Live from Alaska Celebrity Solstice 6/7/13 cruise...hopefully

H2OH!

H2OH,

Glad to hear your vacation is underway! We don't leave until after I get off work this afternoon. Not sure if we corresponded on the boards previously, but we are from the Chicagoland area as well. Lake in the Hills in the northwest suburbs to be exact. Where are you from? Have a great flight!

H2OH,

Glad to hear your vacation is underway! We don't leave until after I get off work this afternoon. Not sure if we corresponded on the boards previously, but we are from the Chicagoland area as well. Lake in the Hills in the northwest suburbs to be exact. Where are you from? Have a great flight!

We did chat about shopping at Woodman's...lol. We live in east/west dundee/sleepy hollow area. Safe travels see you soon!!

Loved your Mt. Ranier picture from the Space Needle!!! We were on the 05-17-13 sailing of the Solstice. We, too, went to Seattle a day early. We did not have as clear a day as you did. Thus, Mt. Ranier was not visible (either before the cruise; nor, when we returned at the end of the cruise). Thanks for sharing what we did not get to see! :) Have a wonderful time! Bistro on 5 is a great place to eat lunch tomorrow after you board the ship. $5/pp charge but so much more relaxing then the Ocean View Cafe on boarding day!

Thanks for your report. Your pictures are great, especially the pic of Mt. Ranier!

We are staying in the Homewood Suites in September. It does look a bit run down but it is supposed to be in a really great location. I remember reading that the walk to Pike Place Market is one way uphill.

We are planning to go to the Space Needle as well, but I was thinking we would take the monorail instead of a cab. I had read this was pretty easy to do.

Thanks for the information about the Metropolitan Grille. I'm going to look into going there.

We will be staying in Seattle for 2 nights before our Pacific Coastal cruise.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for your report. Your pictures are great, especially the pic of Mt. Ranier!

We are staying in the Homewood Suites in September. It does look a bit run down but it is supposed to be in a really great location. I remember reading that the walk to Pike Place Market is one way uphill.

We are planning to go to the Space Needle as well, but I was thinking we would take the monorail instead of a cab. I had read this was pretty easy to do.

Thanks for the information about the Metropolitan Grille. I'm going to look into going there.

We will be staying in Seattle for 2 nights before our Pacific Coastal cruise.

Have a great cruise!

Actually after walking around today the grade heading up hill back to hotel on Pike is not too bad. The hotel is growing on me after walking around today. more on that later. Metropolitan grill is pricey but sooo good...we love Ruth Chris and think it is better!

6/6/13 today we woke up and took our time getting ready. We went downstairs for a little breakfast to fuel up before walking to Pike’s Market. They had the usual free breakfast foods…eggs, hash, sausages, oatmeal, yogurt, bagels etc. We had a really lite breakfast since we were going to sample different foods at the market. We stepped out of our hotel , took a left and had a nice leisurely walk to the market which took about 20 minutes which included a stop at Walgreens (forgot toothbrush so had to use a hotel toothbrush). Again the weather was perfect!! Sunny and slowly warming up all morning as we strolled the market and waterfront.

We arrived at the market around 10:00. We grabbed a map at the information booth right outside the market. We entered the main area off of Pike’s Market and in 15 minutes we had checked off several of our “must do” items. We saw Rachel the pig, the fish tossing and ate several of the small donuts at the Daily Dozen Doughnut Company. The fish tossing was nice to see given its legacy. What a fun lively group. We then wandered over for the famous little donuts. A small line had already formed but only had to wait 5 minutes or so. We bought a ½ dozen-3 cinnamon and 3 powdered. The powdered donuts we not warm and were just ok. The cinnamon doughnuts were still warm and were much better, then again, any doughnut eaten warm is fabulous. They were good nothing super special.

IMG_0422_zps366b91e0.jpg

H2OH We were just in Seattle over Memorial Day weekend --- love that place.

Question for you, how do you attach your pictures to your review so they are full size and not thumbnail size?

H2OH,

Your review is off to a great start. We have sailed in Alaska twice on two other cruise lines, but haven't tried Celebrity yet.

We are thinking about a Celebrity cruise next year, so I'm looking forward to reading about your cruise.

Cruising is a great way to explore the world!

H2OH We were just in Seattle over Memorial Day weekend --- love that place.

Question for you, how do you attach your pictures to your review so they are full size and not thumbnail size?

I did a search on these boards and they told me how to do it. I am using photobucket and using a larger setting so pictures post larger than usual. I did the search on celebrity boards.

H2OH,

Your review is off to a great start. We have sailed in Alaska twice on two other cruise lines, but haven't tried Celebrity yet.

We are thinking about a Celebrity cruise next year, so I'm looking forward to reading about your cruise.

Cruising is a great way to explore the world!

I'll try my best and will finish up once i get home if internet is iffy.

So excited to follow your review, we will be doing our 1st Alaska cruise in August , will also be our 1st Solstice class ship!!!:)

so fun. this is our first trip to Alaska. We have been on Solstice and love it.

Based on cruisers reviews, we ate lunch at Pike’s Chowder. It is located almost across the street from the Inn at the Market. You have to enter where the “Post Ally” sign is. The restaurant is located approx 100-150- feet down on the left. They open at 11:00 sharp. We arrived at 10: 50 am and sat in the outside area that has several bistro tables. Around 10:55 am, one of the groups doing food tasting showed up so Jim and I got in line…we were number two. We purchased the sampler which consists of 4 - 5 ounce samples of chowder for $ 12.00 (rounded up)…you get to select which chowder you want. Our favorites were clam chowder, seafood bisque and the scallop chowder with dill and lemon…all very good. I have to say the Chowder at the Space Needle was equally as good.

IMG_0468_zps5923d8ff.jpg

Archived