At what point do you stop cruising?

A cousin had medical issues while on a European River cruise. He was sent to a local hospital that was less than stellar. When he got home his doctor said to travel local from now on.

This made me think in light of a few recent posts about medical issues while onboard.

One was during the fire and someone with meds that needs to be kept cold was bothered by the lack of power. Also when told they could be evacuated to a hotel but declined because they were too tired to do all that packing in a short amount of time.

The other was one who was not happy with medical facility and doctors knowledge of how to handle his medical issue.

So where is personal responsibility in all of this? Why cruise when you know that when in a crisis situation there is a possibility that something could go wrong? Personally I would have a plan in place, or just not cruise/vacation in places where things could go awry in a panic/emergency situation. I cruise now while I am still reasonably fit, but when I no longer am, I will travel locally or not at all.

A cousin had medical issues while on a European River cruise. He was sent to a local hospital that was less than stellar. When he got home his doctor said to travel local from now on.

This made me think in light of a few recent posts about medical issues while onboard.

One was during the fire and someone with meds that needs to be kept cold was bothered by the lack of power. Also when told they could be evacuated to a hotel but declined because they were too tired to do all that packing in a short amount of time.

The other was one who was not happy with medical facility and doctors knowledge of how to handle his medical issue.

So where is personal responsibility in all of this? Why cruise when you know that when in a crisis situation there is a possibility that something could go wrong? Personally I would have a plan in place, or just not cruise/vacation in places where things could go awry in a panic/emergency situation. I cruise now while I am still reasonably fit, but when I no longer am, I will travel locally or not at all.

I would travel even if ill with the type of condition that 'could' result in needing medical intervention.

I'd rather die on a cruise ship than die doing very monotonous things at home or close by 'just in case' I became ill

I would travel even if ill with the type of condition that 'could' result in needing medical intervention.

I'd rather die on a cruise ship than die doing very monotonous things at home or close by 'just in case' I became ill

I agree!

Whilst ever I can take care of my own medications, mobility etc. I will continue to cruise as will my elderly Mother.

She is 87-years old and is in pretty good physical shape as she attends a gym 3 times per week, lives alone, drives herself etc.

She enjoys cruising and booking a cruise each year gives her something to look forward to and to stay well for.

I know that she feels reassured having me come along with her and of course, I'm happy to do so! :D

Gae

I'd like to think that I'll never stop cruising, but I would imagine it would depend on my experience. If I were on one of these ships that catches on fire and had to make due in very bad conditions, I might just change my mind! But then again, I might not.

I'm with you. We all have to go sometime. My friend's father loved nothing more than to take bus trips to Atlantic City, gamble a while and then watch the ocean. On one trip, he sat on a bench on the boardwalk facing the ocean and fell asleep. He did not wake up. But, he went doing what he loved in a place he loved. Better than being in a hospital or nursing home IMO.

I'm with you. We all have to go sometime. My friend's father loved nothing more than to take bus trips to Atlantic City, gamble a while and then watch the ocean. On one trip, he sat on a bench on the boardwalk facing the ocean and fell asleep. He did not wake up. But, he went doing what he loved in a place he loved. Better than being in a hospital or nursing home IMO.

I agree - I like that story (if like is the right word to use!)

Happy cruising :-)

It's is an interesting topic and timely too. Not only the folks from the fire thread but there was also a thread by a fellow with multiple complicated health issues that was passed off by the ships Dr to of all places a hospital Mexico, :eek: because he was probably more complicated than she could or wanted to handle (that he was a demanding physician probably only increased her " hands off" attitude)

My DH had a heart surgery at a very young age. The nature of the surgery required some decisions- one of which was to accept the idea that he will need another heart surgery a a later date, but allows him to live a more " normal" less medicated life now.

We traveled before his surgery, but since we have put a high priority on traveling to difficult, adventurous or poorly developed places now, before the need for a second surgery, while we are still young enough to both manage and enjoy more adventurous or arduous travel and while we are covered by more inclusive private insurance and trip/evac insurance is still cheap to get.

We decided we want to be substantially "done" with this sort of travel (including cruises to lesser developed countries where medical care is poor) by 65-70. Even of we are still healthy, according to our time line, we will have taken in most of the more complicated destinations on our list and be ready to continue our travel but to places where our Medicare will cover us (assuming it exists then:rolleyes:) and where we can expect to find world class medical care nearby (European cities, Canadian and US travel primarily)

The downside to our plan is we are not retired and we can't piggy back destinations and stay a month or more, we have to try to fit in our adventures in 1-2 weeks, maybe 3.

I know plenty of people stay healthy and travel late into the 70s, even 80s, I'm sure, but I've seen with my own family, even the fittest find it increasingly difficult to deal with the pace and demands of travel and of course there is the always present need for medical care. I don't know about everyone, but even the healthiest members of my family have various Dr appointments, tests and procedures on a nearly weekly basis, just to " stay" healthy, and everyone I know that age has at least one annual " crisis" illness or need for surgery (even if just elective) Hoping one of the crises doesn't happen while I'm in Antarctica is not the way I want to go. :eek: We hope to tick off our bucket list now, not later- and if we kick the bucket early, we won't have any regrets:D

But my real question is why then make issues with your ship/hotel, etc. when things go wrong? My agenda is to spend my last moments if possible on a roller coaster, but a cruise would be a close second. After I hurt my back on the zip line it altered what I would attempt in the future, but I hold only myself responsible should I try something I shouldn't.

