Passport needed for Bermuda cruise?

Kikimeister

No you don't "have" to have a passport. Celebrity outlines on their website what alternative forms of ID you can bring (i.e. birth certificate, etc.)

I cruised several times before finally getting a passport.

You used to be able to go to Canada and Mexico and return without a passport too, but that is no longer the case. I'm pretty sure you also use to be able to go to the Caribbean (Maybe Bermuda also) without a passport on cruise ships... or something like that. What ever the specifics were (I really don't know) they were exceptions, but those exceptions are no longer.

Anyone entering the US needs a passport. Entrance into other countries are per their requirement but if you want to come home you will need one.

It is not true that "anyone entering the US needs a passport"

There is a regulation that passengers on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean do not need a passport. Closed loop meaning that you begin and end in the same port.

Cruise ship regulations are different than the rules for airline passengers, and even for automobile traffic.

To repeat the strong suggestion made by experienced cruisers, should you chose to travel on your closed-loop cruise without a passport, and should some misfortune befall you so that you need to fly home, you will find out the hard way why you should have gotten the passport in the first place. Do hundreds of passengers each year choose not to get a passport for their Caribbean cruises? Yes. Do some of them have difficulty getting back to the States by air? Yes. YMMV

"All persons travelling between the United States and Bermuda are required to present a passport to enter Bermuda or re-enter the United States."

via: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1067.html

Here is another link.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

If you read the FAQ on Celebrity's website it also addresses what is required. It seems as if requirements are changing daily because of security issues.

There are a lot of other good reasons to have a pass port.

Closed loop cruises often (as in the case of the Summit to Bermuda) will accept birth certificate and official photo ID, such as a drivers license.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/1139

Of course, passports are always good to have, but there are circumstances, such as a "closed loop cruise to Bermuda" that do not require one.

*Edited to add that a closed loop cruise to Bermuda does not require a passport. The link I posted does recommend checking with the cruise line as far as ports visited on the closed loop cruise. I am merely posting for the benefit of the original question of Summit to Bermuda, since I was there last week, travling with someone who did not have a passport.

Archived