On Grandeur now..

When you say "it has never been an issue in the past", do you know of other times this has happened? I know it happened with a Carnival ship recently in St. Martin, but do you know of other instances?

According to Carnival, the cruise line, local authorities, and the US government were prepared to allow passengers to travel without a passport. In no recent ship incident, or individual emergency have passengers not been allowed to return to the US from a cruise. I just don't see any reason to jump to the conclusion that there would be a problem. Passengers have to fly back all the time for various reasons....illness, emergency at home, etc. and it's never been a problem.

The cruise lines and US Government have thought about this and worked out procedures. I'm just not sure why this would be a special case, and would cause a problem.

After the Costa Concordia disaster, my family and I discussed what to do if there was an emergency at sea.

As a result, we all agreed that we will proceed to muster stations without wasting valuable time looking for each other. If the alarms sounds, just go!

On our cruises since Concordia, I packed a grab and go zip lock for each of us with ID, cash, meds, snacks and a small flashlight.

I hope and pray that we never need them.

I agree that everyone should just go to muster and meet up there. However, how would you feel if the family was split between different stations and you had no idea what was going on with them?

How does a chartered flight change the fact that you are entering the US by air. That closed loop cruise is history.

I would assume that there would be communication between Royal Caribbean and CPB in Baltimore, and under the circumstances the immigration officials would be able to treat a charter flight the same way they would have treated the returning cruise ship.

Does that make too much common sense?:confused:

There must be someone in each cabin who is 21 or older. You would not be permitted to book your children alone in their own cabin, unless they were next door to your cabin or directly across the hall.

Well we have our two boys (11-15) booked in an inside cabin directly across the hall from us on deck 9 on Allure....I am now going to make sure that we will be assigned the same muster station.

But you deal with the situation at hand. You don't act juvenile and make threats that you won't follow procedure in an emergency. If you're concerned that the children need a parent than some cabin switching should be done.

See my post earlier - this may not work in all situations - It would not work for us.

After the Costa Concordia disaster, my family and I discussed what to do if there was an emergency at sea.

As a result, we all agreed that we will proceed to muster stations without wasting valuable time looking for each other. If the alarms sounds, just go!

On our cruises since Concordia, I packed a grab and go zip lock for each of us with ID, cash, meds, snacks and a small flashlight.

I hope and pray that we never need them.

This seems like common sense to me. If there is an emergency, the cruiseline already has designated meeting places for you. Running around the ship looking for someone is just going to make things more chaotic.

It could not be determined with 100% certainty, but circumstantially, it was determined to be most likely caused by a cigarette.

I think I've missed something: was this confirmed (even as circumstantial) by the authorities investigating the fire event or was this confirmed here on CC??:confused:

And no matter how well anyone can take care of him/her self, families being separated during the time of an emergency would be added, and unneeded, stress.

actually, the adults being separated and kids divided between them may be a good thing. if the ship goes down maybe at least some of the family will make it.

That is the same thought process my mother used to use when I was a kid and we were all going to fly someplace on the same plane.

It is an issue, but as long as CBP is tuned in to it back in Baltimore, it should be ok.

Recently, Carnival Dream had to end a cruise short in St. Martin. Some of the passengers were placed on other ships. This created havoc because by doing this, it negated the Closed Loop process because they changed ships. They returned to the U.S., mixed in with a couple thousand other passengers from that ship. CBP was not made aware of who all came from the Dream, or even of the scenario.

But that's not the scenario here. The best thing for RCI to do is charter a plane for the non passport holders.

Sorry this never happened.........CBP would have been advised. All it would have taken is 1 person to get caught and the story come up...Carnival would have had fines so high they would be out of business. Not to mention the jail time the people responsible for not informing DBP would have been measured by years, not months.

I am sure CBP was advised and understood the situation and agree to let the passengers from the dream enter the US on their original paperwork.

AKK

It could not be determined with 100% certainty, but circumstantially, it was determined to be most likely caused by a cigarette.

Your information source is???

Another thought... Is this the area where furniture is fixed, stained and painted etc???

I agree that everyone should just go to muster and meet up there. However, how would you feel if the family was split between different stations and you had no idea what was going on with them?

As long as I know they know to go to their muster station and follow crew instructions, I would be satisfied. The point is their safety, not how I feel about it. I would rather them be safe, and me not know it, than have them put in harms way because they were trying to find me.

I would assume that there would be communication between Royal Caribbean and CPB in Baltimore, and under the circumstances the immigration officials would be able to treat a charter flight the same way they would have treated the returning cruise ship.

Does that make too much common sense?:confused:

Common sense and the US government.....;):D

Your information source is???

Another thought... Is this the area where furniture is fixed, stained and painted etc???

Paul was talking about the Star Princess fire, not the Grandeur fire.

That is the same thought process my mother used to use when I was a kid and we were all going to fly someplace on the same plane.

I had a college roommate who was an only child.

The parents NEVER flew on the same flight. They ALWAYS took separate flights, no matter where they were going.

:eek:

As long as I know they know to go to their muster station and follow crew instructions, I would be satisfied. The point is their safety, not how I feel about it. I would rather them be safe, and me not know it, than have them put in harms way because they were trying to find me.

with one dd 20 yrs who fits due to sugar drops if shocked/ frightened there is no way my younger dd 15 would be left to help get her off the ship - not happening no way!!!

I think I've missed something: was this confirmed (even as circumstantial) by the authorities investigating the fire event or was this confirmed here on CC??:confused:

Yes....by the officials....but you'll just have to trust me on that one. Reports are written as fact, not best speculation based on circumstances. From what I remember, the final report did not specify cause, other than the balcony deck being flammable, which forced a change industry wide.

I just happen to know some of the guys who were involved in the investigation. I trust their experience in these matters and they all came to the same likely conclusion. It just could be proven with evidence.

Why should it matter? The issue is not getting onto the plane it is re-entering the US.

It will be a hassle, but US citizens will be readmitted. The border protection personnel can admit a person if there is "reasonable" belief that the person is a citizen. Based on a DL and a BC, they will be OK. I am fairly certain that the bureaucracy will exact a "pound of flesh."

Did I not say that everyone should go straight to their muster station without looking for family first?

The official report states "it was probably caused by a discarded cigarette end heating combustible materials on a balcony" as found on page 11 here:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/star%20princess.pdf

It also says they were unable to duplicate it during their testing. Which is why the cause was considered indeterminate.

Archived