CocoCay question

effare

we are wondering about the snorkel adventure & underwater treasure hunt. does it take place right off the beach or do they take you by boat to another location? we would like to see the sunken airplane. we are debating booking this tour vs. bringing our own masks and snorkels. we have snorkeled before so are not new to it. just wondering if its worth $32 for each person in our group.

if anyone has done this, I would greatly appreciate your input.

cruisers that cruise a lot call coco cay---"coco maybe", because this island is by passed a lot due to sea conditions. as far as my wife and i are concerned, this is great. for us coco maybe is the pits.....

cruisers that cruise a lot call coco cay---"coco maybe", because this island is by passed a lot due to sea conditions. as far as my wife and i are concerned, this is great. for us coco maybe is the pits.....

Why don't you like it ?

Save your money and do your own snorkel tour. The map shows you the location of the plane and some sunken cannon right off the snorkel beach, then go around back to the barefoot beach and snorkel the salt grass with lots of critters to look at. There is a resident octopus in the coral in the lagoon where they rent sports equipment. You have to look hard for him. You can see all the same stuff on your own easily.:D

We have been 3 times and never had to skip it until some group chartered another RCCL ship and went there, so we couldn't go to CoCoCaye and had to do Nassau instead.

Why don't you like it ?

for cruisers that cruise often and have been to Labadee with a gold card, the perks on Labadee are wonderful. even with a gold card, you will find no perks on Coco maybe. and yes, Labadee is a rcl island just as Coco maybe is. on Labadee you are treated better and there are many more things to do.

Snorkeling on Coco Cay is great. You can wade out from the beach and there is lots to see. If you have gear you only have to pay $6 pp for the required vest. I agree that Labadee has more to offer in general but snorkeling at Coco really is great

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

for cruisers that cruise often and have been to Labadee with a gold card, the perks on Labadee are wonderful. even with a gold card, you will find no perks on Coco maybe. and yes, Labadee is a rcl island just as Coco maybe is. on Labadee you are treated better and there are many more things to do.

LOL...you keep using the word "maybe". Have you even BEEN to CocoCay? It's actually quite nice. I don't know about RCI's Labadee Haiti as I haven't sailed there (yet), but what perks exactly do you "maybe" get there that you don't get on CocoCay. I'm just curious...:confused:

Snorkeling on Coco Cay is great. You can wade out from the beach and there is lots to see. If you have gear you only have to pay $6 pp for the required vest. I agree that Labadee has more to offer in general but snorkeling at Coco really is great

I agree, we've been to both places, and snorkeling at Coco Cay is much better than Labadee. I wouldn't even waste the time anymore snorkeling at Labadee.

LOL...you keep using the word "maybe". Have you even BEEN to CocoCay? It's actually quite nice. I don't know about RCI's Labadee Haiti as I haven't sailed there (yet), but what perks exactly do you "maybe" get there that you don't get on CocoCay. I'm just curious...:confused:

If you are in a GS or better you get access to the barefoot beach with an upgraded lunch, transport to and from the "suite beach" if you want it. And I think free use of rafts...not too sure on that. We had them, but I can't remember if we paid for them or not. There was a beach attendant who'd bring whatever you asked for. And priority access to the cabanas through the CL. Zip line and a coaster ride down the mountain. And a pier, so no tendering.

Labadee is larger than Coco Cay, and more "built up"...and the ship docks there...at Coco Cay, you have to tender in, meaning if it's very windy or rough, you won't stop there.

Both places are lovely!

i can answer your first question. ----yes i have been there many times and was only able to tender to the island a few times due to the weather, thus the nickname "COCO MAYBE"

the second questions was answered very nicely by both:

nanciRDH---post # 13

&

cbatsea---post # 14.

• 2 weeks later...

If I want to snorkel without the organized tour can I rent fins, mask and snorkel there and what would be the cost? If yes, is there a time limit or is it "mine" for the entire day?

We paid $86 for 3 full sets of gear (two children and 1 adult) and 1 adult vest for all day use. The crash sites are pretty far out, there are floating docks to rest on. We saw a sea turtle and large Barracuda last Thursday. I had never seen a sunken plane before, it was interesting, but I prefer looking at coral and fish, not wrecks. Just me:)There are lifeguard huts out by the docks with jet skis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
we are wondering about the snorkel adventure & underwater treasure hunt. does it take place right off the beach or do they take you by boat to another location? we would like to see the sunken airplane. we are debating booking this tour vs. bringing our own masks and snorkels. we have snorkeled before so are not new to it. just wondering if its worth $32 for each person in our group.

if anyone has done this, I would greatly appreciate your input.

According to the excursion description :

>>>! Have your own equipment? Bring it with you and you’ll receive a partial discount onboard for this tour.<<<

So, if you bring your own equipment, you will get discount - If you skip the tour and bring your own you will still need to rent a vest and i believe it is $6.00 to rent separately.

My hubby incorrectly told me 90...I found the receipt and it was that for the two kids and 110 for two adults. No they don't take you by boat. Once you tender to the island, you walk to get your gear and enter from the beach.The coral is closer than the wrecks so if you aren't interested in seeing wrecks its not too far to swim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Archived