My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I exchanged and received 76.35 CUC for 100CND.

That is $1.31 for each CUC. A little steep but I guess they can see where our dollar is going...

In you stay in Montego Bay more than 24 hours before the cruise you need to pay departure tax of $20US.

Cuban medical people will do a temperature scan of everyone before leaving ship at all ports.

They missed us upon arriving at Havana but we were cleared in earlier ports.

No fee for Cuban Visa for those boarding in Montego Bay or for others.

Good news. Maybe my letter to the Cuban Toruist Board did some good... :D

We could not land at Porta Frances because of ocean swells.

Getting into a Tender under the best of sea conditions is difficult enough. Hope that is a seasonal one off

Only rain was in Montego Bay this morning.

A quick scan of weather prediction for Havana next seven days says sun every day but rain a week today

I have packed my Duck Tape and I am ready to go.......in 9 more days.

I used to laugh at all the people who said they never travel without duct tape, but for some reason I decided one trip to toss a roll in my suitcase. By the time I got home, it was holding the handle on my big suitcase together, my new sandals, and even my glasses. I am going to look really snazzy this time - I packed a zebra print tape. :)

I also packed my medicine bag and am feeling like a real hypochondriac. I have a cure for almost anything! A few years ago, I walked into the ship's clinic and said that I needed prednisone. After $1,000 worth of tests (blood, x-ray, etc), the doctor said, "I think you just need a few prednisone to fix you up".

Have any of you flown into this airport?

I'm wondering if we should exchange our CDN$$ there (if we have time) or wait till Havana, or wait till Antilla, since it's only a sea day in between and we arrive in Varadero at 4:30 pm. Any recommendations?

Thanks! Shelly

there is an exchange counter in the departures area at theVaradaro airport. You just walk out of the arrivals,turn left and go just inside the departure area and you will be able to do your money exchange. We arrive there on Monday and then transfer right to Havana for 7 days before boarding on the 9th.

Have I really been done this cruise for 2 weeks? Sigh.

Anywhos, after a crazy few days starting new jobs, getting new jobs, and trying to get back into normal life rather then jamaica life.. I finally got thru all my photos.

Over the 3 weeks away, I took over 1800.

I posted some of my faves on my flickr account.

enjoy!

The skeletons are from a stop at a Burial Ground on the day we were in Antilla. It was a part of the Cuba Life excursion, and even though it was a quick 15 minute stop, It was one of my fave parts of the day!

Its a one of many burial grounds that have been uncovered in the province over the years. It is one that was been turned into a small museum, while the rest have been evacuated and taken to be studied. The bodies have been dated as far back as the year 1100 and as recent at 1500. The ones buried in the fetal position is how the indians would bury their deceased and the ones with their arms folded are Spanish tradition (as per how they are dated). There were also ones buried face down (if they committed suicide or a crime punishable by death).

HI all!

wu687 ~ thanks for all that info.:D That's too bad you couldn't get into Punta Frances, I heard that happened at least once last year too. How was your SI & did you meet Martha? How did you like the cruise?

zebraprintsky ~ lovely photos, so colourful! Thanks for sharing.

burm ~ were you a girl scout?:p You sure sound prepared!! Hope you're feeling better.

Shelly ~ might as well change the money at Varadero if you can. What's the point of waiting?

Kerri ~ sounds like you'll have the chance to see a few lighthouses. Aren't some of the building in z's pictures interesting too?

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~:)

I was a girlscout dropout, Jo. The leader of our troop seemed to have an intense dislike of children.

Will the exchange booth at Havana airport be open late at night?

There are two exchange booths at the airport, one on each side of the exterior of the main exit. Our plane arrived shortly after 11:00 pm unloading all these passengers seeking Cuban currency. And yet at that moment, one of these two kiosks abruptly shut and lock their doors leaving only one employee to handle the extensive line up of tired and confused souls that we were. Most infuriating.

Anywhos, after a crazy few days starting new jobs, getting new jobs, and trying to get back into normal life rather then jamaica life.. I finally got thru all my photos.

enjoy!

Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting

Rock nd roll here we go

Feb 2 is departure:)

Cheers and thanks again for all your help

We are sailing from Havana Mar 23rd for 7 days. As we have been to all the ports except Santiago I was wondering if there are any beaches near where we dock in Cuba or Jamaica Thanks Ontario Cruiser

In Jamaica, go get a taxi to Doctors Cave beach. Its about 5 minutes away, its 6$ entry fee, but its STUNNING. The water is beautiful and the its a private beach, and theres a restaurant and they will come right to your towel to bring you drinks and food. You can also pay for chairs and umbrellas and such, but there is plenty of shade to just drop your towel and chill out.

In Jamaica, go get a taxi to Doctors Cave beach. Its about 5 minutes away, its 6$ entry fee, but its STUNNING. The water is beautiful and the its a private beach, and theres a restaurant and they will come right to your towel to bring you drinks and food. You can also pay for chairs and umbrellas and such, but there is plenty of shade to just drop your towel and chill out.

Is the snorkeling any good there?

Thanks so much for this tip! We've been to Jamaica a few times, so we're thinking of a beach day this time, so this sounds perfect! Thanks-Shelly

Edited by crzy.cdn.cruzer

enjoy!

