1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

I absolutely loved you review pictures and all. I love everything about Carnival and love to hear what other people think and feel, especially since everyone consider Carnival the "Party" ship. I have never tried another cruise line a little too pricey for me.....Maybe if I tried another cruise line I could compare also but not sure if that will happen????

Your little girl is so cute, you kept her looking cute all the time. I wish I could have seen some dress up pictures of her and you and your family as well although... I LOVE LOVE LOVE girls.. I just got a new grand daughter ..Lil girls are so fun to dress up. You dont look old enough to have older kids, I was surprised. I also work in a hospital and your review kept me entertained in between patients. I am a registrar....I am now on to reading your review that includes the bahamas, we are cruisng in September on the Imagination in September...2nd time on her but not since the upgrade...LOL... The next time I cruise I am going to cruise on a new glitzier Carnival ship......

Nita

Greetings Kim! It has taken me 3 days of on and off reading to finish, but I consider it time well spent. Thanks for a fabulous review!

I don't know if you remember but you and I talked one night on ncl boards and you were were really stressing about passing med surg and pharm. I'm so happy to see you're doing OB now...which tells me you made it through! Congrats!!

Congrats on the new baby coming as well!:D:D:D

I absolutely loved you review pictures and all. I love everything about Carnival and love to hear what other people think and feel, especially since everyone consider Carnival the "Party" ship. I have never tried another cruise line a little too pricey for me.....Maybe if I tried another cruise line I could compare also but not sure if that will happen????

Your little girl is so cute, you kept her looking cute all the time. I wish I could have seen some dress up pictures of her and you and your family as well although... I LOVE LOVE LOVE girls.. I just got a new grand daughter ..Lil girls are so fun to dress up. You dont look old enough to have older kids, I was surprised. I also work in a hospital and your review kept me entertained in between patients. I am a registrar....I am now on to reading your review that includes the bahamas, we are cruisng in September on the Imagination in September...2nd time on her but not since the upgrade...LOL... The next time I cruise I am going to cruise on a new glitzier Carnival ship......

Nita

I noticed on your Nassu cruise review you did snorkeling....I know that you do much research before hand, befor you decided to go snorkeling you said you were going to walk to one of the beaches....I dont snorkel so I am trying to find out a really nice beack to go to with the nice water you talked about on your previous beach trips....Im the opposite of you I can sit still and love to watch the beautiful water play at liitle bit in the water and then go back to a nice beach chair and watch the water some more.....LOL

Thank you very much. :):)

You are very welcome.

Nita

Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the review.

I use to be a registrar in the ER prior to becoming a tech, so I can truly relate. However, we're not allowed on the internet at work. :(

As for not trying another line because it is too expensive, I have been cruising with NCL only since 2010 and I can tell you we have paid less on several of those cruises than we did on the Dream. We love to take advantage of the off season of course and also any time they have a "Kids Sail Free" program, I jump on it. Actually every cruise since we have been taking our little one with us was a kids sail free promo I believe. :D

As for seeing some dress up pictures. I don't do the dress up nights on any of my cruises...well, because I do my daughters (and families) myself. So, no need to buy over priced photos from someone else. I only buy the one's while in port because you can't exactly recreate that or the memories from home. :p

Greetings Kim! It has taken me 3 days of on and off reading to finish, but I consider it time well spent. Thanks for a fabulous review!

I don't know if you remember but you and I talked one night on ncl boards and you were were really stressing about passing med surg and pharm. I'm so happy to see you're doing OB now...which tells me you made it through! Congrats!!

Congrats on the new baby coming as well!:D:D:D

Yep, I made it. Whew!!! I have to admit, that semester is probably the most stressed that I have ever been in my entire life. Seriously. I don't think I have ever been this stressed before. I'm loving this semester so far. We have had 1 test and I did well on it. I just finished OB today and did well and for the next 5 weeks I will be in community health (which I have to admit, it will SUCK because they are sending us to the YMCA to BABYSIT the kids??? What does that have to do with Nursing? Seriously? I would rather be at the health department, food pantry, homeless shelter...something that we could "teach" healthcare, give immunizations, or something actually "community" wise. Sigh).

Thanks for the congrats on the new baby. :D (Crossing fingers for a girl this time around).

I noticed on your Nassu cruise review you did snorkeling....I know that you do much research before hand, befor you decided to go snorkeling you said you were going to walk to one of the beaches....I dont snorkel so I am trying to find out a really nice beack to go to with the nice water you talked about on your previous beach trips....Im the opposite of you I can sit still and love to watch the beautiful water play at liitle bit in the water and then go back to a nice beach chair and watch the water some more.....LOL

When we went to Nassau, they ONLY reason with did the sail and snorkel tour was because I won a "nice" jackpot at the slots on the Epic (enough that I bought my husband a nice new black diamond ring he had been eyeballing all week and then we splurged a little by doing this snorkeling). Although we had a good snorkel, it wouldn't be something I would do again there. I would go to the free beach that is within walking distance from the port and just make it a "swim/beach" type of day.

