Photobooks

I use Shutterfly and like it alot. There are plenty of pre-set layouts but you can customize them (move or resize the pictures, add or remove text boxes, etc). You can add as many pages you want but I believe there is a minimum of 20 pages.

I posted a share to my latest book on my blog, if you want to check it out:

http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2013/05/sandals-grande-antigua-photobook.html

I, too, have made numerous books. It's addicting. I love that people can look at your pictures and not get them out of order. I can add as much detail and narrative as I wish.

I started with Apple books. They produce a great quality book. I also like the mini size, which is great for making a special book for a child. However, Apple's prices were a little high for me so I started looking for options.

Next I did blurb. I loved Blurb, lots of variety and options. I especially like that I can use png format pictures. (If I just want to extract one figure out of a picture, I can select it in photoshop and make the rest of the picture transparent. this allows me to overlap that figure on another picture. i.e. just the plate with the yummy brownies on top of a recipe background.) Blurb also allows me to easily put my logo on the book. My biggest disappointment with blurb was that the pictures cannot be tilted. i also found that the different paper quality books are printed at different locations and the colors are not always true.

S, I tried Mixbook. The quality of the pictures was ok. What I didn't like was that the ink was laid on top of the paper, rather than integrated into it like the other books. They also were using CMYK printing rather than RGB so some of the colors were not true.

Next I tried Shutterfly. They have lots and lots of options and embellishments. I like the price (with frequent coupons.) I also like the premium thick, thick pages. It gives a more professional feel.

These days, I vary between blurb and Shutterfly, depending on the coupons and my objectives for the book.

That's my 2 cents.

I, too, have made numerous books. It's addicting. I love that people can look at your pictures and not get them out of order. I can add as much detail and narrative as I wish.

I started with Apple books. They produce a great quality book. I also like the mini size, which is great for making a special book for a child. However, Apple's prices were a little high for me so I started looking for options.

Next I did blurb. I loved Blurb, lots of variety and options. I especially like that I can use png format pictures. (If I just want to extract one figure out of a picture, I can select it in photoshop and make the rest of the picture transparent. this allows me to overlap that figure on another picture. i.e. just the plate with the yummy brownies on top of a recipe background.) Blurb also allows me to easily put my logo on the book. My biggest disappointment with blurb was that the pictures cannot be tilted. i also found that the different paper quality books are printed at different locations and the colors are not always true.

S, I tried Mixbook. The quality of the pictures was ok. What I didn't like was that the ink was laid on top of the paper, rather than integrated into it like the other books. They also were using CMYK printing rather than RGB so some of the colors were not true.

Next I tried Shutterfly. They have lots and lots of options and embellishments. I like the price (with frequent coupons.) I also like the premium thick, thick pages. It gives a more professional feel.

These days, I vary between blurb and Shutterfly, depending on the coupons and my objectives for the book.

That's my 2 cents.

You can do anything you want with the pictures if you make up your page in Photoshop Elements.

• 1 month later...

Ive made photobooks for years now, mostly holidays but for events and people and although ive used many different companies I have to say by far the best is cewe photo world. I used these for my own wedding album and were by far superior. Sometimes they have discounts available but even at full price they are worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...

I used design all my layouts in Creative Memories Storybook Creator and then uploaded it to their site because I could do that with the click of a button. Now that CM is discontinuing their digital support, I will probably switch to Artisan (same program as CM's) as the deisgn program -- which although it may not be quite as robust as PhotoShop, I find it a lot easier and intuitive than the overwhelming PhotoShop. The company just signed a deal with a printer and should hopefully start a seamless design/print process like CM had. While I hope and wait for that though, I am researching alternatives.

Instead of photobooks, I typically do 12x12 page prints because those allow me to merge in my Daily Planners from the cruise, room keys, itinerary and final payments, flat souvenirs, etc, as well as give lengthy details (okay, long stories) about the events of the day. This is a bit of a merge of traditional and digital scrapbooking/photobooking.

In searching for a new printer for my photobooks, I came across this nice comparison. Sadly, it is a little outdated now, but a lot of the information is probably still good.

http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/97676/the-great-photo-book-round-up-review-who-makes-the-best-photo-books.html

For my personal books (the one's I don't mind the kids playing around with) I use Costco. They are inexpensive and the quality is not bad. There are lots of choices for templates and they are super easy to use. Quality is much better than most consumer end labs.

For a nicer book I print at MpixPro or Millers. I am calibrated for their lab so it is nice and I use my own PS templates.

I'm a Blurb fan. I tried several and in the end I just gave up on layouts and focused on quality which Blurb delivers. Their premium paper is wonderful. It feels like an expensive coffee table book and the color is great.

For layouts I use Elements to make a full-page image to Blurb's size and resolution recommendations. Below are links to full-book previews on their site. I really like the site as it allows full-screen viewing and you can limit the number of pages or show the whole book.

