On Location...... This sounds Great!!

sail7seas

On Maasdam Montreal to Boston, a piper and soldier from the Halifax Citadel boarded in Quebec City and stayed aboard until Halifax. They did a presentation in the theater the first night showing a video on the Citadel, giving a talk about the history and playing a few tunes on the pipes. The two (apparently college students) were around the ship talking to people and posing for photos the next few days. When we entered the harbor in Halifax, they were in the Crow's Nest (they were originally supposed to be on deck but the weather was bad) giving a talk on Halifax history and pointing out historic locations we could see from the ship. It was a very worthwhile experience.

Two sisters boarded in Charlottetown, PEI and performed that night in the theater. They had apparently won some sort of Cape Breton music championship and performed on piano, guitar and fiddle while singing and dancing. I know I was not alone in thinking this was better than some of the shows put on by the HAL performers.

In addition to performances, there was a drink of the day reflecting the port we were visiting, cooking demonstrations of local foods and some sales (what else is new?) of jewelry and artwork based on where we were visiting. HAL is dead serious about putting together a special program to bring local culture on board and I believe many people enjoyed it.

I like the concept, depends on how it is carried out.

As someone mentioned, this concept has been used numerous times on Grand Voyages and World Cruises, although only for portions of the cruises.

On my April-May repositioning cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver, for the first "half" of the cruise (approximate) there was a man who played the steel drums by the pool and every afternoon for several hours all interested folks were invited to learn how to play them on the Lido deck. Some folks were there every day it seemed. I wanted to go by taking a rest in the sun was more of a draw for me apparently. I never made it but could hear folks who did. With simple songs they became quite proficient.

I'm not sure it's so important who mentioned it where or when. :D

I'm really interested to hear people's thoughts about this new program. To me,

that would be far more pertinent and of interest.

JMO....

I think it sounds like what river cruise companies do. You get local food offerings, wines, beers and local entertainment is brought on board for after dinner entertainment. It's pretty neat.

There's usually a discussion of the particular region from occupations, lifestyles, economics, culture, etc.

I was on Zandaam in March and this wasn't part of the routine yet. At least not named this.

Recent Alaska cruise:

On Location items in the program:

Smooth Sailing Presentation: Make the most of your lAlaska Cruise

North to Alaska Sailaway party, with appretizers

Creative Crafts: Colors of the Northwest, paper flowers

Great Alaska Deck sale

Cooking Show: Halibut, Yukon Bread pudding

Gems of Alaska seminar

Alaska Beer tasting

Alaska's Fire and Ice talk

Klondike Gld Rush Dinner - Lido

Scenic Photography Tips and Tricks

Alaskan Salmon Bake (not BBQ)

Polar Bear Plunge

Wonders of Glacier bay Alaska Native Culture

Cooking Show: simply salmon

Explore Alaska talk

Some new, some old. HAL is making an effort here.

Or my #21?

I have now. :) Thanks, Ruth.

That is the sort of thing I was hoping to read.

Did you see my post #24?

Yes, thanks, John. :)

On Maasdam Montreal to Boston, a piper and soldier from the Halifax Citadel boarded in Quebec City and stayed aboard until Halifax. They did a presentation in the theater the first night showing a video on the Citadel, giving a talk about the history and playing a few tunes on the pipes. The two (apparently college students) were around the ship talking to people and posing for photos the next few days. When we entered the harbor in Halifax, they were in the Crow's Nest (they were originally supposed to be on deck but the weather was bad) giving a talk on Halifax history and pointing out historic locations we could see from the ship. It was a very worthwhile experience.

Two sisters boarded in Charlottetown, PEI and performed that night in the theater. They had apparently won some sort of Cape Breton music championship and performed on piano, guitar and fiddle while singing and dancing. I know I was not alone in thinking this was better than some of the shows put on by the HAL performers.

In addition to performances, there was a drink of the day reflecting the port we were visiting, cooking demonstrations of local foods and some sales (what else is new?) of jewelry and artwork based on where we were visiting. HAL is dead serious about putting together a special program to bring local culture on board and I believe many people enjoyed it.

That sounds fun. I'd enjoy watching the Cape Breton sisters. I like that music.

Recent Alaska cruise:

North to Alaska Sailaway party, with appretizers

Great Alaska Deck sale

Cooking Show: Halibut, Yukon Bread pudding

Gems of Alaska seminar

Alaska Beer tasting

Alaska's Fire and Ice talk

Klondike Gld Rush Dinner - Lido

Alaskan Salmon Bake (not BBQ)

Polar Bear Plunge

Wonders of Glacier bay Alaska Native Culture

Explore Alaska talk

Nice list. There are some things there I likely would enjoy.

I hope cruisers participate so HAL will continue to offer these things.

I saw the mention of steel drums above. All fun.

Recent Alaska cruise:

North to Alaska Sailaway party, with appretizers have had that for years

Great Alaska Deck sale It's on every cruise - for years

Cooking Show: Halibut, Yukon Bread pudding -- same oldd - same old

Gems of Alaska seminar Not new -- gems even in the Caribbean andd wherever the ships are

Alaska Beer tasting The last few years there have been beer tastings in the Caribbean, Alaska, full transit cruises, etc.

Alaska's Fire and Ice talk not new

Klondike Gld Rush Dinner - Lido not new

Alaskan Salmon Bake (not BBQ) has gone on for years

Polar Bear Plunge It's been on many of our Alaskan cruises

Wonders of Glacier bay Alaska Native Culture Always have had that

Explore Alaska talk

There is really not anything there that hasn't been on our Alaskan cruises.

Sounds interesting. It would be great if they started on our October Atlantic Coast cruise with whole live main lobsters on-board!:rolleyes:

That would be some very nice "Local Fair.":)

That I love! :D

There is really not anything there that hasn't been on our Alaskan cruises.

Wow,,,,,,,

You're being really tough on them.

They can't win for trying. :eek: :D

I'm trying to be a bit more positive. :cool:

It was announced on our 2013 World Cruise that Bruce Scudder (long time HAL cruise director primarily on the Amsterdam for their Grand Voyages) was promoted to oversee the new "On Location" program that HAL was rolling out.

I think Bruce said he would be going to the Volendam while he was working on this roll out. Bruce has been around for a long time but for those of you who haven't sailed with him....he is one of the best (if not the best) cruise director I have ever sailed with and he will bring a wealth of knowledge to this program.

I think this is a lovely idea. When I read about this, I feared it was just another cash grab but it sounds more like an opportunity to consistently offer a local flair on all cruises.

In our experience albeit mostly on Princess, there are far more interesting onboard lectures and entertainment when travelling to some of the more exotic ports (such as Asia). I've often thought it would be great while in the Caribbean as well.

I've enjoyed reading about some of the recent examples, thanks for the post!

Archived