The beach I had intended on going to is called Junkanoo Beach. You just walk down and past the straw market and keep going and it's in that area past that. (I think there might be a Senior Frogs around there or some type of place like that).

It's nothing big or fancy or anything. It's just a free beach and one that you don't have to spend any money in cab rides to get to either.

If you go on the Bahamas board and search for Junkanoo, you will find a few post there on it. There use to be a poster that I believe either lived there or went there a lot and she was always around to answer questions. I think her name was scubagirl or something.

I only knew about Junkanoo because we went there back in the 80's on a cruise. The cruise ship is right there in front of you basically and you can get some good pictures from that beach (depending on "where" you are "parked" of course).

Back when we went before, it was just a beach along the side of the road. There wasn't anything there and hardly anyone there either. Now I understand they have restrooms there and I believe a food stand of some sort. But that's the most I can tell you about it since we didn't make it there that time.

Oh also, there are some huge rocks there and people like to go and jump off of them (or is it a concrete wall??? I don't remember) and it makes for some entertainment for the day and fun. You can search on youtube and see some footage of that as well.

I hope that helps. :)

Finally made it to the end. The wife and daughter did this itinerary Spring Break 2012 this will be my 4th CC and I have done RCCL one other time. We are going Eastern CB on 6/29 and will be in Nassau, St Thomas and St Maartens. I enjoyed the review and can't wait to try this beauty out. If I see Svetlana I'll give her a piece of my mind lol. I'll have a couple extra pieces of cheesecake just for you and I will hit the pasta bar in your honor :)

Thanks again and I'll write a review when I get back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Finally made it to the end. The wife and daughter did this itinerary Spring Break 2012 this will be my 4th CC and I have done RCCL one other time. We are going Eastern CB on 6/29 and will be in Nassau, St Thomas and St Maartens. I enjoyed the review and can't wait to try this beauty out. If I see Svetlana I'll give her a piece of my mind lol. I'll have a couple extra pieces of cheesecake just for you and I will hit the pasta bar in your honor :)

Thanks again and I'll write a review when I get back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I hope you have a blast. She's a beautiful ship. I love St Thomas and St Maarten.

Please do have several cheesecakes for me and the pasta bar I missed out on....and if you do run in to Svetlana, give her a piece of my mind too! ;)

So....here ya go.

3-M.jpg

last-M.jpg

angel_filtered%20night-M.jpg

DSC03733_pp_filteredwebstamped-M.jpg

DSC08263_pp_filtered-M.jpg

DSC08317-3-M.jpg

And it didn't cost me a dime.

She is adorable, her cute round face....So cute....

We're not suppose to either, but since I have a desk job as a registrar I sometime sneak in between...LOL....

Yep, I made it. Whew!!! I have to admit, that semester is probably the most stressed that I have ever been in my entire life. Seriously. I don't think I have ever been this stressed before. I'm loving this semester so far. We have had 1 test and I did well on it. I just finished OB today and did well and for the next 5 weeks I will be in community health (which I have to admit, it will SUCK because they are sending us to the YMCA to BABYSIT the kids??? What does that have to do with Nursing? Seriously? I would rather be at the health department, food pantry, homeless shelter...something that we could "teach" healthcare, give immunizations, or something actually "community" wise. Sigh).

Thanks for the congrats on the new baby. :D (Crossing fingers for a girl this time around).

When we went to Nassau, they ONLY reason with did the sail and snorkel tour was because I won a "nice" jackpot at the slots on the Epic (enough that I bought my husband a nice new black diamond ring he had been eyeballing all week and then we splurged a little by doing this snorkeling). Although we had a good snorkel, it wouldn't be something I would do again there. I would go to the free beach that is within walking distance from the port and just make it a "swim/beach" type of day.

The beach I had intended on going to is called Junkanoo Beach. You just walk down and past the straw market and keep going and it's in that area past that. (I think there might be a Senior Frogs around there or some type of place like that).

It's nothing big or fancy or anything. It's just a free beach and one that you don't have to spend any money in cab rides to get to either.

If you go on the Bahamas board and search for Junkanoo, you will find a few post there on it. There use to be a poster that I believe either lived there or went there a lot and she was always around to answer questions. I think her name was scubagirl or something.

