Passport needed for Bermuda cruise?

Kikimeister

Does anyone know if you need a passport for the celebrity summit cruise out of NJ to Bermuda and back to NJ? We are both US citizens if that helps. I have a current one but my fiance has been stalling on getting a new one...

Trying to figure out if He needs to do the expedited shipping or whatever for a new passport.

Does anyone know if you need a passport for the celebrity summit cruise out of NJ to Bermuda and back to NJ? We are both US citizens if that helps. I have a current one but my fiance has been stalling on getting a new one...

Trying to figure out if He needs to do the expedited shipping or whatever for a new passport.

Yes you need a passport.

No you don't "have" to have a passport. Celebrity outlines on their website what alternative forms of ID you can bring (i.e. birth certificate, etc.)

I cruised several times before finally getting a passport.

Has this recently changed. I thought a birth certificate and a goverment issue picture ID would be permissible.

It is always better to have your passport. The requirements for docimentation changed 3-4 years ago with US citizens not being able to enter Canada or Mexico without a passport. When we went ot Bermuda out of Bayonne we did have passports. The best way to determine what is needed is to check out the website for the US Immigration Service.

Yes you need a passport.

Your information is totally wrong. If the cruise is closed loop, like the one the OP is asking about, no passport is needed or required. A closed loop cruise is one that starts and ends in the same US port. The OP's cruise starts and ends in NJ, so no passport is required, but it is recommended.

My boyfriend used his birth certificate and photo ID on our Summit cruise to Bermuda last week. He had no problem. Same port, ship and ID last year, no issues then either.

I have a passport and used it at embarkation and debarkation only. I showed my drivers license to the Bermuda officials in port when getting back on the ship.

"All persons travelling between the United States and Bermuda are required to present a passport to enter Bermuda or re-enter the United States."

via: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1067.html

This is for AIR travel and not cruise ship travel. I just did a cruise to Bermuda and saw many passengers with only birth certificates and photo ID. Neither of my cousins had passports and they had no problem on their cruise to Bermuda.

Yes you need a passport.

Why would you post as fact something that is blatantly incorrect? At a minimum a simple "I think" would be appropriate. Better yet, not posting on things you're not sure of would be the best way to handle.

Your information is totally wrong. If the cruise is closed loop, like the one the OP is asking about, no passport is needed or required. A closed loop cruise is one that starts and ends in the same US port. The OP's cruise starts and ends in NJ, so no passport is required, but it is recommended.

This is a great answer because as usual things are always shades of gray and not always black and white. Since it's a closed loop cruise, the birth certificate and photo ID are sufficient, BUT, if something happens to the ship and you need to fly home......you will not be allowed back into the country without a passport. This is the reason why it's recommended. It's just like travel insurance, many people could care less about it and they roll the dice, then something happens and they kick themselves for not buying it. Give yourself piece of mind and spend the money and get yourself a passport. It's good for 10 years and if you decide to fly internationally, you're covered.

This is for AIR travel and not cruise ship travel. I just did a cruise to Bermuda and saw many passengers with only birth certificates and photo ID. Neither of my cousins had passports and they had no problem on their cruise to Bermuda.

Right, because ships never get disabled or anything that would require air travel from a foreign destination. /s

My boyfriend used his birth certificate and photo ID on our Summit cruise to Bermuda last week. He had no problem. Same port, ship and ID last year, no issues then either.

I have a passport and used it at embarkation and debarkation only. I showed my drivers license to the Bermuda officials in port when getting back on the ship.

Do you know if he took his actual BC or a certified copy?

Do you know if he took his actual BC or a certified copy?

It was a certified copy that we ordered through the mail last year. Funny enough, when we went through Customs on the way back in, he gave the agent his ID, but he was fumbling around for his certificate and they just waved him in. Never even looked at it. :)

It was a certified copy that we ordered through the mail last year.

Ok cool! We have a certified copy from when we had to get our marriage license 2 months ago, so he can use that if he doesn't get his passport in on time. Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who replied... I have a better idea now of what is required to board and what might be smart to have on hand just in case. ;)

I just didn't want to badger him to get his passport quickly and then run the chance of him not needing it after all. But I want him to get his passport period, so back to the badgering.

You don't have to have a passport but if you became ill and had to fly home you would require a passport.

Keith

Again, not true. The United States will not deny entry to a US citizen that has experienced travel difficulties because they do not have a passport. Ask all the passengers on the Grandeur that didn't have one. It requires additional hassle and paperwork, but you will not be denied entry.

Why would you post as fact something that is blatantly incorrect? At a minimum a simple "I think" would be appropriate. Better yet, not posting on things you're not sure of would be the best way to handle.

Wait a minute . . . It was on the interweb so it has to be true! ;)

Again, not true. The United States will not deny entry to a US citizen that has experienced travel difficulties because they do not have a passport. Ask all the passengers on the Grandeur that didn't have one. It requires additional hassle and paperwork, but you will not be denied entry.

Again, we have some disinformation so lets clear the air. In the case of the Grandeur the cruise line (RCI) sought and received a State Department waiver to get their passengers back home. However, this does not mean that if you need to fly-home you can get a similar waiver. In fact, in most cases, if you need to fly home from an intervening country (such as from Bermuda, St Maarten, etc) you will be required to stay on that island (at your own expense) until you can arrange to obtain a passport. Even in an emergency this process can take several days. Without the Passport you would not even get passed the check-in counter at the local airport.

Hank

The problem a US citizen would have is that the airlines won't let you board the plane without a passport. There was special paperwork obtained for the Grandeur passengers to take charter flights. That won't be the case if you have to fly back early or miss the ship.

Archived