Tips for Last Minute Crusing?

AmativeDame

Unforuntely for me, our vacation plans for this year have had to change and I am trying to work out a vacation within my partner's work schedule. So basicly I am trying to plan a vacation around our Ford's yearly shutdown week which happens to fall the week of July 4th. (Makings this even more complicated.)

Since plans can pretty much change really close up to the date I find myself need to majorly book last minute (I am thinking the week before at the very earliest.) Does anyone have any times for coordinating a last minute cruise?

I am struggling with how to get the particulars worked out - I know if I want to book a cruise I will be at the mercy of what is open (and then of what is available what fits in our budget.) Usually I plan out places to go, hotels to stay months beforehand. I clearly won't have time for that. I have bookmarked a bunch of cruises on various lines that have crusies that will fit out needed time frame. Do I just plan where we'd want to go at ALL the ports/where we would stay for each terminal?

Do you all have any tips for me? Is there a situation where going with ship booked excusrions may just be worth the extra cost to save stress?

If any of you have done the last minute thing and have advice I would really apreciate your thoughts or tips.

Never book at last minute, so these are just some thoughts.

Talk to a TA that handles last minute cruises.

How will you get to port? If flying, cost will be high.

Many shore excursions book out before the cruise, so using them may not work.

Unforuntely for me, our vacation plans for this year have had to change and I am trying to work out a vacation within my partner's work schedule. So basicly I am trying to plan a vacation around our Ford's yearly shutdown week which happens to fall the week of July 4th. (Makings this even more complicated.)

Since plans can pretty much change really close up to the date I find myself need to majorly book last minute (I am thinking the week before at the very earliest.) Does anyone have any times for coordinating a last minute cruise?

I am struggling with how to get the particulars worked out - I know if I want to book a cruise I will be at the mercy of what is open (and then of what is available what fits in our budget.) Usually I plan out places to go, hotels to stay months beforehand. I clearly won't have time for that. I have bookmarked a bunch of cruises on various lines that have crusies that will fit out needed time frame. Do I just plan where we'd want to go at ALL the ports/where we would stay for each terminal?

Do you all have any tips for me? Is there a situation where going with ship booked excusrions may just be worth the extra cost to save stress?

If any of you have done the last minute thing and have advice I would really apreciate your thoughts or tips.

I would wait until I had the cruise actually booked, then start googling to find a deal on a hotel near the cruise port - maybe even use Priceline and get a stellar deal on a nice hotel. As someone else said, if you have to fly, it's going to cost more for most airlines. You could get lucky with a good internet fare on Southwest at the last minute, though.

When I got to the hotel where I planned to spend the night before the cruise, I would go online and book the excursions that I wanted. If ship sponsored excursions are full, you can always find independent ones, and in most ports, that's probably what I would do anyway. Not in Ocho Rios, and by looking at the port boards here, you can probably pick out the others that you might want to stick with the ship to book excursions.

Have a bit of an idea what interests you and what you might like to do, but be flexible, and just go with it. I would LOVE the chance to do a very last minute cruise, and would have a blast making sudden plans. :)

I booked an Allure cruise 8 days out ..don't stress it too much ... Call the cruise lines first, they may have a really good deal waiting for you. As for excursions if you plan on booking from the ship just walk up to the excursion desk.

Once you do book your cruise go to your roll call and see if there are groups of people planing a tour together most of the time they are just as good if not better then the ones booked on a ship plus they are a lot lot less expensive.

I would wait until I had the cruise actually booked, then start googling to find a deal on a hotel near the cruise port - maybe even use Priceline and get a stellar deal on a nice hotel. As someone else said, if you have to fly, it's going to cost more for most airlines. You could get lucky with a good internet fare on Southwest at the last minute, though.

When I got to the hotel where I planned to spend the night before the cruise, I would go online and book the excursions that I wanted. If ship sponsored excursions are full, you can always find independent ones, and in most ports, that's probably what I would do anyway. Not in Ocho Rios, and by looking at the port boards here, you can probably pick out the others that you might want to stick with the ship to book excursions.

Have a bit of an idea what interests you and what you might like to do, but be flexible, and just go with it. I would LOVE the chance to do a very last minute cruise, and would have a blast making sudden plans. :)

Yeah, thankfully not looking to fly. I am looking at cruises that will give me enough time to drive. I think not having to fly is one of the things that will make this a little more doable.

I am a serious planner so this is a little odd for me. We had to cancel our september cruise and I already had that one planned out. Its also hard because I am looking at options from new orleans, miami, port canaveral (which is the only port I know well) and baltimore. Soooo many variables and its my partner's first cruise...

Thanks for all your thoughts so far everyone!

Just my thoughts...I'm sort of in the same boat...hahaha

I have every option that is possible for us.

So I know what cruises I have to choose from.

If you need a hotel, plan on where you'd like to

stay, and know your options as well.

Make sure you have everything ready to pack,

(and even start packing things that you can get

a jump on, such as bathing suits and personal items)

Have your IDs ready. Just do everything possible

as though you are going, so you don't have so much

as the very last second. (I could have everything

packed and out the door in 1/2 hour...I've done it)

Now all you have to do is wait to see if you're actually

going. I would try booking directly with the cruise company.

