My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I wondered when so many guides suggested using your credit card for cash instead of debit cards, which do not always work in Cuba. I was thinking of the huge fees involved with cash advances.

Today I read in Lonely Planet that you should pre-load your credit card. I assume that means that you would not have to pay the exorbitant cash advance fees? If so, that does seem like the way to go.

I understand that I can purchase either CUC's or Moneda Nacional with a credit card at a Cadeca? I prefer that to carrying enough cash for all our expenses.

Thanks for sharing your great photos, "zebraprintsky"

Hope you are feeling better, Burm....cruise is coming soon!

If we all go with no expectations, and take everything with a grain of salt, we will be happy with our cruise and ports. Those that wrote the reviews obviously didn't adhere to that old adage.

:D Macey and Bob

Can anyone tell me which side of the ship typically faces port side when in port in most ports?

Also, I have been trying to find a picture showing the small balcony's. It looks like they are just a tiny corner? Do they have chairs or is there just room for (hopefully) two people to stand on at the same time.

I am hoping to go in the fall of 2015 but I don't see any schedule yet. When do they normally begin the fall sailings? TIA

The balcony is pie shape, has two chairs and is comfortable for both occupants but not much more.

Here is where they are located and you can get a little better idea of their structure.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/LouisCristal019-1.jpg

The season starts just before Christmas. The weather was fine then and not as hot as when we were there in February.

The ship will dock to either side depending on navigation conditions. In Havana the Terminal was on Port side for one arrival and then next, Starboard.

Edited by ONT-CA

I wondered when so many guides suggested using your credit card for cash instead of debit cards, which do not always work in Cuba. I was thinking of the huge fees involved with cash advances.

Today I read in Lonely Planet that you should pre-load your credit card. I assume that means that you would not have to pay the exorbitant cash advance fees? If so, that does seem like the way to go.

I understand that I can purchase either CUC's or Moneda Nacional with a credit card at a Cadeca? I prefer that to carrying enough cash for all our expenses.

I know that you can use your Canadian credit card to obtain CUC's at the Cadeca but I wonder if there are any fees at your home bank for doing so? Why would there be? You are not making a cash withdrawal from your bank, you are buying foreign currency and I assume Cuba could process the credit card as a simple purchase. Can anyone advise if there is applicable fees for purchasing CUC's with a credit card?

I did read all that stuff about the sculpture. But what I want to know.. is WHY. Why make a sculpture of a naked woman riding a massive cock, holding a fork, only wearing shoes.. and put it in the middle of a gorgeous old square in Havana. WHYYYYYY.

Why did this chicken cross the square? She is famished and on her way to a bring-your-own cutlery restaurant that has a strict policy of no shoes, no service...:D

I read the CC reviews cited several posts back. The first two seemed to me to focus on what the critics got for their money. I think they both bought inside cabins. Look, it you want upscale ships, buy Crystal, Regency, Oceanic or maybe the Queen Victoria or QE 2. I am thrilled to sail on a smaller 'different' ship with an unusual itinerary. That is the point of this cruise !! Now luxury: You want luxury, buy luxury !!! Pay for it !!!

Please read the (partial) review below. It was posted before the two cited above and seems to get the point of this cruise. I, for one, can hardly wait to board next week !!!

Would I recommend this cruise? WITHOUT A DOUBT! Yes, we encountered a number of annoyances and frustrations in the organization of the cruise, and the LC is not a luxurious cruise ship (it was OK, clean, and met our needs), but luxury was not the point of this cruise. We wanted to see more of Cuba than the average tourist does, meet and interact with the Cuban people, see how they live, and learn more about the island and its culture. This cruise is an excellent way to accomplish those goals. With the USA’s recent relaxation of its rules for travel to Cuba, there will be more Americans travelling there in the near future. If this rapprochement results in additional investment in Cuba, things will begin to change, at least in the cities. Go now, before the inevitable changes happen. Just keep an open mind to some of the limitations that an experienced cruiser may feel are not up to the standards of other cruise lines. They are really minor, and knowing about them ahead of time may help you avoid some of them, or prepare yourself. You will not be disappointed in your visit

Why did this chicken cross the square? She is famished and on her way to a bring-your-own cutlery restaurant that has a strict policy of no shoes, no service...:D

I was thinking that it would be an excellent ad for Peta. "I'd rather go naked when I ride into battle against KFC".

Mmm...KFC. Good thing dinner is in the oven already.

The more I think of the sculpture, the more I like it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

... Look, it you want upscale ships, buy Crystal, Regency, Oceanic or maybe the Queen Victoria or QE 2. I am thrilled to sail on a smaller 'different' ship with an unusual itinerary. That is the point of this cruise !! Now luxury: You want luxury, buy luxury !!! Pay for it !!!

The truth is there is luxury aboard this ship. We have had nothing less. Yes, the price is higher but let me say that dollar for dollar we have never had a more luxurious cabin aboard any ship and we have enjoyed over 35 cruises. Correction, never mind the dollars, this is and will be the most luxurious accommodation we have ever had. Problem is there are too few of them aboard. But there are no perks that come with this booking, no special treatment as we join the body of the ship for meals, entertainment and shore leave. Consequently at times we enjoy the ship as much as we enjoy Cuba and on occasion will stay aboard to pamper ourselves. :D

Note to Calgary: This is by no means a testimonial to be used to inflate the asking price of this accommodation. :rolleyes:

Hi all!

