Best Night's Sleep

mabones

My DH & I celebrated our 35th Wedding Anniversary in the Haven on the Epic this past April. I have never been in such a more comfortable bed than the one in the Suite. Does anyone know where they get these &/or who the Manufacturer is?

Before you run out and buy a bed, keep in mind that a few other factors figure into such great sleep at sea. Some of these help some people, some have no impact, or even negative impact.

* Gentle motion of the ship

* Possible Ocean Breeze

* Excitement of being out to sea

* Bed is just better than the one at home

* Long Day and "ready" to sleep

* Different sheets, covers than normal

* Late Meal

* Drinks?

* Seasick meds (that one helps me sleep really good)

* Overall calmness

Not saying the beds are good or bad, but it is not going to be the same when you get it home.

I also got an amazing night's sleep when I was on the Breakaway. It was strange considering I'm a horribly light sleeper. But I do agree with the above poster - I'm not sure if it was solely the bed.

For me I think it was:

The gentle rocking motion played a role.

The cool temperature of the room made it comfy.

The fact I was on vacation, and felt stress free (I slept better as the days went by)

I tried to take these idea's into consideration, but I can't pinpoint it. My body didn't ache when I woke up. My DH also said he couldn't believe how comfortable this bed was. I know they use speciality linens & such. I'd bet that they may have mattresses made specifically for the Suites. It's not like its the 1st cruise we have been on. I remember very uncomfortable beds on a few past cruises.

We had the same experience recently on the Gem. Average of 10 hours a night - unheard of! We put it down to:

- extremely comfortable bed

- high quality linen

- pitch dark room, thanks to blackout curtains

- the silence (we were in a forward room, so nobody was passing our door)

- the sea air

- the G&Ts!

But I agree - the comfort of the bed made us realise how UNcomfortable our own is by comparison. Will be interested to see if anyone knows what beds NCL use as we'd definitely consider them!

IIRC, the subject has been broached many times on these boards and it has been determined that the beds are by a German manufacturer and not available to the public.

This made me sad until we bought our own awesome mattress set last year. Now I think my bed at home is even better than those on NCL. :)

We contribute the best sleep concept to the sea air and the slight rock of the ship. I actually miss the slight rock when I get back home. :cool:

Strangely enough, I felt "a rocking motion" at home for a few days after my last cruise.

From a previous thread.

The mattresses are manufactured by Breckle, a German firm, designed to NCL's specs, but it's called "Cruiser Special." Poster suspected that the mattresses were not distributed outside of Europe.

Before you run out and buy a bed, keep in mind that a few other factors figure into such great sleep at sea. Some of these help some people, some have no impact, or even negative impact.

A friend who buys very high thread count sheets convinced me that things like this make a BIG difference in the sleep you get.

DML

Do not know about the breakaway mattresses but the other ships mattresses came from an Italian manufacturer. The mattresses are called Mattermoll. Lst November on the Pearl the mattresses were being replaced and ours were brand new. I looked again and indeed they were Mattermoll.

coka

We slept on the best mattress ever in a hotel in Florida. Naturally we went home and found the manufacturer to get the mattress. We found the mattress and we could order it online but low and behold we researched and found other names of the mattress. I am willing to bet there may be a US version of your favorite ship mattress. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, since we found our perfect mattress. BTW our mattress on the Pearl was top notch and included a topper. Just shows they do read your pre-boarding requests.:D

Archived