Chena Hot Springs

Rosieo

We will be touring in a motor home and are trying to decide if we want to go up to Fairbanks. My question is about Chena Hot Springs. Is it a tourist trap or is it all natural and would it be worth the trip up to Fairbanks to spend come time there. Also any other good suggestions for Fairbanks?

I would not call it a tourist trap. It is a small resort in a rustic fashion. They have some rooms there, but we brought our trailer. They have a nice restaurant with a real Alaska bush feel.

The hot springs have been built into a natural looking pond that has a walkway leading to it. There is also an indoor pool it the weather is not conducive.

We went in mid September and at night it was close to freezing. They have a locker room for changing and towels available, but stepping out from the locker room into the air was quite the jolt-that is until you sink into the water....

Although it is a commercial enterprise it is , as I said, rustic. You are really almost in the middle of nowhere.

If you have the time and want to experience the hot springs, I say go for it.

Chena Hot Springs is something not to be missed. The outdoor pool is man made but it is surrounded with rocks and very "natural" looking. Nothing better then it being cold outside and sitting in hot hot springs. Driving around Fairbanks is nice, the university has a nice museum. The river downtown is fun to see, a lot of people canoe it in the summer. Fairbanks has a lot of summer activities, like Midnight Sun Festivities with concerts at night. Just remember in the summer that far north it does not get dark. It will be 11:00 at night and look like 2:00 in the afternoon.

I also don't find the Chena Hot Springs Resort to be "touristy" at all and I certainly don't think it is a "tourist trap." Now the Santa Claus House in North Pole is what I would describe as a "tourist trap."

The springs are at the end of the Chena Hot Springs Road. While the first twenty-two or so miles are through subdivisions, the road then enters the Chena River State Recreation Area, which is a 250,000 acre state park. There are a number of hiking trails, campgrounds and access to the Chena River. This is also prime moose habitat, so if you go, look for them and try not to hit one when driving. If you google Chena River State Recreation Area you should find more information.

It is always hard to give recommendations as to what to do in Fairbanks to someone who hasn't indicated their interests. Without knowing the interests of the OP we always take our visitors to the Museum of the North, and also throughly enjoy the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.

Northern Aurora we like out of the way places. We like to stay away from anything where there are hoards of tourists. We like to see the local lifestyle. Anything like hiking, boating, fishing, kayaking, wildlife that isn't in cages are things we are interested in.

Depending on how many times you stop for photos, if you stop for lunch and whether you get stuck behind a slow motorhome who won't pull over and let other vehicles pass, the drive from Denali to Fairbanks will be about 2 to 2.5 hours. Chena Hot Springs Resort is located at about mile 55 of the Chena Hot Springs Road (actually, at the end of the road), so it is north east of Fairbanks. To reach Chena Hot Springs Road, you would drive through Fairbanks to the Steese Hwy, and then proceed north about four or so miles to the intersection between the two.

Northern Aurora we like out of the way places. We like to stay away from anything where there are hoards of tourists. We like to see the local lifestyle. Anything like hiking, boating, fishing, kayaking, wildlife that isn't in cages are things we are interested in.

The Alaska Public Lands Information Centers may be of help to you in planning your trip. The one in Fairbanks is located in the Morris Thompson Cultural Center, which also houses the Fairbanks Convention and Visitor's Bureau. The website for the APLIC is http://www.alaskacenters.gov.

In my opinion, I would suggest you figure out your entire route and places of interest, rather than selecting "Chena Hot Springs", which is way out there IF you don't have the overall time. I would not be heading to Fairbanks, just for the Hot Springs.

Again, only my opinion, and having been there several times. I do miss the prior owners who, I preferred. It is also a winter destination for me, not much going on for me in the summer. The water is "strong", bring a suit you don't care about, if you are going in the water.

Have some good plans for Fairbanks, and spend time there. I would not make Chena Hot Springs a priority otherwise.

Allow enough time in your overall itinerary, don't underestimate time and distances.

With a RV don't count on more than a 8 mpg average, so could be an expensive trip re transportation.

A lot to consider.

In my opinion, I would suggest you figure out your entire route and places of interest, rather than selecting "Chena Hot Springs", which is way out there IF you don't have the overall time. I would not be heading to Fairbanks, just for the Hot Springs.

Again, only my opinion, and having been there several times. I do miss the prior owners who, I preferred. It is also a winter destination for me, not much going on for me in the summer. The water is "strong", bring a suit you don't care about, if you are going in the water.

Have some good plans for Fairbanks, and spend time there. I would not make Chena Hot Springs a priority otherwise.

Allow enough time in your overall itinerary, don't underestimate time and distances.

With a RV don't count on more than a 8 mpg average, so could be an expensive trip re transportation.

A lot to consider.

I am leaning towards not going up to Fairbanks. The last time we were in Alaska we didn't go there. Maybe we will spend more time down south a little.

The last time we were in Alaska we traveled in a motor home and for us that is the only way to go. I love not having to drag luggage in and out of hotel rooms, having bon fires at night and being able to make breakfast and lunch in the motor home. Dinner is always out. We deal with the same motor home company each time and get a really good price and we don't have to pay mileage.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Northern Aurora can you give me an approximate distance from let's say Denali to Chena Hot Springs? It is it right in Fairbanks, north or south or Fairbanks?

Google Maps is my go-to source for all distance, routing, and time data. A very useful site.

DON

• 3 weeks later...

hello.....do you fly to Alaska and rent the motorhome there? I have just started looking at that option vs a cruise/land tour pkg. I remember seeing something on a website for motorhomes that had great pricing for one way rentals to bring them north to Alaska or southbound at the end of the season...but I didn't bookmark it..:(...if it is allowed, can you please let me know who you book thru for the motorhome? thanks

I am leaning towards not going up to Fairbanks. The last time we were in Alaska we didn't go there. Maybe we will spend more time down south a little.

The last time we were in Alaska we traveled in a motor home and for us that is the only way to go. I love not having to drag luggage in and out of hotel rooms, having bon fires at night and being able to make breakfast and lunch in the motor home. Dinner is always out. We deal with the same motor home company each time and get a really good price and we don't have to pay mileage.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

• 1 month later...
On the last day of our cruise tour we have a long day in Fairbanks. I'm thinking of renting a car early and driving out to the springs. Could I do this and still be able to make our 9:30 PM flight?

Does your "last day" have any cruisetour touring involved? If it doesn't certainly you have plenty of time. I would include several stops and activities actually, if you get an early start.

Archived