Istanbul Suggestions

Can someone please rate in order what would they see and why. I am only able to see one and am having a difficult time deciding. 1 Basilica Cistern (I read that it is very dark and that you can't see much) 2 Archaeology Museum (I like museums but heard that this one is not as nice as others) 3 Bosphorus Bridge or Cruise (I read that there is nothing on the bridge to really see and the cruise well... I don't know I am already on a cruise ship so kinda didn't really want to do this one)

Since you have heard such negative things about each, why do you even want to see them? :p Perhaps instead of just opinions, it would be better to get a guidebook and read about each site, decide which appeals to you most, and select that one.

Personally, I've done all 3 of the things you mentioned, and I enjoyed two of them so much that I've actually done them twice -- the Archaeology Museum and the Basilica Cistern.

The Archaeology Museum is fantastic but seems to be little known, at least to cruisers. The Alexander sarcophagus alone is worth the price of admission. That plus the busts of Alexander and the findings from Troy (not well displayed) make it very worthy indeed.

They also have a remnant of the huge chain that was used, once upon a time, to close off the Golden Horn in case of an attack on the city by sea. And many other treasures, of course.

As for the Basilica Cistern, it's a very evocative place. Yes, it's dim but I wouldn't say you can't see -- parts of it are spotlit for effect.

I am not sure why you feel you only have time for one of these things. The Basilica Cistern only takes a few minutes, while a visit to the museum would take several hours and the same for the Bosphorus cruise.

It's not that cruisemom42, I looked at trip advisor for all the negatives because the ship tour does not have for example the Museum with the Cistern, and to top it off, it is a two day excursion, so I can't even do it separately on day two so... but yeah I would love to see them all and judge for myself;)

It's not that cruisemom42, I looked at trip advisor for all the negatives because the ship tour does not have for example the Museum with the Cistern, and to top it off, it is a two day excursion, so I can't even do it separately on day two so... but yeah I would love to see them all and judge for myself;)

If you are there for two days, you could tour on your own -- very easy in Istanbul -- and probably see everything you most want to see without having to choose this or that.

Can someone please rate in order what would they see and why. I am only able to see one and am having a difficult time deciding. 1 Basilica Cistern (I read that it is very dark and that you can't see much) 2 Archaeology Museum (I like museums but heard that this one is not as nice as others) 3 Bosphorus Bridge or Cruise (I read that there is nothing on the bridge to really see and the cruise well... I don't know I am already on a cruise ship so kinda didn't really want to do this one)

In case it helps the Basilaca Cistern looks like this

While it is not that brightly lit you can see all you want and I thought it was great. All the best, Tony

Archived