E cigarette

i have never understood what these darn things are- could someone tell me? I used to be a real cigarette smoker but have been quit now for 16 years. What do these e cigarettes do? Do they have real nicotine in them and if not, what is the purpose of them?

Its a electronic cigarette it just has the nicotine and instead of smoke its water vapor so no one will deal with smoke

Right, although it seems like it would be hard for someone who is using e-cigs as a way to quit smoking to be restricted to areas with smokers. Not being a smoker, I don't know if that is true or not. I was just responding to the OP's question about being able to use them places that cigarettes are not allowed. The basketball game was our first experience with an e-cig, and had we not been directly behind the guy, we probably wouldn't have even noticed.

I choose to abide by smokers rules by choice so as to not offend anyone. I,ve found it the best path to travel and not that much of an inconvenience.:)

i have never understood what these darn things are- could someone tell me? I used to be a real cigarette smoker but have been quit now for 16 years. What do these e cigarettes do? Do they have real nicotine in them and if not, what is the purpose of them?

Nicotine can be ordered with the flavor you like in different amounts all the way down to O. By going high to low you can wean yourself off nicotine without even knowing it.

:D I meant the cotton candy smell of the e-cig. I have no idea what the actual flavor/scent was, but the vapor smelled very sweet like cotton candy. My husband is not bothered by the smell of actual cotton candy, although it is by far his least favorite treat to give the kids. ;) In our case, we were in close proximity for an extended period of time, and being located a row above the "smoker" meant we received the brunt of anything he exhaled. I doubt my husband would care if someone in the cabin next to us used an e-cig, but it would affect him if someone at our table in the MDR used one (just as an example). It was the proximity and concentration that caused the problem for him.

then why if he has astma would he go and stand at the exit where people could smoke "real" cigs:confused:

I have just switched to the blu almost 2 weeks ago. I was smoking a pack a day and I really am having a positive experience with them so far. I got the blu as a stepping stone to quit smoking. They say a cartridge is the equivalent to a pack of cigarettes and my first cartridge took me 6 days to get through. My husband says I am not inhaling long enough on them to get a good hit and that's why they are lasting me so long but I am ok with that. I am now just taking an occasional hit when a craving comes along. My husband started the blu on Wednesday and is struggling a little more. He is using a cartridge a day. My only worries are the vapor is basically food grade antifreeze and I have no clue what the long term effects would be. Probably not as bad a smoking regular cigarettes.

then why if he has astma would he go and stand at the exit where people could smoke "real" cigs:confused:

Thanks for your concern. :rolleyes: We were in a basketball coliseum. The exit doors from the seating area do not lead outside - they lead to the concessions area, bathrooms, ticketing office, etc. There is no smoking in the building.

My husband has dealt with asthma his entire life. He is very proactive in removing himself from situations that would cause him harm and would not go stand in the smoking area - he is quite intelligent despite his lung issues - there is absolutely nothing wrong with his brain. It's so very thoughtful of you to be concerned with his choices, however.

And this apparently is why these threads get ugly.

Thanks for your concern. :rolleyes: We were in a basketball coliseum. The exit doors from the seating area do not lead outside - they lead to the concessions area, bathrooms, ticketing office, etc. There is no smoking in the building.

My husband has dealt with asthma his entire life. He is very proactive in removing himself from situations that would cause him harm and would not go stand in the smoking area - he is quite intelligent despite his lung issues - there is absolutely nothing wrong with his brain. It's so very thoughtful of you to be concerned with his choices, however.

And this apparently is why these threads get ugly.

You are so right. You were explaining very politely. The other poster should not have jumped on you.

My only worries are the vapor is basically food grade antifreeze and I have no clue what the long term effects would be. Probably not as bad a smoking regular cigarettes.

Actually, the chemical in antifreeze is ethylene glycol. PV's use propylene glycol, which is not only a completely different substance, but is commonly used in everything from toothpaste to deodorant to fondant to a wide variety of pharmaceuticals, and as a stabilizer in commercial baked goods.

You are so right. You were explaining very politely. The other poster should not have jumped on you.

Thank you for saying that. Although I am not a smoker, I am not against smoker's rights (or e-cig rights). I simply relayed our own experience with someone who is very sensitive to odors as much as to smoke - it was not my intention to offend at any time. I never said the guy smoking the e-cig did anything wrong or inconsiderate - I simply said it bothered my husband as any strong odor would and he removed himself from the area. Not sure how that makes him an idiot to someone else. :mad:

Thank you for saying that. Although I am not a smoker, I am not against smoker's rights (or e-cig rights). I simply relayed our own experience with someone who is very sensitive to odors as much as to smoke - it was not my intention to offend at any time. I never said the guy smoking the e-cig did anything wrong or inconsiderate - I simply said it bothered my husband as any strong odor would and he removed himself from the area. Not sure how that makes him an idiot to someone else. :mad:

There are also people who do not have asthma that have scent sensitivities. Certain odors can cause allergic type reactions. I am one of those ....certain perfumes / lotions /cigarette smoke. The other day I was in our lounge at work and one of my coworkers was smoking the e-cigarette. The sweet smelling odor really bothered me also. I too removed myself from the area. I applaud everyone for trying to quit and if this is what it takes just be aware that there are still people out there with sensitivity issues that it is going to bother. It is too bad people don't read posts throughly the first time through as I thought you explained the situation very well........the first time!!!!

