Live from Alaska Celebrity Solstice 6/7/13 cruise...hopefully

H2OH!

We are on Board sitting at the Sunset Bar having our first cocktail.

We arrived at the Port around 10:45 and were on board by 11:05. The cameras at check-in were not working so we had our pictures taken as we walked on board (the old method with our cards inserted into the the security kiosk).

Pier 91 is a great port. Clean, easy to navigate. They have the usual seperate lines for suties, aqua, concierge and elite. We were through the Elite line and onboard in 15 minutes.

All of our paperwork indicated we are Elite. When we ordered out first drink I noticed that our cards said select. We went to Guest Relations who said we needed to see Captains Club hostess as the "system" shows us as select. Hmmm...all our paperwork shows we are elite. Captains club desk opens at 5 pm so we will hop down there to begin the process of getting our cards fixed.

A group of visitors just walked by...commenting on how beautiful the ship is.

talk to ya'll soon.

[quote name='Innkeepers']We will be on the next sailing. Do they have Zumba and if so who is the instructor? Is it Andrea?

Have a wonderful time and enjoy the amazing scenery![/quote]

I will check.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For inquiring minds, [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Celebrity staff were handing out champagne upon boarding the ship. The staff were really friendly as they greeted guests. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]They were also serving water along the outdoor corridor as we approached the ship. It was after we checked in, had our “fun” picture taken and were heading toward the ship to board. Nice touch. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]The Captains Club “Coffee Break” is from 8-10 am in Silk Harvest. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Social Hour is held from 5-7 pm in Sky Lounge. When arriving in Victoria BC, the social hour is hosted from 4-6 pm due to port rules and regulations. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Cruise Critic Gathering was to be in Cellars Master on first sea day which is tomorrow but we received a vm saying it was moved to Silk Harvest and will be held at 10:30 am.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Private departure lounge will be held in Tuscan Grill starting at 7 am. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]No escargot on appetizer menu for tonight. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Jim and I went to guest relations around noon to get our seapass cards to reflect Elite status. They were unable to assist us since the Captains Club hostess/host had to update the system. Of course, the Captains club desk does not open til 5 pm. We wanted to use the complimentary pressing coupon as the first formal night is tomorrow night (Saturday 6/8) and we want the internet time. We then headed up to the Sunset Bar and had a few cocktails (Corona’s, Coors Light). We sipped away delighted we were on the ship playing a few games of backgammon. We always travel with cards and a travel backgammon game. We tied with wins/losses which is always fun…no one likes to get their tushy kicked. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Over the next 90 minutes the ship was really filling
up with fellow cruisers. I don’t know the head count for children but there are A LOT of children on this cruise. We arrived to our cabin around 1:20 pm. The big doors were open so we approached out cabin just to see if was ready. Our assistant cabin steward told us we could go in. At 1:30 pm they announced all cabins were ready. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Cabin 9292-hump balcony did not disappoint. We love this cabin. Bed is by the doors. The size of the balcony is fabulous. No footstools but love the extra space. The closet doors are angled toward the couch. The safe seems extra large…it holds our iPad, my HP Ultrabook, two cell phones, jewelry bag and a bag with our passports. The cabin itself seems a little smaller than Solstice Class CC cabins we have been in …this is a 1A. Not sure if is a little smaller but feels a little smaller. All of our items fit fine with extra space. All four bags of luggage fit under the bed fine. Yeah. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Around 2:00 pm we headed to the buffet for lunch. We sampled many of our favorite items…pizza, garlic bread, shrimp dumplings, asian noodles, BBQ chicken and BBQ meatloaf, one taco…around the world we went with our food choices. I was surprise the soy sauce and thai sweet chili sauce were missing as extra self-serve condiments. I asked and no one seemed to know if they would have them or not. Of course we had to get some dessert..it’s not officially vacation until you eat the first dessert! We shared the chocolate pudding (had a fudge consistency and was very good) and of course had a serving of the bread pudding (I think was just one serving-lol) with the vanilla sauce….can you say YUM!![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Before we knew it, time for Muster Drill. We were in grand ballroom. We arrived 10 minutes early and the drill did not start until 4: 10 maybe even 4: 15pm as fellow cruisers slowly arrived for the muster. We watched the movie and listened to the captain give a brief speech and off we were for the Captains Club to get our status straightened out. The Captains Club host was wonderful. Quickly he updated our status in the compute system. While we were there he offered a seat at the Captains’ table with the Chief Engineer so we said “sure.” We are to meet in Cellar Master’s at 8: 15 pm. Should be fun. After our status was corrected in the system, we had to go and stand in the Guest Relations line (8 deep) to get new cards. Kind of a pain but was ok.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]

Ship speed at 7:00 pm is 17 knts, wind is at 10-16 knts from the east and north-east. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Ship condition is great. A few signs of wear and tear, very few, but overall in really good shape. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Talk to everyone soon. [/SIZE][/FONT]

I will post a few photos to tide everyone over.

Yesterday was a sea day and so wonderfully relaxing although we did have soem rouogh seas (13-15 foot swells). WE just ook our time shuffling from left to right as we walked around the ship.

We have a great time at the Captain's table last night dining with the Chief Engineer STavros. I wil write more when I get home as internet is terrble and am using my air card to post a few pics.

Ketchikan this morning...

[IMG]http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag29/H2Ocruiser/IMG_0934-Copy_zps18c54ca0.jpg[/IMG]

it's so fun to read your review and relive the cruise, you are inspiring me to also write a review and post pictures as well. I've got all our pics downloaded to my computer and just need to organize them tomorrow.

it was great to meet you guys in person on our whale watching excursion!!!!

[quote name='SusanL10']it's so fun to read your review and relive the cruise, you are inspiring me to also write a review and post pictures as well. I've got all our pics downloaded to my computer and just need to organize them tomorrow.

it was great to meet you guys in person on our whale watching excursion!!!![/quote]

yes it was. I will email the video soon...busy back at work. I also need to finish my now, not so live report with pictures...hoping to get this done this weekend. Take care and talk to you soon.

amy

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the pics of Pike St market.

We are on Solstice May 8-16, 2014 Vancouver to Seattle.

Staying at that Homewood Suites one night when we fly into Seattle late

April, then take Clipper to Victoriafor 4 nights, and then to Vancouver 3

nights before cruise,

Want to stay in Seattle 4 nights after cruise.

[quote name='luvcdays']Can't wait to read more! Did you end up taking Century Car Service to the port and if so, how much was it? Thanks[/quote]

It's been two months since the OP posted, unfortunately this review will probably not be finished. It was a great start, though.

[quote name='Chrislynn55']It's been two months since the OP posted, unfortunately this review will probably not be finished. It was a great start, though.[/quote]

Thanks!!! What a bummer. I never look at the dates :eek:

Archived