I should also share the story of a family friend who went on a cruise with a big group,including his sister. He was very close to death from cancer but did not tell anyone in the group ( mostly lifelong friends) his kids or his sister. Of course he grew more gravely ill on the cruise and required medical attention, then evacuation. Once at the FL port hospital his kids rushed down and he died within days of the cruise. He may have done it his "way", but I will tell you his friends and family thought it was very cruel for him to lie to them all and then put than all through he double hockey sticks worrying, as well as inconveniencing the other passengers!:(

My parents (my dad has Parkinsons and my mom scleroderma, which affects her lungs) continue to cruise, however they now bring at least one of their adult children (+ spouse) with them on cruises to have someone there just in case.

I did a Panama Canal cruise with them last October and had a great time. I'm starting to plan an Alaska cruise for us to take, most likely next year.

I'll stop cruising if I develop a condition that makes me just too miserable and uncomfortable to be on a cruise. Also if I have a condition that requires others to be greatly inconvenienced because of my condition. For example, I would hate to cause a ship to have to divert to an unsceduled port or lose time with a rescue at sea.

If I thought I might not be well enough to endure an entire cruise, I wouldn't go. I would hate to ruin the cruise of those accompanying me by dying during a cruise.

Having gone thru two cancer scares, one 2.5 yrs ago, 15 months before our first TA from Barcelona and I still was able to go, I value the time I have on this earth and as long as I am able to cruise, and can round up the $$ I will continue to cruise until the good Lord says otherwise. DH says his cruising days maybe over after our 54 Australian Adventure with 3 cruises and 9 days land trip, next year but told me if I wish to cruise to go ahead. Funny thing he has said this for the last 3 cruises so expect if Momma books a cruise he won't be far behind.:)

I would still cruise. I'd rather die at sea than sit around in a rest home, doing nothing and waiting to die.

We have just had a medical crisis while travelling. It started on board a cruise ship and the treatment my DH had there was appropriate at that time. However, his condition escalated soon after the cruise ended and he had a 911 admission to hospital in Vancouver.

We're back home in NZ now and DH has been referred to a cardiologist. It is possible that his heart failure is reversible but, even if it is not, we will still travel (although we will choose our destinations carefully).

DH and I have come to an agreement to accept the risk. If either one of us dies while travelling, we will be cremated and our ashes will be brought back home - for later burial at sea (with family present) off a cruise ship.

My only child is still young so while she's still very much dependent on her dad and me I wouldn't travel abroad with a known serious condition. Once she's out of the house and on her own that might change.

I don't blame people who have medical issues not wanting to just stay close to home but I think they need to be prepared. IMO that means top of the line travel insurance that allows patient driven evacuation.

My parents (my dad has Parkinsons and my mom scleroderma, which affects her lungs) continue to cruise, however they now bring at least one of their adult children (+ spouse) with them on cruises to have someone there just in case.

I did a Panama Canal cruise with them last October and had a great time. I'm starting to plan an Alaska cruise for us to take, most likely next year.

I think it's great that you are able to go with them for assistance if needed. However after reading the thread about visiting the ships doctors I would have major concerns about traveling with life threatening illnesses. I always assumed the doctor on board would at least be able to treat minor things but a doctor that can't even diagnose dehydration would scare me. Lots of not great experiences in that thread.

I understand the mentality that you can't sit around waiting to die. But I would like to know that if something does happen, someone with reasonable medical knowledge will have some insight to keeping me alive until I could get to a real medical facility. And based on that other thread I have to say I wouldn't have confidence that would occur on board.

But then again, I am a worrier. :)

(Some content snipped)

I always assumed the doctor on board would at least be able to treat minor things but a doctor that can't even diagnose dehydration would scare me. Lots of not great experiences in that thread.

I understand the mentality that you can't sit around waiting to die. But I would like to know that if something does happen, someone with reasonable medical knowledge will have some insight to keeping me alive until I could get to a real medical facility. And based on that other thread I have to say I wouldn't have confidence that would occur on board.

But then again, I am a worrier. :)

Between us, DH and I have had occasion to visit a ship's doctor 4 times. I'm a retired nurse, so I do have some ability to judge the quality of care we have received and I have been entirely happy with both that and the medical facilities.

I wonder if the poster with medical knowledge, who alleges the doctor on board could not even diagnose dehydration, is a little biased by his experience? He had a complex medical history and the ship's doctor, apparently, did not speak English as her first language. It's possible that there was some miscommunication and she felt it safer "in an excess of caution" to refer him to an onshore medical facility.

Any first-year medical student, or nurse, can diagnose dehydration. There must have been something more to cause the transfer to a shore-side hospital.

I don't think you can be scared by a few stories of alleged incompetence. Consider the number of people the ship's doctor treats successfully. Would the cruise lines entrust the health of their crew to an incompetent?

I would not go on a cruise just to make myself happy if it caused my loved ones to worry or a spouse to spend most of the cruise taking care of me. There are too many places within driving distance that I have never seen. I don't want to be selfish.

I had my first medical emergency (hopefully my last) a few months ago. As a result, I'm looking at life a little differently now. I'm suddenly thinking more about contingencies. I will be researching international health benefits and travel interruption insurance plans. Contingency planning for a medical emergency is going to be added to my travel checklist, right along with hiring the pet-sitter and stopping the newspaper.

I liked PLK40atmc's response too. I think I'll feel exactly the same way when the chances of a forseeable health problem increase. If something is actually forseeable, I doubt anyone wants to risk having an emergency in a location without good medical care.

Archived