Smaller versus Larger

asmody

My wife and I had our first Seabourn cruise 2 years ago on the Legend and we really enjoyed it, especially since it only had 200 passengers. In August we're taking a 10 day cruise in the Med on Quest. Although it has 450 passengers, we're a bit apprehensive about sailing on the larger sized ship, although it's still much smaller than the larger cruise ships. We were wondering if anyone would care to share their thoughts and experiences on being on both the smaller and larger ships, and if they thought the overall experience and standard of service were the same. I notice that the Quest can't dock at many ports due to its size, so we'll be taking the tender, whereas on the Legend cruise we walked off the ship in most of the ports.

My wife and I had our first Seabourn cruise 2 years ago on the Legend and we really enjoyed it, especially since it only had 200 passengers. In August we're taking a 10 day cruise in the Med on Quest. Although it has 450 passengers, we're a bit apprehensive about sailing on the larger sized ship, although it's still much smaller than the larger cruise ships. We were wondering if anyone would care to share their thoughts and experiences on being on both the smaller and larger ships, and if they thought the overall experience and standard of service were the same. I notice that the Quest can't dock at many ports due to its size, so we'll be taking the tender, whereas on the Legend cruise we walked off the ship in most of the ports.

Personally, I prefer the larger ships:

- better choice of restaurants and bars

- more public space

- two pool areas

- Seabourn Square

- a proper verandah

- better gym

I prefer the smaller:

better suite layout

better seating arrangement in both the Club and show lounge

better choice of semi-private tables for two in the Restaurant

more interaction with the key crew members and officers

ease of getting to know our fellow passengers

But there are a few things I do like about the big ships:

Seabourn Square provides a nice place to hang out on sea days when the weather is less than perfect( the coffee bar is also a big plus)

the pool is more centrally located and more inviting

the fixed Sky Grill is a nice bonus

the Colonnade hold more people and so it is easier to find a table for breakfast

We had already booked a Quest cruise for this fall (prior to the announcement of the little sisters) because there was a itinerary not available on the little ones. After that we will squeeze in as many small ship cruises as possible until they are gone .

I agree there is something special about the small ships and will miss them when they go. Hence why we have three cruises booked with them over the next 18 months.

However I have to say after our first sailing on a big ship in February one thing that was amazingly consistent between big and small ships was the staff congeniality. When I first got on I wondered if it was going to be a lot more impersonal but by day three the kindness and using our names to say hello was well underway. The crew on that Odyssey sailing were truly lovely people.

So even though I will miss the small ships I will be very grateful to be able to sail on the big ships as well.

Julie

We too have always loved the small ships. Now that the 3 are sold and we are losing them, I have begun to try to appreciate the many advantages of the new larger ships. On our last trip on the Sojourn we found the same warmth and special service that was common to the small ships. In short, we are thankful for the continued existence of the "Seabourn Experience" and look forward to future cruises. Enjoy the Quest! Maxine

Yes, in spite of my trepidation when we tried our first big ship ( OMG -- when our taxi pulled up to the Quest ship my husband and I turned to each other and said this may have been a big mistake!)once on board we were quite surprised at how the architects broke up the space to keep it from feeling like a larger ship. And we also found the service every bit as good as on the small ones -- ditto for the food. But even with that the level of intimacy that small ships provide was lacking. And because the were many more passengers the odds of running into people again was diminished so we did not develop as many friendships with our fellow passengers.So we will take advantage of the small ships before they sail into the sunset and know that we will manage with the bigger ones in the future feeling grateful to have enjoyed the little ones for over a decade.

We have sailed the Odyssey and the Legend and preferred the larger ship. It still feels intimate and there is plenty of opportunity to meet other guests.....we found it to be especially easy in the Observation Bar prior to dinner and on excursions. The Colonnade is far less hectic than the Veranda cafe. And we could always find a table for 4 in order to lunch with friends. Not always so on the Legend. We loved Seabourn Square and taking our early morning cappuccino out on deck. In general, we found the extra space created a more relaxing atmosphere. We are booked on the Quest in November and looking forward to another splendid cruise.

We too have always loved the small ships. Now that the 3 are sold and we are losing them, I have begun to try to appreciate the many advantages of the new larger ships. On our last trip on the Sojourn we found the same warmth and special service that was common to the small ships. In short, we are thankful for the continued existence of the "Seabourn Experience" and look forward to future cruises. Enjoy the Quest! Maxine

Maxine!! Esteemed member of the prize-winning (albeit 2nd) "Internationals" Trivia Team. Hope you & Dave are well, Pam & Steve.

The bigger ships are better is you like:

• more diverse fellow cruisers
  • more fellow cruisers from which to choose (450 vs 200)
  • more contemporary furnishings
  • more dining and bar options
  • more and larger public space options
  • larger verandahs
  • larger gym - more equipment
  • younger feel - in furnishings, passengers
  • newer passengers (the smaller triplets tend to attract passengers who have been sailing on them for a loooooooooooooong time

If you feel the need to be called by your your surname ALL the time, no matter where or by who, and need to feel important, then go on the smaller ship. If you like yourself and don't have a need to feel self-important, then the larger ships are a nice refreshing change. The smaller ships are old, and just feel old -- IMHO.

To me, post no. 3 (Chairsin) summarises the differences and which aspects are better on the two sizes perfectly.

We do like a public room with a nice 'feel', which is why we prefer the smaller Club, dining room and observation lounge and main lounge on the small ships to the larger ones. However, the Colonnade is 100% better than the crowded (at times) and clattery veranda cafe on the small ships.

The Square is very good on the large ships, but most people think the Grand Salon/theatre is a disaster - poor sight lines, very unsociable and generally unattractive as compared with the very nice little lounges on the small ships. Certainly also the patio grill and bar area, giving much more scope for eating in different venues on the large ships also appeals to us. So to us it is 50/50 at present - but soon no choice at all.

The bigger ships are also better if you like children onboard. Much greater likelihood in the summer and during holidays.

I respectfully disagree. Itinerary is probably more determinative of whether children will be on board. On our South America trip on Sojourn, no kids. On Med cruises, small ships, kids. Since there are no more activities on larger ships for kids than on the smaller ships, I wouldn't think size factors in whether kids are on board.

I respectfully disagree. Itinerary is probably more determinative of whether children will be on board. On our South America trip on Sojourn, no kids. On Med cruises, small ships, kids. Since there are no more activities on larger ships for kids than on the smaller ships, I wouldn't think size factors in whether kids are on board.

Duration also seems to correlate with child spotting.

To Laylam: Hello Pam. So great to hear from you. That Trivia Team sure was the best. I think of that experience every time I put my sunglasses in or out of that neat leather case. Dave and I are fine (even though I'm now dealing with a reocurance of the BIG C) but I'm not letting it get in the way of our travels. Hope to see you and Steve sometime soon on another voyage. Maxine

Archived