Bob Dickinson's back?

What good news!

Dear Mr. Dickinson:

Bring back the brochures for Carnival Cruise Line! It is hard to book a cruise when one does not know what the choices are! Many of us do not like "shopping" on-line. We enjoy having a brochure in our hands as we are arm-chair traveling. (That is one of the main ways I have found interesting itineraries that I have traveled.)

As an agent, I find that many prefer having a brochure "in their hands". Great suggestion!

Carnival can use him and obviously they feel he can help get things back on track. Too bad Cahill dismissed most of the experienced executives at Carnival. So much great talent was told to hit the road. Carnival's loss, but competing cruise lines' gain since many were hired up instantly.

Dickinson's role will be to consult with all the North American based brands of Carnival Corp, but somehow I feel the majority of his time will be spent with Carnival Cruise Lines. They are based in Miami and Dickinson lives in Miami, plus he has all the experience running the line. Princess, Holland America, and Seabourn seem to be doing just fine, but Carnival is another story.

When Dickinson retired replacing him with Gerry Cahill was the worst thing CCL has done so I guess they realized there mistake and brought B. D back but what influence he will have is too be seen.

Gary

What good news!

Dear Mr. Dickinson:

Bring back the brochures for Carnival Cruise Line! It is hard to book a cruise when one does not know what the choices are! Many of us do not like "shopping" on-line. We enjoy having a brochure in our hands as we are arm-chair traveling. (That is one of the main ways I have found interesting itineraries that I have traveled.)

So true! I miss the cruise catalogs! I used to use it for every single cruise while trying to find the perfect cabin!

I wish Mr. Dickinson the best in his review and future recommendations. My opinion is new management tried to fix things that weren't broken. Alienating long term customers was a non starter, and then managements performance in the face of several "incidents" was dismal.

As a former Carnival employee That was employed under both executives, I am so excited to have Mr Dickinson back. I could tell from the 1st week of the change to Cahill, that things were not gonna be anywhere near the same. This was a bad thing. Since I had cruised on a few cruises prior to the change also, I could definitely tell the change when it happened. Things seemed to get more chintsy and expensive as well as smaller portions. I think Carnival knows that deep down they need to have Mr Dickinson back with the company. He knew what it took and was a very nice and generous guy to everyone. Great job Carnival. Better late than never, and welcome back Bob. We missed you.:):):)

I wish Mr. Dickinson the best in his review and future recommendations. My opinion is new management tried to fix things that weren't broken. Alienating long term customers was a non starter, and then managements performance in the face of several "incidents" was dismal.

I wish Mr Dickinson all the best as well. I also feel what has accrued with the recent Carnival changes ,will not change.......

The basket now consaints Breathe Right Strips and soap. Thats it. WEll from my recent Breeze Cruise.

Same on the Inspiration last week....the standard bar soap and tons of Breathe Right strips.

Uncle Bob left under his terms at the top of his game. He is not coming back to run Carnival.

This is part of corporate politics - until recently he was still on the board of directors and this is politics as usual basically allowing him to continue in the same role.

Looks like he will be sucking up to travel agents and even more emphasis on attracting first time cruisers.

A more interesting article

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/dickinson-details-his-new-carnival-assignment.html

I think this goes well beyond simple corporate politics. Carnival Corp. runs a lean organization and they don't add to the payroll unless there is a need. In fact they just fired the heads of both Cunard and P&O, with no plans to fill the rolls. Definitely a move to cut costs.

Lets face it Dickinson doesn't need the money or the job. He is being brought back because there is a clear need for his expertise, and I'm glad the Board of Directors recognizes this. Clearly CCL needs some help.

Welcome back Bob I hope you can try to fix what Cahill did to Carnival. What a slap in the face of Cahill this is, Carnival is almost admitting they have a serious problem by bring Bob back. Houston we have a problem….or in this case Miami we have a problem.

I think this goes well beyond simple corporate politics. Carnival Corp. runs a lean organization and they don't add to the payroll unless there is a need. In fact they just fired the heads of both Cunard and P&O, with no plans to fill the rolls. Definitely a move to cut costs.

Lets face it Dickinson doesn't need the money or the job. He is being brought back because there is a clear need for his expertise, and I'm glad the Board of Directors recognizes this. Clearly CCL needs some help.

Politics as usual.

"Dickinson did not stand for re-election, with Carnival citing the preference of many shareholder groups for a high percentage of independent directors and the fact that former company executives are typically not considered ‘independent’ directors in the UK."

As a consultant he doesn't have to be independent and will make a lot more money. Best of all, he won't be accountable.

Politics as usual.

"Dickinson did not stand for re-election, with Carnival citing the preference of many shareholder groups for a high percentage of independent directors and the fact that former company executives are typically not considered ‘independent’ directors in the UK."

As a consultant he doesn't have to be independent and will make a lot more money. Best of all, he won't be accountable.

