Best time to embark?

masteryoda13

Hi everybody. We're going on a 6 night cruise on the Carnival Breeze in July and taking our 2 yo twins with us. Unfortunately FTTF passes are sold out for our sailing, so we need to figure out when is the best time to embark the ship. At first I thought that maybe we should get to the port around 11 to avoid the crowd, but then I realized that our cabins won't be ready until about 1.30 or 2pm, which means that we'll have to schlep all our carry-ons with us, not including the kids. So what is your suggestion? Also, we're going to be bringing a full size side-by-side stroller, as our kids usually take a nap in it. Would you suggest checking it in with a porter, or do we have to take it as our carry-on?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I hadn't thought about this yet! Pre-kiddo, I would have tried to get on as soon as possible to get my vacation started! But now since we're bringing 2 kids under 5, we may have a ton of stuf to drag around.

Interested in what others have to say that have experience with this. But...

I still say get on around noon. Bring the stroller and put your crap in it. The kids will be excited and want to run around anyway. By the time you explore a little and eat lunch, cabins should be ready.

I would keep the stroller with you and the kids in it. There will likely be lots of people and you will be in a line for awhile. You don't want to chase two toddlers all over the place. We took my grandson, who had just turned two, on a cruise in December and he stayed in the stroller until we got to security. Once through he went back into the stroller. The ship does not care how many bags you carry on as long as they fit through the xray machine.

I would arrive early as you planned.

Keith

Why? Just wondering what your reasoning is.

I'd seriously rethink the side by side stroller. Do you know for a fact it will fit through the cabin door? You'll also have real issues getting it through the hallways, especially when the cleaning carts are out and into elevators.

In the past, we've always arrived at the port around 11, got on the ship, went straight to eat. That always kept the girls occupied and happy until we could venture up to our cabins which, let's face it...happy children make for a better vacation. As far as carrying things on board, I've never gone to the extreme. For embarkation day, I usually pack the same way I would if we were doing an all day outing...pull-ups, wipes, a change of clothes, sippy cups, and a snack. No need to drag a bunch of bags around with you.

In the past, we've always arrived at the port around 11, got on the ship, went straight to eat. That always kept the girls occupied and happy until we could venture up to our cabins which, let's face it...happy children make for a better vacation. As far as carrying things on board, I've never gone to the extreme. For embarkation day, I usually pack the same way I would if we were doing an all day outing...pull-ups, wipes, a change of clothes, sippy cups, and a snack. No need to drag a bunch of bags around with you.

I'll second this...you're paying for that first day,,why not make the most of it! We travel heavy on the checked bags (driving, so weight isn't an issue) but keep the carry on stuff to a minimum. You'll have stroller to make it easier for you too. And as far as its wide size, it's smart to bring what's comfortable. It most likely won't fit thru the cabin door, but I'm sure you're a pro by now when it comes to folding and such.

Archived