I myself book my own online, but a last minute one,

I would do directly.

As far as shore excursions go, I wouldn't stress over it.

Go to the cruises you are interested in, see what ports are

involved and start looking at what you'd possible would

want to do. You don't have to pick "the exact excursion"

but at least know if you want to see the history of the

island, go to the beach, shop etc. If the cruiseline is

sold out you can always wait till you get to the island

and take it from there. I wish you well with this.

And keep in mind, things may not turn out the way

you were expecting, but hey, you got away. Beats

sitting at home:)

Yeah, thankfully not looking to fly. I am looking at cruises that will give me enough time to drive. I think not having to fly is one of the things that will make this a little more doable.

I am a serious planner so this is a little odd for me. We had to cancel our september cruise and I already had that one planned out. Its also hard because I am looking at options from new orleans, miami, port canaveral (which is the only port I know well) and baltimore. Soooo many variables and its my partner's first cruise...

bolding mine...

I'm a planner, too. I know all the choices, tours, sights in every port, where the good restaurants are in the embark city, blah blah blah. For our last cruise (which had been booked nearly a year in advance), I just never got to the researching, info gathering, documenting part of the "plan". Y'know what? We had a VERY different experience than we normally do, AND it was one of the best cruises we have ever had.

Reeeeeeelllllllaaaaaaax :) It will work, even though you are feeling a bit anxious about it now.

July 4th week still gives you plenty of planning time. I booked my Med cruise this year 6 weeks out and it was fine. I had a few to choose from that I liked a lot and I took the one that gave me the best deal. Book the cruise you want and the airfare asap. You can still get a good deal on airfare as long as you're 21+ days out. You may even still be able to jump onto a few private tours on the roll call but it may be too late for that. I didn't bother. I found it easier to just go online and book the ship's tours. It was the first time I'd ever done this but it was both easy to have my choices all in one place and it was fun to read through them all and make those choices. They worked out fine. Yes, it cost more of course, but it allowed us a vacation with no stress. You can then use CC to find the answers to all your other questions like what to pack! Have a great time!

July 4th week still gives you plenty of planning time. I booked my Med cruise this year 6 weeks out and it was fine. I had a few to choose from that I liked a lot and I took the one that gave me the best deal. Book the cruise you want and the airfare asap. You can still get a good deal on airfare as long as you're 21+ days out. You may even still be able to jump onto a few private tours on the roll call but it may be too late for that. I didn't bother. I found it easier to just go online and book the ship's tours. It was the first time I'd ever done this but it was both easy to have my choices all in one place and it was fun to read through them all and make those choices. They worked out fine. Yes, it cost more of course, but it allowed us a vacation with no stress. You can then use CC to find the answers to all your other questions like what to pack! Have a great time!

Not really 21 days sadly. If I could book right now I would have no real concerns, that would be easy to plan! Right now I am following about 10 cruises leaving from 4 different ports (on 3 cruise lines for simplicity's sake at this point.)

His vacation coincides with the shutdown week of one of the Ford plants here in KY. I can't book anything until what wk they shutdown is finalized and plans can change until the last minute. (Unfortunately for me there is a chance they could force him to work even..) I won't have any sort of finality on planning until the last week of June so about 7 days until sailing.

This is why I was hoping to get the opinion of more experienced cruisers. Depending on how the information travels and how confident I amwe might not book until 2 or 3 days out. My biggest fear is booking a cruise and not being able to take it. It is far from the best strategy trying to book like this, but I am trying to do the best with what I have and hoping I can make a cruise work.

Thank again to everyone who has added their input, it is all helpful!

This is why I was hoping to get the opinion of more experienced cruisers. Depending on how the information travels and how confident I amwe might not book until 2 or 3 days out. My biggest fear is booking a cruise and not being able to take it. It is far from the best strategy trying to book like this, but I am trying to do the best with what I have and hoping I can make a cruise work.

Thank again to everyone who has added their input, it is all helpful!

I too sometimes like to gamble.

I would book all the necessary hotels as they usually have 24 hour cancellation. Cancel the ones that don't match up with your cruise selection.

I think you are doing everything you can do. We booked our last (first) cruise only a few days before departure. As others have suggested, we had our passports ready (from prior travel), any necessary prescriptions filled, and except for a run to Target for a few items we read about on CC (bottles for carrying our water, etc) we were good to go.

We didn't worry about doing the "best" excursions. We focused on the time away without dishes or laundry or other chores to worry about. That alone was worth the trip.

It's only a cruise for a few days. You aren't going to the wilds without access to stores. :) So you may pay a bit more in a gift shop if you forgot your Tums or Pepto. You may have to use a brand of sunscreen you've never tried before, but it will all work out in the end.

Make your budget. Make a list of your driving times and possible hotels near the ports. Book rooms at places that let you cancel within 24 hours. If you like, check out some of the hints at sites like betterbidding if you are comfortable using Hotwire and Priceline.

And then walk away until you know you can book. Don't make yourself crazy. And enjoy your vacation!

If they interest you, add Oasis and Allure to your possibility list. They both sail from FLL 12 months. Many (most) ships leave the Caribbean in late spirng, summer, early fall.

Archived