It wasn't just Dickinson, it was Peter Ratcliffe from Princess as well, and my understanding is that it wasn't their choice. Basically a shift in policy of the Board. They no longer wanted past executives of the various brands represented on the Board for a variety of reasons as stated.

You're correct that he is way better off as a consultant from his standpoint, but that doesn't change the fact that Carnival Corp. felt they needed his expertise and hired him. There was certainly no obligation to do so. CCL is in damage control mode right now, very much on the defensive and they seem unable to manage it well. Uncle Bob is just the man for the job. As for accountability, anyone that knows this man knows that will not be an issue. Dickinson has a lot of integrity and I'm certain he will work diligently for his salary, with proven results just as he has always done in the past. No doubt he also owns a fair bit of Carnival stock, so it's also in his best interest that the company performs well.

I wish him the best. I just hope his conclusion doesn't involve bringing Farcus back as lead designer.

I think Farcus is gone for good, but if you ever miss his designs you can always catch him at sister line Costa, where he still designs all the interiors.

This thread shows what value Bob will add........perception. The perception alone of him "being back" will do more than any tangible changes he may make.

Cahill did a lot of great things for Carnival and added many great things. But sometimes timing is everything with economy and even unfortunate events. I doubt Bob is going to make any huge changes nor undo things Cahill has gotten done. He'll make a couple change just to increase the positive perception. He was more about financial frugality, so don't look for some kind or massive costly changes.,

Sent using Tapatalk on my iphone5

This thread shows what value Bob will add........perception. The perception alone of him "being back" will do more than any tangible changes he may make.

Perception is half the battle right? Unfortunately the perception of Carnival by both consumers and the agent community is probably at an all time low. Carnival has essentially shut out travel agents and they no longer support the line. This is not a good thing especially when CCL needs their help to fill ships when the going gets tough. Renaissance Cruises tried to shut out travel agents and eliminate the distribution system, and they didn't last long. We all know the perception of Carnival right now from the media and most consumers. It's not exactly positive. I think the one tangible change he will recommend is enhancing the distribution system and the CCL/agent relationship, and I have a feeling CCL will follow through with his recommendations.

Perception is half the battle right? .

yup. and yet this one act just proves what so many have been saying. someone means business. what bigger fingers can plug that dike?

and in one felt swoop stopped or has possibly in one day slightly reversed the bad pr of the past year and a half.

markettng genius!

Uncle Bob was also on the Board of Directors long after Cahill replaced him at Carnival. If you credit him in one direction you also have to blame him in the other.

If Bob wasn't seen as being part of the solution, they wouldn't be bringing him back. They obviously think he has something that current leadership is lacking or this move would not have occurred. Lots of other companies are flourishing in this business environment, and Carnival stock is lagging the major indices.

Bring back FCC, drink coupons and funship dollars. Recognize cruisers that are diamond & platinium. Glad he"s back and hoping for some changes to the better for a change.

I agree, and also , move those passengers that were within 1 to two cruises of Milestone status, to the Diamond that they were promised. Yes, I was told that myself. Instead they offered to grandfather anyone who reached that 10 cruise limit by the end of another year to platinum. Even though at first they were saying they needed to change it because too many were Platinum. So they changed it to days sailed. REsulting in hundereds more Platinum status. Then they added FTTF. Which I will say is a great perk for someone to buy into. It gives them the most important perks that Plats and Diamonds were given for the many cruised that they took with CArnival. Notice I did not say loyalty, because many that met that Status ,also cruise other lines. It is a fact that the ships are not filling as quickly as they used to. Well, they had to drop the summer rates drastically to fill the ships. The changes they made were not for the better... They had a good product which many flocked too, fun ships. Now they are changing to bring in a different crowd. I liked the way it was, something for everyone, ages 1-95. Everyone had a good time, you hardly ever , ever, read a bad review. they have had numerous complaints and letters and fb posts about the food quality. Mac and Cheese, meatloaf, and fried chicken are good, on the kids menu. But its not just that, the changes they have made to the main menu food are definetly not the quality they used to be. The service team works their butts off. I have no gripe about them. They need to increase the mdr team and go back to two persons per table. it worked much better. They have many many complaints about the volume on the lido deck, and have now brought that over to HMC with the DJ there too. How can they do this to that little slice of heaven? I love hearing music there. But there is a point where it is just too dang loud. After the complaints, it still blares. They have had numerous complaints about the news that comes blaring on at 7am on the lido deck Jumbotron. I was told it would be no more. Find a place somewhere else on the ship to watch the news. Hardly anyone is out there that early to listen to it. And maybe if it wasn't blaring there, more people could get up early, go up to the lido deck, get their first cup of coffee, and enjoy what a cruise is... early morning breezes, the smell of the ocean, the soft breezes, and the early morning sunrise... it is not the same when you have the news blaring about all the deaths, terrorist attacks, and sports scores at 7 am....

He also needs to take a close look at that past guest program as it compares to other lines. REcognize your loyal guests for what they are.

