Obtaining a Chip & Pin Credit Card - My Experience

-Lew-

After researching the subject thoroughly, I applied for a Chip & Pin VISA credit card offered by the Andrews Federal Credit Union. Andrews FCU is one of a very few financial institutions in the US offering true Chip & Pin credit cards. It’s a huge credit union primarily catering to the military with branches in Washington DC, Maryland, New Jersey, Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium.

I wanted a Chip & Pin card for the few times I will be needing one in travels in Europe and elsewhere. Instances I could have used a Chip & Pin card in the past include ticket machines in the Paris Metro, unattended fuel stations in Italy, a clothing store in London, markets in Provence and unattended parking facilities to name a few. We’ll be faced with similar circumstances in October and I don’t want to be put in a difficult position.

Here is a description of features of the Andrews GlobeTrek Visa® Rewards Card as outlined on the Andrews website:

The GlobeTrek Visa® Rewards Card is designed to work anywhere Visa® is accepted. It also comes standard with some amazing benefits, like the
integrated Chip & PIN technology that uses a secure four-digit PIN for your transactions.

Every GlobeTrek Visa® Rewards Card comes standard with some amazing benefits, like:

/// 1.90% APR introductory rate* for the first 9 months on all purchases and balance transfers

/// Purchasing limits up to $50,000

/// Earn Rewards Points with every purchase

/// No balance transfer fees

///
No annual fees

/// No cash advance fees

///
No International/Foreign Transaction fee

/// 5,000 points with your first purchase

The credit card can be applied for online; however, you must become a member of the Andrews FCU before the card will be issued. The membership application can also be completed online and can be done before or after the credit card application.

In order to become a member, you must be a member of a qualifying organization. If you’re not a member of a qualifying organization, you can obtain a free membership to the American Consumer Council within the membership application. You must also setup a share account with a minimum balance of $5.00 which can be funded with an existing credit card.

Timeline:

Day 1 - I applied for the credit card which was approved within a few hours.

Day 2 - I received an email requesting that I electronically sign documents.

Day 7 - I received a welcome letter. In it was a notice that if I did not elect eStatements online, paper statements would cost $2.00 per month.

Day 11 - I received our PIN numbers.

Day 12 - I received our cards

You can find the Andrews FCU website here. The American Consumer Council’s website can be found here.

A spreadsheet detailing credit cards currently available with embedded chips can be found here.

Note: Chip & Signature and Chip & Pin cards are not the same animal. You need a Chip & Pin card if the occasion presents itself while traveling in Europe.

Lew

I called up our bank about chip/pin cards and they do not have them...but they stated all Merchants should stil take them. We used our credit card a fair bit in Italy. And our other stops on our May 22 sailing on Silhouette and never had 1 problem with our regular old fashioned credit card. Ensure one notifies your credit card where ur traveling to-to avoid it being denied!

Lew, thanks for this very useful information. I went through all the research about 18 months ago and couldn't find anywhere at the time to get a true chip and pin card. This sounds relatively painless.

Flames9: A regular card should work in all circumstances where there is an actual person there to do the transaction. However, there are unmanned kiosks (for rail tickets, for tolls, for parking, etc.) that require chip and pin technology. There are also some smaller places that will protest up and down that they cannot take your card.

It's coming -- may as well join it.

Lew, thanks for this very useful information. I went through all the research about 18 months ago and couldn't find anywhere at the time to get a true chip and pin card. This sounds relatively painless.

Flames9: A regular card should work in all circumstances where there is an actual person there to do the transaction. However, there are unmanned kiosks (for rail tickets, for tolls, for parking, etc.) that require chip and pin technology. There are also some smaller places that will protest up and down that they cannot take your card.

It's coming -- may as well join it.

We actually found a lot of places would not accept any credit cards.

Thanks Lew. Andrews was one of the CUs that I heard issued C&P cards. But, I assumed, incorrectly I see now, that one had to be in the military or a civilian working one the base to join...

Maybe I'll lean on my CU a little - it's a large airline and defense contractor CU...lots of international travelers there!!!

Thanks for the info Lew, I love it when someone else does the leg work for me! :)

cruisemom42 and euro cruiser...

You're welcome; however, I'll never be able to repay you for what I have learned by reading your posts over the years. You've both contributed greatly, in ways you'll never know, to many wonderful European trips.

Lew

Interesting.. all of our cards now are chip- including debit, visa, mastercard, as standard issue. Only newly issued card I have without it is amex.

Are you sure they are chip and PIN, not chip and SIGNATURE? I also have chips in my Visa and AMEX cards, but they are only C&S...

Chase Bank MasterCard has chip.

Yes it does; however, it's not a Chip & Pin card...it's a Chip & Signature card.