Sue

All of them don't have nicotine either.

My daughter and son have already tapered off to the ones with just flavors. Neither can stand to be around nicotine or real smoke anymore, so they cannot go to the smoking areas to puff on their ecigs...the reason they quit smoking cigarettes in the first place was to get off the nicotine. Hopefully one day soon, they will just quit even the habit of having an ecig in hand. But until they do, I, for one, am extremely grateful for the invention of these things! And I wish everyone everywhere would just cut them some slack so they can detox from tobacco products.

My DH was a heavy smoker for 40+ years. He tried everything to help him stop, but nothing worked until the E-cigs. Now he's slowly cutting down on the percentage of nicotine in them.

When cruising, he does adhere to the rules for smokers, but tries to keep on the periphery of the smoking area, as he does not want to be exposed to other people's smoking. Even when smoking "real" cigarettes, he never smoked indoors.

I sometimes think that smoking is as much about having something to do with your hands and mouth as it is about the actual cigarette. The E-cigs certainly work for that.

I agree .... it's more habit than anything for me. I smoked for a long time and really don't know why I decided to try the e-cig ... I just did it and it worked! At first I had a pack of regular cigs on hand and did both ... after a few days I noticed it didn't like all that smoke around my face. By the time the last one was gone, I was smoking it with my daughter in law and said ... 'just so you know, I'm really not enjoying this in the least'!! lOL!! Since then I haven't had a real cigarette. I order the 'light' cartridges which isn't a lot of nicotine at all and alternate with the '0' nicotine cartridges. My doctor says it's no more harmful than drinking coffee. In response to your post, I never smoked in the house either and got so used to going outside when out, it didn't bother me and with smoking friends, I still go outside with them to smoke my e-cig. On board the first time after using the e-cig I still followed the rules and went to the smoking places, but yes, I stood farther away from where most of the smoke was too. I'm not one of those 'disgusting' x-smokers that puts everyone down, but I will admit, it's not a pleasant smell! LOL!! Some people will find fault with anything, so I follow the rules so as to not start any trouble. :)

The policy used to specifically state no eCigs. It looks like that has been removed.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=3101&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

I'd say smoke em. They're not harmful, in terms of second hand smoke, to others. If somebody does say something, just show them what it is.

Have a great cruise.

WOW - that is NEW! I was reading their smoking policy the other day and it mention ecigs and to use them only in smoking areas. Good news for me! BUT, I have got the stealth mode ecig smoking down to a science. People just think I have a pen fetish lol

This is the written policy from Princess:

Electronic Cigarettes
The use of electronic cigarettes is permitted in all areas onboard with the exception of dining areas and the Princess Theater. However, should a fellow passenger in the vicinity feel inconvenienced and complain, even after being told the difference between electronic cigarettes and real cigarettes, we will ask the passenger to refrain from smoking the electronic cigarette.

I learned about E-ciggs right here on the Royal boards almost four years ago. I havent had a cigarette in over three and a half years.
No one ever thought I could quit smoking including myself.
I am a member of the "National Vapers club" [NVC] that did a study called "Indoor Vapor Air Quality Study or IVAQS. The study found Zero toxins in the air.
Some juices do have a smell to them. My wife was vaping "french toast" and her co worker asked who was having pancakes LOL.
I have gone from 36% nic. to 8%nic. next is 6%.ect...
Meanwhile cruiselines and local goverment treat them as Tobacco products. I hope people learn more about them. There are many forums out there. Last time I posted links it was deleted on the CCl boards.

[quote name='NCCruisingmom']Thank you for saying that. Although I am not a smoker, I am not against smoker's rights (or e-cig rights). I simply relayed our own experience with someone who is very sensitive to odors as much as to smoke - it was not my intention to offend at any time. I never said the guy smoking the e-cig did anything wrong or inconsiderate - I simply said it bothered my husband as any strong odor would and he removed himself from the area.[/QUOTE]

Completely understand. I don’t mind the smell of cigarette, cigar or pipe smoke. The smell of heavy perfume or lotion doesn’t bother me either. But the smell of someone chewing cinnamon gum literally makes me gag. Only half joking – it would be a better world if chewing cinnamon gum was banned in public places. :o

[quote name='jreichow1972']My only worries are the vapor is basically food grade antifreeze and I have no clue what the long term effects would be. Probably not as bad a smoking regular cigarettes.[/quote]

It is not anti-freeze. :eek: Please refer to the links I and other have posted to get real information about what they are and what's inside.

This topic always gets strong pros & cons. Some people will never be convinced. All I can do is point you to the facts.

There are times I use cartridges that have 0 nicotine. I just like the flavor plus the action/pacifier of handling it.

Just an aside but before we switched DW was a 2-pack a day and I was a pack a day smoker. We estimate we have saved more than $20,000 in the three years since we switched. That's about seven cruises we otherwise would not have beenable to afford :)

[quote name='orville99']Just an aside but before we switched DW was a 2-pack a day and I was a pack a day smoker. We estimate we have saved more than $20,000 in the three years since we switched. That's about seven cruises we otherwise would not have beenable to afford :)[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking with the money we are going to save we can take two cruises a year too :D

Archived