Balconies on Island or Coral Princess

frecgenswl82

I am looking to book a cruise on either the Island or Coral Princess next year to Alaska. I am looking at Cabin B618. What is in front of the balcony? Looking at the deck plans there is a space in front of the cabin. By the way this is a handicapped cabin. Thanks for any help.

Do you mean the light-gray shaded area beyond the balcony? That's a shadow representation of the Promenade Deck's footprint, four decks below you. So if you look down from your cabin, you're looking at balconies on Caribe/Dolphin that jut out further from the ship and provide cover over the lifeboats that hang above the promenade. I may not be explaining it clearly, but as always, a photo is worth 1000 words. (This photo is from this site, a fantastic resource about cabins on your ship: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id6.html) You can see how Baja balconies (two decks below the floor-to-ceiling windows which are on Lido deck, and I believe your cabin is the second from the end before the bump-out section) are recessed back compared to lower decks Caribe and Dolphin balconies. So there's nothing in front of your view, but you'll be looking down and out to the water, and straight down to others' balconies.

coralprincessoutsidebalview.jpgBaja is

I am looking to book a cruise on either the Island or Coral Princess next year to Alaska. I am looking at Cabin B618. What is in front of the balcony? Looking at the deck plans there is a space in front of the cabin. By the way this is a handicapped cabin. Thanks for any help.

Nothing in front of the balcony, you will have a clear view.

You will have a clear view. The balcony will be shaded from the Aloha deck above and the Lido deck above that. The Lido deck will stick out over both decks. You can look down on the Caribe with their extended balconies. Personally we like the Baja deck because of the partial privacy (no one looking down on us from above). The Caribe is nice but more $$$.

The Island/Coral are Panamax ships built to go through the canal so they are not as wide as the other ships.

Are the balconies on all four decks the same size for the same cabin type? If I were to book a standard balcony stateroom, which deck is best? Was also wondering if any of these cabins have a small couch or is it just two desk type chairs?

Are the balconies on all four decks the same size for the same cabin type? If I were to book a standard balcony stateroom, which deck is best? Was also wondering if any of these cabins have a small couch or is it just two desk type chairs?

You should go to the website listed in a previous post. It's pretty much everything you'll need to choose a cabin on the Island/Coral. You can see pictures of the balconies. Some are fully covered, partially covered and uncovered. You need to decide what is best for you. Pay attention to the bump out sections and corners if privacy is an issue to you. Balcony cabins have one desk chair and one small barrel style easy chair. Mini-suites have a couch. You can see images of the cabins on the Princess website. You can see on the deck plan if a balcony is larger or smaller. Hope this helps.

The website is a wonderful help. We printed out the page and took it to our travel agent so we would be sure that the balcony suite was exactly what we wanted. After spending so much money I want to make sure we're happy with our choice :)

Thank you for the suggestion to check out the above link. I've bookmarked it. VERY helpful information, especially by clinking the link for each deck.

For a Caribbean / Panama canal cruise, would it be best to have a covered balcony to protect from the heat? It is helpful to be able to see which balconies afford the most privacy. No surprises. For those familiar with the Coral, is the D206 balcony have a lot of steel around it making it less desirable for viewing out? Photo A on above linked website shows the foremost forward balcony as being partially obstructed. Or is it just the way it looks in the pic? Hate to pay for a balcony and only have half a view.

A partially covered balcony may help to protect you from the sun but not the heat. The ship goes thru the canal very slowly so you won't get a lot of breeze. It will also be humid. The nice thing about having your own balcony is that reprieve is just on the other side of the balcony door in your air conditioned state room if you do feel it opressive outside.

Archived