Cinque Terre - for a few days

2specialkidsforme

I stayed in Vernazza for a few days with 2 friends. the apartment we had was on the main walkway, across from the produce shop. My friends got it, so I can't help with the name. All I remember is the owner of the apartment also owns the Vulnetia restaurant there.

Vernazza was very mellow to stay in. We'd do dinner out, and grab a bottle of wine and spend time out on the harbor breakwater. Very relaxing, especially after doing the hike between all 5 villages one day!!!

The whole point of staying in CT overnight is to be there overnight to enjoy the setting, not in a neighbouring large town. We stayed in Vernazza. We had the Rick Steves guide, but we were there in October so took a chance. We parked at the top of the town and walked down to the first cafe/restaurant (Il Pirata) and asked there about rooms. The proprietor had none left himself and at first said to just walk into the village and look for signs, but then a friend came by who had rooms and we followed her down into the village. The room was above the main street with a great view of the street.

All this was just a couple weeks before the devastating floods of 2011, but Il Pirata is back up and running.

If I were going again (and would love to!) I'd think about staying in Corniglia because it gets fewer tourists. We had a wonderful lunch there on our first trip.

Those guys at Il Pirata are hilarious. Some call them annoying, but you have to take their enthusiasm with just how happy they are to serve people. Their pastries in the morning are yummy! Glad that they got the restaurant up and running again.

OP: if no one gives you a specific flat rental, hit several of the rental websites and cruise through them until one "hits" with you. Be aware that elevators are basically no-existent there and you will be lugging your luggage up streets ans stairs...

I have been looking to do the same thing! I wanted to go in late Aug. but have not been able to get it lined up. Enjoy yourself if you go, it is heaven there!

I was on the NCL Epic May 8-15th and did the Cinque Terre excursion. I loved it and want to go back! I would like to go to Rome for a few days and then cinque Terre for a few days.

Where have you stayed? Would you recommend for a solo traveler?

Archived