For best viewing, click on the fullscreen button at the bottom left of the book viewer.

Cruising:

http://www.blurb.com/books/528869-one-port-at-a-time

Picture-a-Week 2012:

http://www.blurb.com/books/4251484-picture-a-week-2012

Dave

I'm a fan of My Publisher. I've used others in the past (Blurb, Snapfish, shutterfly, Adorama). Two weeks ago I tried Mixbook. I don't like the quality of the photos at all. Photos just don't pop, like on My Publisher and Shutterfly.

I wanted to try Mixbook based on this review: http://photo-book-review.toptenreviews.com/

My next book will be with Shutterfly.

Monica

Cindy: Great book. Very creative. I have always used Shutterfly too, but looks like Mixbook may give several additional options. I might have to try it for my next book.

Small world - we were on Oasis the week before you. We got off on May 11th. It was our 2nd time. Love Lady O.

Have a great weekend!

Loved your book and all the little extra details. Nicely done.

I'm a Blurb fan. I tried several and in the end I just gave up on layouts and focused on quality which Blurb delivers. Their premium paper is wonderful. It feels like an expensive coffee table book and the color is great.

For layouts I use Elements to make a full-page image to Blurb's size and resolution recommendations. Below are links to full-book previews on their site. I really like the site as it allows full-screen viewing and you can limit the number of pages or show the whole book.

For best viewing, click on the fullscreen button at the bottom left of the book viewer.

Cruising:

http://www.blurb.com/books/528869-one-port-at-a-time

Picture-a-Week 2012:

http://www.blurb.com/books/4251484-picture-a-week-2012

Dave

As always Dave your books are beautiful. It is a treat viewing your books

• 3 weeks later...

For you Shutterfly users (or people who might want to try it out), Travelzoo is offering a deal for a 20-page 8x8 photobook for $10. I will definitely be getting one of these!

http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/nationwide/Other/65614?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1562153_html_deal%3a65614&utm_content=1562153&tz_adid=1562153

Has anyone here given Photobook Designer a try?

http://www.photobookamerica.com

It looks interesting and the pricing is reasonable. I just downloaded the software to play with it for a while and decide if I like it.

I have a book partly together using MyPublisher which has had some good reviews here. Just wanted to check out other options before I spend my $$ :-)

Thanks for any input on this new option.

David

Keep the end product in mind. Check out reviews on the printing and binding for each of the options. My publisher had a lot of good reviews in this department and the cost is pretty good and they often have discounts, coupons and specials.

Mixbook and shutterfly also have good reviews. My wife uses shutterfly or snap fish, but I liked the my publisher books better personally.

I use Shutterfly also, although the process of actually making the book in Custom Path drives me crazy. Why isn't there a search field for the embelishments? I don't want to have to scroll through their endless 'styles,' 'categories,' etc. And some of their groupings of the clip art doesn't make any sense.

Sometimes I want to put letters/numbers in also, so why isn't the entire alphabet or 1-10 offered in that same design? There are numerous other bugs that I wish they would fix that would make the process flow so much easier. I always fill out the 'feedback' down at the bottom, but so far no changes.

Sigh, although I do love the end result. :)

Thanks. I have a free 8x8 coupon already. Sadly that's not the size I want top make. Oh well.

On my last freebie coupon, you could do the 8x8 or apply $23.99 as a discount to a bigger size. So that's great.

I use Shutterfly, and have been happy with the results. But it's such a time-consuming process (if you really want to customize it) that I am SO behind in my trips. Maybe I should just let them make up the book (they are always showing you how one would look) -- that way I'd have something as opposed to the nothing I have now. :)

Here's a website for all you photo booker's - www.photobookgirl.com. She has lots of hints, reviews and links to current coupons from various companies. Also, many times you can "stack" Shutterfly promo codes to get additional savings. I've made a LOT of books. Mixbook and Photobook America are among my favorites. Also like Shutterfly.

I use Shutterfly also, although the process of actually making the book in Custom Path drives me crazy. Why isn't there a search field for the embelishments? I don't want to have to scroll through their endless 'styles,' 'categories,' etc. And some of their groupings of the clip art doesn't make any sense.

Sometimes I want to put letters/numbers in also, so why isn't the entire alphabet or 1-10 offered in that same design? There are numerous other bugs that I wish they would fix that would make the process flow so much easier. I always fill out the 'feedback' down at the bottom, but so far no changes.

Sigh, although I do love the end result. :)

On my last freebie coupon, you could do the 8x8 or apply $23.99 as a discount to a bigger size. So that's great.

These same things drive me crazy as well. I'm always searching for a "search" button. You can only take so much of browsing all of their items before you finally give up. I keep wondering how many of the embelishments there are that I have yet to see just because of this.

I just made another book this week using their "summer" code for another free book. Although I like them, they are some times a pain.

I didn't realize there was a feedback form??? Where do you find this? :confused:

Archived