I only knew about Junkanoo because we went there back in the 80's on a cruise. The cruise ship is right there in front of you basically and you can get some good pictures from that beach (depending on "where" you are "parked" of course).

Back when we went before, it was just a beach along the side of the road. There wasn't anything there and hardly anyone there either. Now I understand they have restrooms there and I believe a food stand of some sort. But that's the most I can tell you about it since we didn't make it there that time.

Oh also, there are some huge rocks there and people like to go and jump off of them (or is it a concrete wall??? I don't remember) and it makes for some entertainment for the day and fun. You can search on youtube and see some footage of that as well.

I hope that helps. :)

It helps, I wish I could see some pictures of these beaches, becuase I want a nice one. Not one with a lot of seaweed and rocks. Just nice clean sand and beautiful water...Not sure if there is a beach in Bahamas that is like that or not. I read revies on the Atlantis and most are saying its not worth the money, but they do have a beach area????? Not sure what to do I have to the 1st of September to figure it out....Thanks :)

It helps, I wish I could see some pictures of these beaches, becuase I want a nice one. Not one with a lot of seaweed and rocks. Just nice clean sand and beautiful water...Not sure if there is a beach in Bahamas that is like that or not. I read revies on the Atlantis and most are saying its not worth the money, but they do have a beach area????? Not sure what to do I have to the 1st of September to figure it out....Thanks :)

I think I am sold on going to the Shearton for the day, have been on here all day looking at reviews regarding beaches.....LOL

Junkanoo Beach

130109_Bahamas_Marathon6c8a.jpg?1357569802

6118051-Junkanoo_Beach_Nassau.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.u5.jpg

junkanoobeach1_zps56a5ceae.jpg

Just images around the web....not mine. Just do a search and you'll get a feel for the place. :)

Ok...Thank you...I did read reviews that it is a ways from the port and takes a minute to get there, not that it matters we will be docked all night... Do you know if their is a charge for this beach.....Im going to search for some more pictures....The first picture looks seaweedy and the second one looks rocky...Im going to look for some reviews and see what people are saying about it... You can continue to chime in if you have some more news about it...Thanks

Ok...Thank you...I did read reviews that it is a ways from the port and takes a minute to get there, not that it matters we will be docked all night... Do you know if their is a charge for this beach.....Im going to search for some more pictures....The first picture looks seaweedy and the second one looks rocky...Im going to look for some reviews and see what people are saying about it... You can continue to chime in if you have some more news about it...Thanks

I do like how you can see the ships dock there, I like taking cool pictures like that...

I do know that it is a free beach.

I do like how you can see the ships dock there, I like taking cool pictures like that...

There is also a light house that can be seen from here as well. I remember seeing it and taking pictures of it back in the day when we were there and others have mentioned it as well.

Hey Kim - Great review! I am glad you enjoyed your Carnival Cruise. Congratulations on the grand baby news, Sakari looks so cute. I just finally signed up for facebook. I know I told you I was going to do that months ago. I couldn't find you on Facebook so look for me. -Eileen

Awww, thanks. She cleans up rather nicely when needed. :D

I know this isn't really the place to ask the following, but I am trying to catch up to a thread where I think you will return......

First, let me thank you for your very thorough & personal reviews.

I just finished reading your reviews of Almaplena & Nonoch Kay & I'm so glad I did. I am leaving on the Dream in a week & 1/2 & was fully convinced after reading so many reviews & looking at food pics that Nohoch Kay was the place to go in Costa Maya.

You gave a complete 180 of what I had read & seen. Even the food pics didn't look appetizing which was a main reason we had settled on Nohoch. After reading your review, it seems that Nohoch is not the place for us. As you pointed out, different strokes for different folks. However, I have read quite a number of your posts & you seem to see things along the same vein as I do.

Just to be clear, do you think the $ was worth going to Almaplena? We were able to get an old rate for Nohoch, making Almaplena twice the price, but, after reading your review & seeing your pics of Nohoch, if you don't think Almaplena is worth it, I'm thinking we just may up going to see some ruins instead. I am just not into ankle-high, cloudy, potentially dangerous turtle grass for our last port day of our cruise.

Also, what camera did you use at Nohoch? Your pics came out amazing.

BTW, your daughter is a real cutey!

Thanks in advance.

She is adorable, her cute round face....So cute....

We're not suppose to either, but since I have a desk job as a registrar I sometime sneak in between...LOL....

Your daughter is such a cutey, & OMG, I have those exact black shoes! I love them & wear them all the time. Like I said, you seem to think along the same vein as I do. LOL

(Oops. Sorry I quoted the wrong post. This was supposed to be in response to mitsugirly.)

Edited by Bluemoon319
Needed to add a comment

I know this isn't really the place to ask the following, but I am trying to catch up to a thread where I think you will return......