Ron ~ I like your explanation of why the chicken crossed the square!:D

Paul W ~ that is a great testimonial to the cruise & one that I agree with.

The destination is the reason, the ship the means, & the time is NOW!;). I found it to be a lovely little ship as did DH.

TIA ~ I know I've seen a picture of that balcony somewhere, just haven't been able to find it yet!:o

Yikes, there are now only 30 cabins available on our sailing!! If I figure 3 to a cabin that means there will be 800 more pax than last year!!:eek:

Have a great day! It's cold, snowy & blowy here.

Bon voyage to those boarding in sunny Havana today. This includes the couple from Picton

~ Jo ~ :)

We leave for the cruise next Monday-Feb 9. Only booked yesterday so have insufficient time to go through all 84 pages of this post.

Arrive in Havana about 12:30pm. Will go to the ship, have some lunch and then get off to explore.

Can someone gives us some ideas for our afternoon and evening in Havana before the ship departs at 11pm?

We prefer to do it on our own-not a ship's tour.

Can we walk to old Havana from the ship?

Are there cabs at the dock?

What can we expect to pay for a afternoon tour of Havana by a cab and driver?

What places should we focus on? Like historical sites -museums, architecture, soaking in the local atmosphere!

Are museums/art galleries open on Monday?

How close to the pier is a bank or exchange in order to obtain Cuba currency?

We are really looking forward to this trip. Have been looking at it for over a year but finally took the jump. Our first time in Cuba.

Thanks for the help.

Avril

Anyone else on the board going to be on the ship next week?

Have I really been done this cruise for 2 weeks? Sigh.

Anywhos, after a crazy few days starting new jobs, getting new jobs, and trying to get back into normal life rather then jamaica life.. I finally got thru all my photos.

Over the 3 weeks away, I took over 1800.

I posted some of my faves on my flickr account.

enjoy!

Great pictures!

We leave on Monday Feb 9 -I take lots of pictures!

Did you have a tablet or laptop with you to download them?

Was there any problem getting a laptop into Cuba?

How did you download yours as you took more pictures than will fit on a card?

Hope you can help.

Did you need a international adapter to use in the cabin with electronics or are the plugs Canadian friendly?

Avril

We are due to join the Cuba Cruise in Havana on 23rd. February. We have always cruised Princess and Celebrity before, but our expectations are not as high .... especially for the price. Anybody else on this cruise? We are surprised to find that one has to pay for safe keys ... and that they will open any safe on the ship. Is this true or just a rumour? Montego Bay makes me nervous having been to Jamaica before and feeling very unsafe. Has anybody used or plans to use the shuttle from the cruise terminal to the beach/market etc.? I understand its $15 Our expectations are lower than other cruises, hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised

Can we walk to old Havana from the ship?

Are there cabs at the dock?

How close to the pier is a bank or exchange in order to obtain Cuba currency?

The Port is in the heart of Old Havana. You are able to walk about and get a sense of the place being your first time.

There are cabs at the dock, cabs almost everywhere.

There is a money changer (Cadeca) right at the port Terminal as well as at the airport where you arrive.

Edited by ONT-CA

... our expectations are not as high .... especially for the price. ...We are surprised to find that one has to pay for safe keys ... and that they will open any safe on the ship. Is this true or just a rumour? ... Our expectations are lower than other cruises, hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised

Depending on your choice of cabin the safe found therein can be one of two types. They are introducing the combination key pad type which are currently in some of the cabins. The others are the key type and the rumour heard about one key fits all is just that, and probably the result of hearing that ship safes are being changed to key pads. The change is obviously being made due to the number of lost or misplaced keys, etc. As to the charge, you made the very point in questioning this cruise "...especially for the price". We are Elite passenger with Princess and would recommend this Cuba cruise to anyone. It is different but in most ways better, at least for us for it brought back the old days of Princess before they introduced their nickel and dime regime. This is a very port intensive cruise which is the object. Enjoy Cuba first and rate the ship experience later. I think you will be very pleased, especially for the price.

PS We will be aboard at that time

Edited by ONT-CA

Good to hear your positive replies. We are also Elite Princess and Celebrity passengers. .Any tips or ideas for this Cuba cruise would be welcome. We have been to Cuba before to Havana and to a resort in Varadero (a horrible resort experience, never to be repeated). Loved Havana. We are especially interested in what to do in Montego Bay. We have been before on a cruise and felt very unsafe in Jamaica. We thought maybe the shuttle to the beach/market etc.

Edited by ElandMar

... Was there any problem getting a laptop into Cuba? ... Did you need a international adapter to use in the cabin with electronics or are the plugs Canadian friendly? Avril

No problems entering Cuba with computers and support equipment.

Rooms have both 220 Volt and 110 Volt (Canadian) receptacles.

Depending on your choice of cabin the safe found therein can be one of two types. They are introducing the combination key pad type which are currently in some of the cabins.

Does 6200 have the new digital key pad (she asks optimistically)?

My favourite complaint from the reviews was the one where they complained of only getting a few television channels.

I think my favourite complaint in the reviews is all adults in a cabin have to buy the drink package if one does. Uh ya...most the big lines do this.

I'm going into this expecting to have a good time like we usually do.

Of course we've only done Carnival, RCCL and NCL while Early Grey whose review said it would be fine as a first cruise looks to have done Regent and Oceania which are higher.

Not only does this safe have the new digital key pad, it affords space for poetic deposits heretofore described ;)

Good to know. LOL

I am hoping that I can find my car. There is just a big white mound on the driveway where it used to be.