Illegal or Not??

shanecindy21403

Thanks to BettyCruiser and Pam in CA I've figured out after reading up online my cruise plans are illegal:(. Maybe Princess needs to have customer service read up on it too! My original plans were 5/2/15 - Golden 7 day Coastal LA to Vancouver, 5/9/15 - Golden 1 day REPO Vancouver to Seattle. I've got these 2 portions already booked directly with Princess. I then planned to follow that up with a 7 day Alaska R/T Seattle, I don't have this booked yet because those itineraries are not available yet. But even the agent for Princess said if they are moving the ship down to Seattle it's going to go on a Alaska cruise next. I just talked to Princess earlier today and they are still saying it's legal. I don't know what book they are reading lol.

My question is on the 7 day Coastal can I get off the ship a day early at our stop in Victoria then go up to Vancouver to catch the ship the next day so the next 2 portions would be legal. :confused:

Thanks to BettyCruiser and Pam in CA I've figured out after reading up online my cruise plans are illegal:(. Maybe Princess needs to have customer service read up on it too! My original plans were 5/2/15 - Golden 7 day Coastal LA to Vancouver, 5/9/15 - Golden 1 day REPO Vancouver to Seattle. I've got these 2 portions already booked directly with Princess. I then planned to follow that up with a 7 day Alaska R/T Seattle, I don't have this booked yet because those itineraries are not available yet. But even the agent for Princess said if they are moving the ship down to Seattle it's going to go on a Alaska cruise next. I just talked to Princess earlier today and they are still saying it's legal. I don't know what book they are reading lol.

My question is on the 7 day Coastal can I get off the ship a day early at our stop in Victoria then go up to Vancouver to catch the ship the next day so the next 2 portions would be legal. :confused:

Ouch. OK. The bottom line is that if you board the Golden on 5/2 in LA and disembark in Seattle on 5/10, that is illegal no matter what the Princess rep tells you. At some point, someone at Princess will figure this out and cancel your 1-day repo. I'm not a lawyer so I can't answer whether it would be legal to circumvent the law by disembarking in Victoria (if you receive prior permission, which you'll need) and spending a day in Vancouver. I suspect you can't because the ship is intended to go to Vancouver and then Seattle. I wouldn't take the chance that even if Princess approves this, they won't at some point wake up and take a closer look.

Instead of doing the Victoria option, why not just disembark in Vancouver, take transport to Seattle, stay over there and re-board. Even though not official, there's a decent likelyhood you could get the same cabin with no one in it in between and work with the steward to leave stuff on board in a suitcase or something.

I was going to suggest also to take the Princess transfer from Vancouver to Seattle and enjoy a day in Seattle. Skip the one day coastal. Then start the next cruise the next day. We have done the transfer from Vancouver to Seattle and it was not a bad drive. Or enjoy part of the day in Vancouver and take the Amtrak train to Seattle. We did the one day coastal from Seattle to Vancouver. We spent the night in Vancouver and then took another ship for a 3 day coastal south. Good luck planning your trip.

The stumbling block in your plan is the same ship will take you from one US port to another without the necessary call at a distant foreign port. While it is possible Princess may not catch it, you will be the one with the inconvenience somewhere in your itinerary. I think the other posters have some good work-arounds.

I agree with the others, it isn't legal.

Do the repo LA to Vancouver. Get off the ship and travel to Seattle and catch the ship the next day for Alaska.

Next year we looked at a repo from LA to Vancouver, then Alaska staying on the same ship and ending in Seattle. NCL has it clearly posted on their site that NO back to backs will be allowed for the repo cruise. Of course, now I can't find the reference to show you.

Here's what we did:

Booked the Repo from LA to Vancouver on the NCL Pearl.

Stay overnight in Vancouver

The next morning will board the Star Princess to repo from Vancouver to San Francisco.

Some on our Pearl roll call are getting off the Pearl in Vancouver AND reboarding another ship to cruise Alaska.

Archived