Make those one-time perks for Diamonds, on every cruise. At least a meal in the steakhouse for heavens sakes... No other cruiseline gives its top tier once in a life perks.

I want to be grandfathered into Diamond from my milestone status as I was promised would happen. I was told we would be moved to the highest tier, not downgraded back to Platinum . It would have cost them a lot less to move those Milestones to Diamond , than to grandfather anyone who could reach ten cruises a year later, to Platinum. I have 24 cruises, would have taken number 25 last year but changed that when I heard they were not going to honor this promise. So I am doing number 25 this year, and those who hurried up and booked several 3 day cruises to hit their Platinum status will be getting the same perks as I did. No, I don't cruise for perks, so don't even jump on it as I will ignore those responses. I cruised for years with Carnival before the whole perk thing came about, I was above and beyond the number 10 cruise. And no, for those who want to jump and say i took all short cruises, well you are wrong too so I wont answer those responses either. This and the FTTF had taken away from the whole idea of ViP status. They need another revamp, but it should be done within a few months, not over a period of three year promises.

Carnival's welcoming Bob Dickinson back....

I think this is great news! I had just about given up hope of sailing on Carnival again, not liking all of the "brilliant" changes on Carnival.

My next 4 planned cruises are on another cruise line but maybe there will be improvement with Carnival and I can once again book on what use to be our favorite cruise line.

Downplay it all you want, but Dickinson is a major reason for the success of Carnival. He has been with Carnival in a leadership role almost since its inception, and can be credited with building the brand's reputation with both consumers and the travel industry alike. Dickinson enjoyed respect and trust from the travel community and the same can't be said for Cahill. One of the responsibilities outlined in this press release is the distribution system, severely tarnished by Cahill. Bringing Dickinson back is clearly an indication of how tarnished Carnival has become under its current leadership. Help is clearly needed or Carnival Corp. would not be taking this step. No doubt there is a lack of confidence in the current leadership.

I totally agree. On all counts.

I am all for a change in CCl, I remember sailing Carnival , when most TA”S would try to steer you away with the Walmart of the seas stuff.

I sailed on her ships , tasted her great food and enjoyed good entertainment . I remember comparing her to RCCL, and NCL and thinking wow, a better cruise, better food and a better price at the same time .

Things change and I get that. Today, many lines who were their competitors have caught up and some have surpassed . The only thing that really stayed was the price.. often it’s the cheapest , not every time but most of the time.

So when does a value stop being a value ? for me it was about 3- 6 yrs ago.

I am blessed that I’m able to cruise two / three times a year , and I still sail CCL but its no longer the main vacation, just a filler, a quickie a cheap getaway… which is all good.

I would love to see changes, I do think to get those changes its going to cost and I’m all for that.

I couldn’t care less about the downgrade in their loyalty/perk program , weather I get free laundry or 2 bags. I do know there are a lot of people on here that are all consumed with that change.

I also know there are a lot of people in the industry ( TA’s ) who are sideways as they march to a direct model , and perhaps they were to quick but eventually as the customers set changes with age the majority of all cruisers will be going direct.

So in the end I do believe they can get better it will add cost , and I m all for that I just hope the cost they add will be for the end consumer, the on board experience.. the food, entertainment and ship innovation. Not silly laundry or TA commissions

One can hope, dream … but in the end so many line to choose and so little time to sail them all

The basket now consaints Breathe Right Strips and soap. Thats it. WEll from my recent Breeze Cruise.

On my Dream cruise, I only had several boxes of Arm & Hammer toothpaste that were set to expire in one month. I think they were trying to get rid of them!

I think this is great news! I had just about given up hope of sailing on Carnival again, not liking all of the "brilliant" changes on Carnival.

My next 4 planned cruises are on another cruise line but maybe there will be improvement with Carnival and I can once again book on what use to be our favorite cruise line.

This is exactly the same for us. I realized that the direction Carnival was heading is not the type of cruise we like. I booked my next cruise on NCL with a great Southern Caribbean itinerary (from Florida) with a great spa.

What I would like to see on Carnival that would bring me back:

1. Better entertainment. I wasn't happy about the one dark night on the Dream plus passenger entertainment on some other nights. I prefer the Broadway-style shows with singers and dancers and a live band.

2. Bring back the old dining room waiter/asst. waiter system. This new system with one head waiter and 2 asst. waiters is not working. We barely saw any of the waiters because they were too busy! No time to ask for missing baked potato condiments, etc. let alone time for even the most basic talking ("What would you recommend?" not a life history).

3. Drink waiter in the dining room is pathetic. You shouldn't have to wait until dessert for someone to ask you if you want a drink. We started carrying in our own drinks because it was so bad.

4. Lido was WAY TOO LOUD. I don't care about DJ vs. live band, but turn the volume down. I stayed away from the Lido on our last trip because it was

so loud.

Entertainment and food were our big disappointments last cruise. That is why we are moving to other lines who still value those things.

Maggie

Archived