tv/computer.;) I am not a lover of sea days & this cruise had 5 counting the 2 glacier days.

If you've been on HAL you'll know that it's a bit more laid back & elegant than Carnival/RCI/NCL for instance & I was craving a bit more Carnival in the activities. Different strokes, eh?

Jo, you are going to hate me when you hear this. Just received an email from cubacruise offering a one week cruise (inside) aboard the Louis Cristal INCLUDING AIR from Toronto to Havana for only $721. per person (double occupancy). This of course includes the 15% discount that is only good until the end of September. I know I was responsible for talking you into booking early and just hope that you got your accommodation preference when you did. What surprises me is that this offer arrangement flies directly to Havana the day of departure (transfers included in price) which means no hotel arrangement is necessary. If this keeps up we are bound to have full passenger manifests. And of course any of our American cousins along the border who take advantage of this offer will get the 11-12% discount because these fares are stated in Canadian dollars. Don't get me wrong, Jo, we are happy with our current booking arrangements but this Cubacruise this just keeps getting better and better. So we owe you guys a drink or two for rushing you into booking early.

Edited by ONT-CA

Jo, you are going to hate me when you hear this. Just received an email from cubacruise offering a one week cruise (inside) aboard the Louis Cristal INCLUDING AIR from Toronto to Havana for only $721. per person (double occupancy). This of course includes the 15% discount that is only good until the end of September. I know I was responsible for talking you into booking early and just hope that you got your accommodation preference when you did. What surprises me is that this offer arrangement flies directly to Havana the day of departure (transfers included in price) which means no hotel arrangement is necessary. If this keeps up we are bound to have full passenger manifests. And of course any of our American cousins along the border who take advantage of this offer will get the 11-12% discount because these fares are stated in Canadian dollars. Don't get me wrong, Jo, we are happy with our current booking arrangements but this Cubacruise this just keeps getting better and better. So we owe you guys a drink or two for rushing you into booking early.

I just received the same offer. I wonder how they would charge for a B to B?

Considering that I paid $675 for an AC flight from Toronto to Havana, this is a free cruise by the time you consider the free transfers.

I just received the same offer. I wonder how they would charge for a B to B?

Considering that I paid $675 for an AC flight from Toronto to Havana, this is a free cruise by the time you consider the free transfers.

There are a few unanswered questions in this offer which can only be answered by contacting them. Is your AC flight a return flight? Is there's? And what airline? Maybe they set it up as a one way in order to accommodate B2B bookings. Lots of questions.

There are a few unanswered questions in this offer which can only be answered by contacting them. Is your AC flight a return flight? Is there's? And what airline? Maybe they set it up as a one way in order to accommodate B2B bookings. Lots of questions.

I called and got some answers. That is an incredible deal if you don't want extra time in Cuba. Flight is with Air Transaat, it does not allow for B2B's or extra days unless you pay your own air home.

I then asked if there could be an air deal combined with my booking. The price she quoted was an additional $722 pp. This would be more than we paid for AC and we would lose the ability to take extra days! It would also be one dollar more than the air and cruise deal they are now offering. :confused:

Darn, I forgot to ask if the $412 in tax was included in that $721 cruise offer. My initial thought was that it was, since the amount was the same as what they quoted me for air. This is probably not the case. If someone else calls to ask, please let us know. I am not going to call back because our flights are booked and our plans are already written in stone.

If deals keep rolling out, I am just going to concentrate on our lovely, humongous deck with hot tub. I am also looking forward to our extra time in Havana, which we would miss out on by taking a "deal".

...Darn, I forgot to ask if the $412 in tax was included in that $721 cruise offer. My initial thought was that it was, since the amount was the same as what they quoted me for air. This is probably not the case...

If you can make it out on screen burn, the email does say "PORT-TAXES not included. But if this is a return fare then yes, what a fantastic deal. A one week winter get-away cruise with visits to five ports of call in Cuba starting at $721. pp CDN, WOW. I can appreciate the B2B not being offered as AirTransat works on the bases of full plane down, full plane back.

One week of vacation is not enough for me. They still haven't come up with an offer that makes me regret our choice of plans. :)

I was at the Bulk Barn yesterday buying snacks. They had a savoury mix called Havana Nights that called out to me - and it was 50% off. It still cost $10 for 2 little bags of mix. But really, how could I not buy a snack with that name?

Hi all!

Ron ~ yes, I received that email too but will not tell DH. I think I only offered to pay the difference if they offered 2 for 1, lol!;) We got an outside cabin & the price was okay plus we have the little drink package that will suit us fine.

I'm looking forward to there being more people onboard this time as it will change the whole feel of the cruise & then they'll open up the other restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I loved the private yacht type feeling last time but 1200 pax is not too many.

I wouldn't say no to a drink on your humongous balcony but really no offering is required as I was keen to book ahead.

burm ~ I'll have to look for that at the Bulk Barn in Belleville, the name is irresistible.

Fingers crossed no 2 4 1 is offered.

Edited by retiring soon
forgot something