Thanks for the photos, they're great. Love the sunset colours.

Two questions - is the photo of the ship at the dock in Havana and where was the statue of the woman riding the rooster?

Thanks for the photos, they're great. Love the sunset colours.

Two questions - is the photo of the ship at the dock in Havana and where was the statue of the woman riding the rooster?

The sunsets were beautiful every single night!!!! I love sunsets.

The photo at the ship at dock with the whole city.. yes thats Havana. It was taken from where the huge Jesus statue is.

and the woman riding the Rooster is in in Old Square, its so strange and out of place, and nobody has an answer for the meaning of it. Not our tour guide, and nobody on google. So thats a weird mystery.

Is the snorkeling any good there?

Thanks so much for this tip! We've been to Jamaica a few times, so we're thinking of a beach day this time, so this sounds perfect! Thanks-Shelly

Yes there is snorkeling... They even have snorkle gear for rent and when I was there (we stayed right across the street from it for 2 days after our cruise and before i had to fly home) there were many people out doing so. No idea if it is good or not as I dont snorkle, but even just floating around the water close to shore there were fishies swimming around me! so I am sure it is decent??

The sunsets were beautiful every single night!!!! I love sunsets.

The photo at the ship at dock with the whole city.. yes thats Havana. It was taken from where the huge Jesus statue is.

and the woman riding the Rooster is in in Old Square, its so strange and out of place, and nobody has an answer for the meaning of it. Not our tour guide, and nobody on google. So thats a weird mystery.

Thanks for the info. I like art, but weird art is even better.

Also a friend and I have an "other word for a rooster" gag gift game going on between the two of us and a photo of me next to this would be perfect for next year.

The artist is Cuban Roberto Fabelo and it is called "Viaje fantástico". Nude ladies and birds show up quite a bit when you check out Google images.

http://www.cubartecontemporaneo.com/artwork/roberto-fabelo-rooster-series-viaje-fantastico/

An article about the statue.

http://oncubamagazine.com/culture/naked-woman-rides-back-rooster-havana/

Thanks for the info. I like art, but weird art is even better.

Also a friend and I have an "other word for a rooster" gag gift game going on between the two of us and a photo of me next to this would be perfect for next year.

The artist is Cuban Roberto Fabelo and it is called "Viaje fantástico". Nude ladies and birds show up quite a bit when you check out Google images.

http://www.cubartecontemporaneo.com/artwork/roberto-fabelo-rooster-series-viaje-fantastico/

An article about the statue.

http://oncubamagazine.com/culture/naked-woman-rides-back-rooster-havana/

The statue is new and considering that it is named "Fantastic Trip", I believe it was meant to be as naughty as it appears. :) Gallo in Spanish can refer to a cocky man.

The Spanish language is far richer than English in double meanings. Mitt Romney caused a lot of giggles a couple of years ago when he said on a Cuban American radio show that he was a big fan of papaya. LOL

Papaya is a “bad word” (because of what it resembles when it is cut open) in the west part of Cuba and consequently fruta bomba is used. In the East part of Cuba it is safe to use the word papaya.

Guys, do NOT tell the pretty waitress in Havana that you would like papaya! LOL

Can anyone tell me which side of the ship typically faces port side when in port in most ports?

Also, I have been trying to find a picture showing the small balcony's. It looks like they are just a tiny corner? Do they have chairs or is there just room for (hopefully) two people to stand on at the same time.

I am hoping to go in the fall of 2015 but I don't see any schedule yet. When do they normally begin the fall sailings?

TIA

Hi all!

Kerri ~ great detective work about the statue!:D Neither Gerd nor I saw it as he said he would have taken a photo of it as would I have.

zebraprintsky ~ did you stay at the hotel with the same name as the beach?

Did you see any goats wandering around up by the Christ statue?

burm ~ thanks for that info.I Googled & saw the Romney error explained.

TIA ~ the Cuba cruise doesn't usually start until December & runs into March. Don't remember about the docking last season & didn't have a balcony so sorry I can't help there. I did read somewhere that it's best to be on starboard tho'.

Here's a link to some new reviews & they're not good, well they do like Cuba just not the ship/food so much.:eek:

I don't know why people get upset about the tp issue as that seems to be the way it is in Cuba & Mexico too!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=774

Have a nice day!

~ Jo ~ :)

I did read all that stuff about the sculpture. But what I want to know.. is WHY. Why make a sculpture of a naked woman riding a massive cock, holding a fork, only wearing shoes.. and put it in the middle of a gorgeous old square in Havana. WHYYYYYY.

And no, I didnt stay at Doctors Cave Hotel. We spent two nights at the Gloucestershire hotel. The Doctors Cave Hotel is not directly across from the beach, but the Gloucestershire is. Its not bad. A good location, but the pool was freezing, hot tub not on, and a few other issues. I prob wouldnt stay again, but there was no point in going all the way back to Ochi (where the husband lives) to just go back to Mobay 2 days later for my flight.. so we just stayed in Mobay. We ususally stay at the Riu.. and we actually should have again, as I didnt end up saving any money staying at a non- All inclusive.