Elegant night= no suits?

mcatmcat

Hi

I had previous experience with carnival when they had " formal night" now it's called " elegant night" and honestly it looks to me that they are trying to lower the standards so you really have to wear a tie and suits

This is going to be my first time after the change, so I was wondering if you see less ties and suits during elegant night

I don't mind wearing my suits, I always had but if carnival is becoming less formal I like to go with the flow.

Thank you so much !!!!

We are sailing on the Dream on Saturday and my husband and the three other guys in our group are all wearing a tux. We enjoy getting dressed up for dinner. We girls are wearing a dress every night for dinner.

That's how I feel also, Being Elegant night is more open now. For me if its a warmer weather cruise I go w/o Jacket but still wear a tie. On a cooler season cruise I would wear a jacket and tie as it would be cooler temps. That's just me everybody has there own ways.

No need for a suit as well as a tie unless you never get the whole family dressed up at once and want overpriced portraits. We are frequent cruisers so now just a dress shirt and dockers with a quick change after dinner. You will not feel out of place

No need for a suit as well as a tie unless you never get the whole family dressed up at once and want overpriced portraits. We are frequent cruisers so now just a dress shirt and dockers with a quick change after dinner. You will not feel out of place

I agree with you. I never look to wear suits on a vacation. I do pack a blazer just in case. Otherwise, its a nice shirt, docker style pants and nice shoes.

You may see 1-2 tuxes and 10-15% with suits. More than 50% will not be wearing a tie.

I think this is true sometimes but not always. During the summer and on 3-5 day cruises you're probably not far off. However, on 7 day cruises, especially those in the fall or winter when the median age is older than during spring and summer family cruise season, the numbers are probably over 80%+ wearing ties and half or more with coats.

At least that been our experience over the past few years.

I enjoy not dressing up ... Not talking about wearing basketball shorts or tank tops but a nice clean pair of Kakis and polo shirt is my style

+1. Who really wants to play dress up?

I think this is true sometimes but not always. During the summer and on 3-5 day cruises you're probably not far off. However, on 7 day cruises, especially those in the fall or winter when the median age is older than during spring and summer family cruise season, the numbers are probably over 80%+ wearing ties and half or more with coats.

At least that been our experience over the past few years.

I agree, the cruises I go on I see 75-80% wearing ties, 60% with jackets. I usually wear my army dress blues, but I wouldn't if not for my wife :D

+1. Who really wants to play dress up?

Me. I paid a lot of money to sit by someone wearing a wifebeater and ragged shorts. Ditto Mama in her too small halter top and all of her ugly tats on her fat legs gleaming in the light.

My DH takes a suit on the Newer ships..Princess and Hal. On the smaller ships...he just wears nice long pants and a nice short sleeved shirt. Still he looks like he made an effort.

I do not wear net formals like we did in High School. I wear a dress. On Elegant night I wear a Church type dress...small bit of costume jewelry. I make an effort to be clean, neatly groomed and dressed to not offend.

And I have to admit..when I see some ladies going by in their sequinned..sparkling formal jackets..I think they are the prettiest things I have seen in a long time. Some of the outfits ladies wear are just stunning. i enjoy just looking at them. It is not for me..but I sure do admire them.

Men. if they are clean. made an effort to look nice. who would complain?

We were on Glory last month and I was surprised that probably 60-70% of the men wore suits. DH wore suits when Carnival was more formal (and still does on other cruise lines that 'require' them), but ever since Carnival changed their guidelines, he wears nice pants, dress shirt, and a tie.

I think airline luggage fees have contributed to cruises becoming less formal.

Archived