Princess fares from Galveston

CENTEX CRUISER

We only cruise from Galveston on Royal and CCL..We would like to try Princess, but cannot understand why the prices are so much higher than the two lines mentioned.I do not see where drinks are included or anything like that, so can you please tell the reason ? Thank you.

We only cruise from Galveston on Royal and CCL..We would like to try Princess, but cannot understand why the prices are so much higher than the two lines mentioned.I do not see where drinks are included or anything like that, so can you please tell the reason ? Thank you.

Not sure what dates you're looking at, but we've seen the opposite for Thanksgiving 2013 sailings. We had the Navigator OTS booked that week but recently switched to the Caribbean Princess since it was about $500 less overall (interior for 3 pax). Plus we like Princess better, so it was a win-win!

One thing to keep in mind is that the fares you see on the Princess website are not necessarily what you'll pay. Princess allows TAs to discount and you can save 10-20% and get perks such as OBC, by using a TA that books a high volume of Princess cruises.

I checked my on line travel agency, which is in Houston, and I believe the largest, and who normally have the best prices and balcony cabins on Princess from Houston Bayport start at $1199- $1299 PP, wher Royal and CCL are around $899 , which is a lot less . We cruise in March, and April , and some in Oct and Nov

Not sure what dates you're looking at, but we've seen the opposite for Thanksgiving 2013 sailings. We had the Navigator OTS booked that week but recently switched to the Caribbean Princess since it was about $500 less overall (interior for 3 pax). Plus we like Princess better, so it was a win-win!

I checked my on line travel agency, which is in Houston, and I believe the largest, and who normally have the best prices and balcony cabins on Princess from Houston Bayport start at $1199- $1299 PP, wher Royal and CCL are around $899 , which is a lot less . We cruise in March, and April , and some in Oct and Nov
$1,199 for a balcony next March is the Princess published fare. Unless you request an actual quote, you'll see the published price. Let's say your TA offers a 20% discount, which they would come close to if they truly are an agency that books a lot of Princess cruises, that's $959. Certainly competitive plus on Princess, you can combine any OBC you receive, whether it's from your TA, a military OBC, stockholder, etc.

Thanks for the info , as I know none of the details like this. I will have to check them out, as I have heard from friends that they really like Princess.

$1,199 for a balcony next March is the Princess published fare. Unless you request an actual quote, you'll see the published price. Let's say your TA offers a 20% discount, which they would come close to if they truly are an agency that books a lot of Princess cruises, that's $959. Certainly competitive plus on Princess, you can combine any OBC you receive, whether it's from your TA, a military OBC, stockholder, etc.

The current fares on the Princess website do not include the fees/taxes. They did for a little while, but I suspect that made the Princess fares look way too high, so they went back to not including the fees.

As for the prices, in my experience, most of the Princess cruises that I have been on have had fare reductions, sometimes considerably, from the first posted fares. The Western Caribbean from Houston fares are no exception. For example, we've been looking at a Princess cruise next February from Houston, and just yesterday the price went down around 15% each for a balcony. This was no sale-just a drop. And this may not be the last drop for this cruise. So, if you aren't committed to a specific cabin, you can wait for the prices to drop (they most likely will) and then book. Or you can book, and when the prices drop, ask Princess to give you the new fare, which they will gladly do until final payment date.

Remember though that past passengers on Princess do get a fare reduction (as you do on the other lines you have already sailed on), so you may pay a little more for your first Princess cruise because of that.

Pricing Carnival vs Princess requires matching up the itineraries.

Princess and Carnival price out nearly the same for the same itinerary and date.

Carnival Magic has three W. Carib itineraries and charges less for the two less popular itineraries.

Comparing the same dates and itineraries, Belize, Cozumel and Roatan:

Carnival inside starts $100 less. Princess starts $200 less for a minisuite equivalent to Carnival's "suite". Both are past guest fares.

The lattter a bit difficult to compare because Carnival jumps from balcony to suite and doesn't list sizes. Photos, however, look much like Princess' mini.

Why? Because you get what you pay for (IMO). ;)

All printed Princess prices will be the same no matter where you go. Make sure you're adding in the port charges and government taxes. TAs can discount their commission but they cannot advertise those prices. Just hang in there and book AFTER final payments are due. The prices will most likely come down then. And remember, it's Houston now for Princess, not Galveston. I'm looking forward to giving that port a try for a change. :)

The current fares on the Princess website do not include the fees/taxes. They did for a little while, but I suspect that made the Princess fares look way too high, so they went back to not including the fees.

The prices quoted on the Princess website includes all taxes and port fees. The price is the total price but may change due to changes in taxes and port fees. What I have experienced on a few occasions like this past March on the Caribbean out of Galveston was a slight refund as an OBC due to reduced port fees.

Princess will always lower your reservation fee if they offer the same type of cabin at a reduced price after you book and before final payment. Carnival will not do this unless you book on a Carnival ship prior. I have had my reservation fee reduced many times as we book as much as one year in advance which allows us a wide choice of cabins and decks.

satxdiver: The prices on the Princess site no longer include the taxes and fees, so the price you see is only for the fare. In small print, you will see the taxes/fees. They changed back a several months ago. I know this for sure, because I've recently booked a cruise.

And once you book on Princess, be sure to check the fares periodically, because as satxdiver said, if they are lowered you can get your fare lowered up to final payment date, and that can sometimes be a substantial reduction.

satxdiver: The prices on the Princess site no longer include the taxes and fees, so the price you see is only for the fare. In small print, you will see the taxes/fees. They changed back a several months ago. I know this for sure, because I've recently booked a cruise.

And once you book on Princess, be sure to check the fares periodically, because as satxdiver said, if they are lowered you can get your fare lowered up to final payment date, and that can sometimes be a substantial reduction.

The total, including taxes and fees and any OBC, is displayed in detail when a cabin is selected.

Purchase not necessary. Just click on "close".:)

Archived