Transportation question from Heathrow

I am interested in taking the train from Heathrow airport to Paddington and then taxi to our hotel. Our family will also be carrying one large suitcase and carry on each. Does this seem easier than it really is? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Our hotel is very close to a tube stop on the Piccadilly line, so we're taking the subway from Heathrow to our hotel on arrival. On the way back to Heathrow I figured we'd be tired, so considered our options - one of which was a taxi to Paddington and the Heathrow Express to the airport. In the end, I decided to reserve Eddie Manning's car service to return to Heathrow: http://www.limo.co.uk/ Depending on how many there are in your family, it might end up being cheaper to take a car service to and from your hotel. Eddie Manning charges 54 pounds for 3-7 passengers plus luggage in a van.

Taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station with luggage is no problem at all. There is penty of room on the train for your luggage and the trip is only 15 minutes.

At Paddington Station you will have a bit of a walk to the taxi stand so I'm hoping the large suitcase has wheels? Follow the signs to the taxi stand - depending on the time of day you may have to wait in a line for a taxi but it runs fairly smoothly and quickly.

We're (2 of us) staying at the Hilton Kensington, using the Heathrow Express to Paddington, and will also have 3 to 4 pieces of luggage. Is it feasible to take the tube to Gloucester Road station (hotel is there)? Or is a taxi the best bet?

It's possible to do (except in rush hour) but probably more inconvenient and trouble than it's worth. We stayed at the Thistle Kensignton Gardens on Bayswater (Queensway stop on the red line). Our cab fare from Paddignton to the hotel was 5 pounds. It looks like the Hilton Kensington is a bit further west and then south a few blocks. Just guessing, but maybe 8 - 10 pounds for your trip? I think it would be money well spent - especially after a long flight rather than trying to struggle up and down subway stations with luggage.

I would certainly advise you take the Heathrow Express over the Tube. The HE has lifts down to the platform at Heathrow and is on the level at Paddington so no stairs to consider. A taxi from Paddington is easy ot get and the OP is in the right ballpark re pricing. Heathrow Express is designed for airtravellers so has lots of luggage storage. Also it does not stop bewteen Heathrow and Paddington so you do not need to worry about your luggage disappearing at an intervening stop (it does happen on the Tube)

If there are 4 or more of you, it might be better value to organise a cab, but remember the meter ticks in thr rush hour and the road out of Heathrow is notorioius for jams

• 2 weeks later...
We're (2 of us) staying at the Hilton Kensington, using the Heathrow Express to Paddington, and will also have 3 to 4 pieces of luggage. Is it feasible to take the tube to Gloucester Road station (hotel is there)? Or is a taxi the best bet?
Are you sure that you're at the Hilton? The Hilton London Kensington is nowhere near Gloucester Road. However, the Holiday Inn Kensington and the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum (two different hotels) are both very near Gloucester Road Tube.

If you're at the Hilton, definitely do the HEX+taxi. There is no convenient Tube station for that hotel.

However, if you're at one of those Holiday Inns, then the Tube is feasible. But the usual Tube advice applies: Don't do it unless you can lift all of your luggage in one go (no shuttling backwards and forwards), can carry it several tens of yards and upstairs equivalent to about one floor. Gloucester Road Tube is on the Piccadilly Line, so there is no change of Tube necessary, and there is a lift from the platform to street level. But there may still be some stairs to negotiate - I've not used that station for some time so can't remember for sure now.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not suggest doing the tube with luggage unless you have a teeny tiny suitcase. Lots of stairs.. and very very hot in the summer. Get the train to Paddington and then a cab to your hotel. If its not rush hour and you have 3 or 4 a cab or car service from the airport is the easiest.

I do this a whole lot. Love the paddington train or GAtwick express.

Are you sure that you're at the Hilton? The Hilton London Kensington is nowhere near Gloucester Road. However, the Holiday Inn Kensington and the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum (two different hotels) are both very near Gloucester Road Tube.

If you're at the Hilton, definitely do the HEX+taxi. There is no convenient Tube station for that hotel.

However, if you're at one of those Holiday Inns, then the Tube is feasible. But the usual Tube advice applies: Don't do it unless you can lift all of your luggage in one go (no shuttling backwards and forwards), can carry it several tens of yards and upstairs equivalent to about one floor. Gloucester Road Tube is on the Piccadilly Line, so there is no change of Tube necessary, and there is a lift from the platform to street level. But there may still be some stairs to negotiate - I've not used that station for some time so can't remember for sure now.

Globaliser:

I was in London in January and I thought another point against the trip by tube from Heathrow is the closing of the tube station. You have to take the bus to I believe it is Hatton Cross at which point you pick up the tube on the Picadilly Line. Same going back by Tube, I thought this lasted until late next year.

I was in London in January and I thought another point against the trip by tube from Heathrow is the closing of the tube station. You have to take the bus to I believe it is Hatton Cross at which point you pick up the tube on the Picadilly Line. Same going back by Tube, I thought this lasted until late next year.
This is a good point, but only the Tube station at Terminal 4 is closed (currently planned to reopen in September 2006, IIRC).

The Heathrow Express station at T4 is open and running as normal, and both the Tube and the HEX are operating as normal from the stations that serve Terminals 1, 2 and 3.

I think more posters to CC seem to use T3 than T4, and I must have made an automatic assumption - apologies to DeSto for omitting this.

We just got back 2 days ago, and here's what we did. We arrived at Heathrow at terminal 3 (July 1) and took the tube to the Holborn station on the Piccadilly line. There was one section of stairs at Holborn, but escalators after that. Fortunately we didn't have too much luggage. The next day we took a taxi from our hotel (Renaissance Chancery Court) to Liverpool Street Station (7 pounds 60 for 2 people and luggage), and also from the train station to the Marriott County Hall after our cruise (July 14 - 13 pounds). I would've been tempted to take the tube to our hotel, but the Circle line was shut down after the bombings. We used Eddie Manning's service to return to Heathrow on the 16th. It was 44 pounds for a car for 1-3 people, and the service was excellent. Had we taken a taxi to Paddington and then the Heathrow Express, it would've cost at least that much, and been much more of a hassle.

if you do a search on this board....you will find the website for this very unusual company. my parents used them when they took the QM2 and they talk about the car service as if it were an excursion they took!! it is unlike the limo companies that we're used to here. it is "very british uppercrust" and they paid what their friends paid (after they stood in line for a taxi) almost the same fare. look them up you won't be disappointed.

Currently because of the problem in London, some of the tube lines are restricted. This means direct routes may not be possible, and where they are many others are using them having had to change their routes. If you have luggage, I would suggest you take the HEathrow Express in (not the Tube) and then take a taxi

Hi All, Due to the current problems it would be advisable and less hassle to have a car and driver collect you from the Airport and take you directly to your Hotel.I can reccomend a car service that I use every time.They have never let me down in twenty years and the price is not too bad

Email: chauffeurdriven@ntlworld.com

Regards

John

Archived