First, let me thank you for your very thorough & personal reviews.

I just finished reading your reviews of Almaplena & Nonoch Kay & I'm so glad I did. I am leaving on the Dream in a week & 1/2 & was fully convinced after reading so many reviews & looking at food pics that Nohoch Kay was the place to go in Costa Maya.

You gave a complete 180 of what I had read & seen. Even the food pics didn't look appetizing which was a main reason we had settled on Nohoch. After reading your review, it seems that Nohoch is not the place for us. As you pointed out, different strokes for different folks. However, I have read quite a number of your posts & you seem to see things along the same vein as I do.

Just to be clear, do you think the $ was worth going to Almaplena? We were able to get an old rate for Nohoch, making Almaplena twice the price, but, after reading your review & seeing your pics of Nohoch, if you don't think Almaplena is worth it, I'm thinking we just may up going to see some ruins instead. I am just not into ankle-high, cloudy, potentially dangerous turtle grass for our last port day of our cruise.

Also, what camera did you use at Nohoch? Your pics came out amazing.

BTW, your daughter is a real cutey!

Thanks in advance.

Why thank you so much for taking the time (and have the patience to complete) my review. :D I had a lot of fun doing it, even though it was very rushed and I did realize after completing it that I missed things here and there. Oh well. :p

Lots of people love Nohoch for some reason. It just wasn't the place for us. When I visit the Caribbean, I want to go somewhere that "looks" like the Caribbean that you see in the pictures. JMO (and I'm not knocking any of the places we have been to) but I can get the murky brownish water right here at home at our man made beaches and lakes. Just not my thing.

So, to answer your question, yes, if it was me, I would definitely give Almaplena a try. It is beautiful there, very secluded, beautiful water, snorkeling, beach...just really nice and relaxing WITH the beautiful water. That's why I visit the Caribbean. But this is just me. ;)

My ONLY problem with Almaplena (and it wasn't a problem really) was that the main lunch wasn't the greatest. This was NOT the fault of the staff/facility. I left it up to them to serve us whatever and didn't pick what we wanted. I did see what others had and I wished I would have picked what they had or looked at the menu. So, I would definitely go back there again (time permitting depending on how long we would be in port).

As for the cameras. I have an Olympus Tough camera and also 2 Canon D10's. I love them both, but on my last 2 cruises, I have to admit, I have been partial to the Olympus. :p

Your daughter is such a cutey, & OMG, I have those exact black shoes! I love them & wear them all the time. Like I said, you seem to think along the same vein as I do. LOL

(Oops. Sorry I quoted the wrong post. This was supposed to be in response to mitsugirly.)

Thanks so much. Those shoes are her big sissy's shoes. When I took the picture, it was labeled "trying to fill my big sissy's shoes". hehe :D :p

Whatever you decide, report back and let me know how it goes. I would love to hear.

Hey Kim - Great review! I am glad you enjoyed your Carnival Cruise. Congratulations on the grand baby news, Sakari looks so cute. I just finally signed up for facebook. I know I told you I was going to do that months ago. I couldn't find you on Facebook so look for me. -Eileen

Well it's about time girl! :p Email me mitsubishigirl19 hotmail :D I can't find you without your last name. ;)

Whatever you decide, report back and let me know how it goes. I would love to hear.

Surprisingly with such short notice, there was availability at Almaplena. I am just waiting to hear back from them with their PayPal link. I spotted your review in Tripadvisor & sent you a note there. I really feel like we dodged a bullet at the last minute on this one. I've certainly had my share of excursions that weren't the greatest, & just chalk it up to guess we just won't do that again, but Costa Maya is our last port for this cruise. Otherwise I would feel differently. It would have been such a shame to end our port days with an anticlimax. Thanks again!

Kim, I want to thank you for another great review and pictures! Our close friends have sailed Carnival Dream several times so I knew they loved it, but they never had pictures like you do to show me why they liked it. Now I see why they keep going back, and I guess I see why they're sailing on the Breeze in August.

DH and I have done several cruises, but will be doing our first Western this fall. I have been going back through some of your previous reviews because you seem to like the same kind of shore excursions as we do. So far you have helped me rule out Nachi Cocum because of how hard you said it was to walk in the soft sand. Last time I was on a beach like that I was gasping for breath just walking from my lounger to the water. Not like me at all! Based on your reviews and my own research, at this point I think we are going to Chankanaab. Yes, like you I am a bit OCD about my research! :D As long as my fussy DH can walk down the stairs there and swim without having to walk over rocks to get into the snorkel area I think we will really like it there. Your reports really have been a big help to me, so thank you so much for all you share.