Ongoing Protests in Istanbul

Read this article onlie today on The Wall Street Journal. Are ships still stopping in Istanbul? We have a cruise in Sept that stops there and are wondering what is going to happen.

"ISTANBUL—Turkey is bracing for a second day of protests after Friday clashes between police and demonstrators left dozens of people injured in Istanbul and spurred demonstrations across the country. Police units have been drafted in from other provinces, parts of Istanbul are cordoned off and traffic is stationary. Early Saturday, thousands of people could be seen walking across Istanbul's Bosporus bridge toward Taksim Square, Friday's main protest site. After four days of increasingly heavy-handed attempts to shut it down, a small demonstration against the bulldozing of a downtown park developed into a broader protest against the government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan".

This is a purely local issue and local protest -- not targeting tourists.

Ships do not appear to be cancelling Istanbul as a stop if that is what you are asking. In a situation like this, they would probably not decide until pretty close to the port stop if they had to cancel, as cancelling a port is an unhappy event -- people have made plans, hired guides, etc. And often the ship can't easily find a replacement port.

Also, Taksim Square is not an area where tourists would need to go. The main area of Istanbul that tourists visit is Sultanahmet, on the other side of Galata Bridge.

If you are asking about a specific cruiseline and a specific upcoming cruise within the next few days, it's probably best to ask them directly.

Like Athens for the last couple of years, strikes and demonstrations do occur sporadically in many cities and most do NOT pose a danger to tourists, although perhaps an inconvenience.

Just checked the Istanbul City cams & things appear to be calm. It looks like a HAL ship is docked at the far end of the pier from the view at the Galata tower. The camera for Taskim square appears to have been turned off. (It Won't load).

I am in Istanbul right now and the protests are right outside the hotel where we are (Ritz Carlton). We have been unable to get out and about for 2 nights because of the protesters. We have been on tours during the day and the tour guides where constantly monitoring the situation. There were several people who were affected by the tear gas; several from our hotel. We were not allowed to leave by the front entrance because of the concentration of tear gas in that area.

We were in the Old Town today and there were several large cruise ships in port. Nothing down there is affected at all.

I know, but my question is: "are ships still stopping there"? meaning now that this is going on.

Ships are still stopping there and no stops have been placed on travel to Turkey. The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office have advised against going directly to the areas where the protests are taking place, but only because tear gas and water cannons are being used against protesters had they don't want tourists getting caught up in it. In reality though, with you going in September, what's happening now is irrelevant as matters like this change on a daily basis.

I just hope that it becomes a peaceful protests again (as it started out as) and that no-one gets hurt.

I am in Istanbul right now and the protests are right outside the hotel where we are (Ritz Carlton). We have been unable to get out and about for 2 nights because of the protesters. We have been on tours during the day and the tour guides where constantly monitoring the situation. There were several people who were affected by the tear gas; several from our hotel. We were not allowed to leave by the front entrance because of the concentration of tear gas in that area.

We were in the Old Town today and there were several large cruise ships in port. Nothing down there is affected at all.

I hope that you are still able to feel safe and that this doesn't ruin your time or memories of Turkey and Istanbul.

I know, but my question is: "are ships still stopping there"? meaning now that this is going on.

The article you quote makes it sound like a recent problem. It is too soon for line to start canceling calls.

As pointed out the area where the protests are taking place is not an area where cruise passengers would migrate to. Check out the Istanbul City Cams & you will find that life seems to be going on as just another day for most of the Turks.

I hope that you are still able to feel safe and that this doesn't ruin your time or memories of Turkey and Istanbul.

Thank you, we are having a great time in spite of what is going on around us. Last night the protesters gather all the police barricades, piled them up, put debris in them and set them on fire. They also ripped down a bunch of the billboard signs and added that to the fire. The sanitation workers are cleaning up the mess this morning.

We are going to venture out on our own this morning in hopes that all the rioting is gone. It is Sunday and a lot of things are closed today, so we will just walk around.

Just got back from a whole day of site seeing. Several large cruise ships near Galata Bridge and HAL's Neu Amsterdam in,, too. There were people who had gathered near the end of the bridge and were walking toward Galata Tower, but not sure what they were doing or exactly where they were headed. They had gas masks and were chanting. Maybe they were headed to Taksim Square........there is still a huge gathering of protesters there.

We were going to take the HoHo bus but we were informed that we were not allowed to hop off, only ride the full circuit. We asked for a price reduction sine the whole purpose of the bus IS to get on and off, but we were told no. So,, we didn't ride, just walked instead.

We are scheduled to be in Istanbul and Ephesus in 6 weeks. I sure hope things calm down by then. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. I wonder if the cruise lines do end up needing to make adjustments to the ports of call, what other ports those might be...

We were in Istanbul last year at this time on the Celebrity Equinox. Had one and a half fascinating days there. Interestingly, when we had some extra time on our first day, our tour guide chose to take us up to Ikstiklal Street (boulevard?) so that we could see where local folks and teens (we had our two teens with us) would go shopping. We walked all the way to Taksim Square so we have vivid memories of the area.

I have just tried to view some webcams from Istanbul on a site I googled with a weird name: Bigloveturkey. Just as I had seen posted by someone on Facebook yesterday, the government is clearly blocking webcams from Taksim Square and Iksiklal. The webcams from Kadikoy and Sultahnamet are streaming just fine. Makes me appreciate my own country, even with its many flaws.

I am hopeful for all of you visiting there soon that the ships will continue to dock and that you will get to see the sights. But I would not go anywhere near Taksim Square or surrounding areas.

The situation in Istanbul is going on right now because of a park that is to be turned into a mall/shopping center. We left the Ritz at 7am this morning. There was rioting all night long. The streets were full of rubble and many were blocked.

The police were shooting "something" from their guns.....? Tear gas? Or just smoke bombs, I don't know. Our driver had to move some of the rocks out of the street so that he could get through.

This will all be over soon. Maybe even today or tomorrow.

The situation in Istanbul is going on right now because of a park that is to be turned into a mall/shopping center. We left the Ritz at 7am this morning. There was rioting all night long. The streets were full of rubble and many were blocked.

The police were shooting "something" from their guns.....? Tear gas? Or just smoke bombs, I don't know. Our driver had to move some of the rocks out of the street so that he could get through.

This will all be over soon. Maybe even today or tomorrow.

The protests and demonstrations in Istanbul which have spread throughout the country are not because of the plan to turn Gezi Park into a shopping centre. That, and the brutal response of the police, was merely the spark for protests by many Turks throughout the country against the government's increasingly authoritarian and dictatorial measures. This article may explain some of the background to the protests.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/03/taksim-square-istanbul-turkey-protest

I don't know how anyone can say "This will all be over soon. Maybe even today or tomorrow" except perhaps wishful thinking government propagandists --"Nothing to see here folks, just move along". Who knows at this point what will happen?

Laverendrye, I was only reiterating what our tour guide told us. I was in no way "predicting" what was going to happen :eek:

Thank you so much for your updates. They are quite helpful. If you are able...keep them coming.

I will be traveling to Istanbul in 6 weeks. Happy that you are able to take in the sites.

Our family will be travelling to Istanbul this summer as well, and I am monitoring the situation. CNN news reports that 2 people have been killed and over three thousand people have been injured! Apparently, the unions have started to demonstrate and will throw their support behind the original group by going on strike today and tomorrow. They are protesting against the "facism" of the government. There is the definite possibility that this might escalate.......Our prayers are with the deceased protestors' families and those that have been injured. Peace.