Last year I applied for the JP Morgan Chase card after calling the bank to confirm the card was indeed a Chip & Pin card. Upon receiving the card and no PIN, it was pretty obvious it was actually a Chip & Signature card. I cancelled the account.

A Chip and Signature card is pretty useless in those instances when a Chip & Pin card is needed.

Are you sure they are chip and PIN, not chip and SIGNATURE? I also have chips in my Visa and AMEX cards, but they are only C&S...

I don't know how my original post can be any clearer. Reread my post and check out the Andrews website yourself.

I have the cards...they have chips...I have the PINs...they're Chip & Pin cards.

Lew

Yes it does; however, it's not a Chip & Pin card...it's a Chip & Signature card.

Last year I applied for the JP Morgan Chase card after calling the bank to confirm the card was indeed a Chip & Pin card. Upon receiving the card and no PIN, it was pretty obvious it was actually a Chip & Signature card. I cancelled the account.

A Chip and Signature card is pretty useless in those instances when a Chip & Pin card is needed.

I don't know how my original post can be any clearer. Reread my post and check out the Andrews website yourself.

I have the cards...they have chips...I have the PINs...they're Chip & Pin cards.

Lew

She (slidergirl)was referring to Quatro Romeos post.

Yes When I was back in Canada last ( I'm a Canuck) Seemed my parents CC were all chip and PIN, as I borrowed 2 of them and they had to give me pin to be able to use it.

Absolutely- have to enter my PIN every time. This is through the Canadian banking system though. The issuers actually sent out the new cards before the renewal date to take advantage of the enhanced security. So eventually it will be standard everywhere I would think. The amex one has photo id and is issued through Costco, but no chip for some reason.

Lew

Lew,

I wasn't responding to your posts, but the other person (from Canada) who said they had chips in their cards. I totally know that the Andrews card is C&P :)

Lew,

I wasn't responding to your posts, but the other person (from Canada) who said they had chips in their cards. I totally know that the Andrews card is C&P :)

Yes, that was brought to my attention by flames9 above and I did apologize for my errant post. I extend my apologies to you directly now.

I attribute my behavior to too many mimosas at brunch today…it's my birthday! :rolleyes:

Lew

Chase Bank MasterCard has chip.

We have a two accounts with Citibank: MasterCard and American Express. Recently, we received an offer from our MasterCard account for a "Chip card" with a cover letter that said "it would work in Europe." The wording of the offer did not explicitly state "chip and pin" or "chip and signature" -- an important distinction. Thinking positively, we signed up for the new card. When we asked about a similar card for our Citibank AMEX, we were told the new type of card was only being offered to Platinum Select World MasterCard (or something like that) holders, not to AMEX holders.

Until we get the card in our hands, I can't tell you whether or not these are true European chip and pin card. The cards should arrive very soon. Stay tuned.

Yes, that was brought to my attention by flames9 above and I did apologize for my errant post. I extend my apologies to you directly now.

I attribute my behavior to too many mimosas at brunch today…it's my birthday! :rolleyes:

Lew

Well, Happy Birthday!!! No harm, no foul. sometimes it's hard to follow threads when we're all typing at the same time:D

Well, Happy Birthday!!! No harm, no foul. sometimes it's hard to follow threads when we're all typing at the same time:D

Thank you for your understand and good wishes. :)

Lew

Recently, we received an offer from our MasterCard account for a "Chip card" with a cover letter that said "it would work in Europe." The wording of the offer did not explicitly state "chip and pin" or "chip and signature" -- an important distinction. Thinking positively, we signed up for the new card...

Until we get the card in our hands, I can't tell you whether or not these are true European chip and pin card. The cards should arrive very soon. Stay tuned.

Chip and signature. What a missed opportunity for Citibank and for travelers!

We didn't pay a penny to acquire the new cards so the bank has spent a fortune rolling out new cards that offer no benefit whatsoever. For free, Citibank's marketing department could have spent one week reading the posts on Cruise Critic to realize chip and signature is not a card with any appeal to travelers in Europe.

We've never had a problem with a swipe card in Europe as long as a human was handling the transaction. The only problem that needed to be solved is one this new card still doesn't solve!

Bottom line: If you're looking for a card to deal with unattended parking, toll booths, and train ticket machines, keep on looking. Citibank does not yet offer the right kind of card.

I believe Canada has now adopted chip & pin as their standard. Chase just sent me a new M/C with a chip, but it's chip & signature, not chip & pin. I don't know why the U.S. banks are so slow about this.

Standard in Australia too; every time we use a card we have to say or enter whether it is pin or sign. But now they are bringing in no pin or sign on smaller transactions; just wave. Not sure if I am completely sold on that.