Nail polish & sunscreen question

dso I got my nails done on Saturday and used sunscreen on Sunday. Afterwards my polish got really dull and it looks like I got them done and stuck them right in my pockets.

Is there something in sunscreen that ruins a polish job? I dont get my nails done often but got a gift cert from my husband for mom's day and now have a full set. before this I havent had my nails done since my wedding. I would get a pedicure every week if I could but nails are really my thing. But since I do have them now I want to keep them nice. That being said, I dont want to come back like a lobster next month because im scared to mess up my nails.

I find that a lot of sunscreens leave a film on my skin that's hard to wash off. It could be that it soaked into your polish and is leaving the same sort of film on them. You could try gently scrubbing them with an exfoliating sponge...if that doesn't work I'd go out and buy a cheap bottle of shiny top coat and brush on a thin coat.

Hope this helps! :)

Did you use the spray sunscreen? There's some kind of alcohol on that which could affect your nail polish. On one of our cruises one of the kids got a temporary tattoo & that spray sunscreen pretty much took it right off.

Get some clear polish, and put the "shine" back on them yourself! It's not hard. Get the "quick dry" kind....it does dry faster!

Or, have your hubby apply all your sunscreen all the time! Or, don't go in the sun!

You could try gently scrubbing them with an exfoliating sponge
I wouldn't do that - that will take off the film and the polish.:eek:

I usually curl my fingers into claws and tuck my nails under when I use spray sunscreen anywhere near my fingers. :p I don't use the lotion anymore, but as goofy as it sounds, I'd take a few pairs of disposable surgical gloves and use them to apply sunscreen before I left my room.

There are chemicals in sun cream that will break down polish, also other products like bug spray, so it is always best to try and wash your hands if anything comes into contact with your polish.

Even Shellac can, in some cases, start to break down if it comes into contact with enough of these products and also in swimming pools if you spend enough time in there. Always wash your hands when you come out if you can.

I recently read a magazine article about this subject. It is really important to use a cuticle oil every day, such as Solar Oil, on and around your nails. But when going into the sun or the water, they suggested applying Vaseline (the thick goopy stuff, not the lotion) all over the nails and cuticles to protect from the sunscreen, salt and sand. My cruise isn't until after Thanksgiving (:() but I plan on doing this. It is inexpensive and worth a try.

Archived