Taking wine on board in Sydney

Hello all

Apologies if this question has been asked before !

HAL normally allow you to take wine on board that you have bought ashore, both on embarkation and at ports along the way (in civilized quantities !).

Anyway, looking at the Sydney Ports info it seems to say that alcohol cannot be taken on board at any time : http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/18298/Cruise_Terminal_Info_sheet_Jan_2013_FINAL.pdf

Does anyone have recent experience of taking wine onboard any of the cruise lines that normally allow (eg HAL, P&O UK, etc) at White Bay ?

HAL's wine list is sadly geared towards US wines and so I was hoping to have some nice big Aussie reds on our upcoming cruise to NZ !

Cheers

Roberta

We don't drink...but we had gingerbeer bottles and pepsimax.....the staff scanning our bag told us to take it to the table over there....we look around and see the table ...and told the guy.....no need its not alchol.....so they seem to be watching but it is/was in a loose bag...

Sent from Jocelyn"s Samsung Galaxy Note via Tapatalk 2

Hello all

Apologies if this question has been asked before !

HAL normally allow you to take wine on board that you have bought ashore, both on embarkation and at ports along the way (in civilized quantities !).

Anyway, looking at the Sydney Ports info it seems to say that alcohol cannot be taken on board at any time : http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/18298/Cruise_Terminal_Info_sheet_Jan_2013_FINAL.pdf

Does anyone have recent experience of taking wine onboard any of the cruise lines that normally allow (eg HAL, P&O UK, etc) at White Bay ?

HAL's wine list is sadly geared towards US wines and so I was hoping to have some nice big Aussie reds on our upcoming cruise to NZ !

Cheers

Roberta

t think that links a bit out dated....in regards to taking on wine it depends on the cruise line except p&o AUS as its not allowed, at the OPT we have dropped our luggage off at 8am and not 9.30am cruising on princess

they do have a bottle shop at Circular Quay station saves you bringing some from home

We also had no trouble taking the two bottles of wine (allowed by RCL) on board in Sydney. As long as it was in our carry on bags - no issue. The people who did have trouble were the ones who packed the wine in their check-in bags - those bags ended up in the naughty room.

We were on the Oosterdam out of Barangaroo in March this year to the South Pacific and will be on her again in late September to New Zealand out of Circular Quay (at this point).

We took on board one dozen bottles of wine, no problem. Split them between our two carry on bags all the way from Adelaide, through Sydney Airport and through Customs at the Port.

Intend doing the same for the New Zealand trip as like you we want to take what we consider good wine on board, not mediocre mass market stuff. Though this time we might be taking less initially because in New Zealand any Supermarket has a good assortment of excellent NZ wines so we might pick up some at the Ports on our way around.

You are also right about the wines on board, very mediocre and ridiculously priced for what they are. We purchased wines direct from boutique wineries in the months before we departed (half the fun :) doing all that wine tasting ) at a reasonable rate, then you pay the $18 corkage so it keeps your costs quite reasonable. And of course if you drink it in your stateroom - no corkage, I can see myself now in 135 odd days, sitting on my balcony sipping a nice New Zealand Pinot :D

In this age of political correctness and pandering to the minorities why is it that some lines have strict policies on no alcohol being brought on board and others allow in most cases 2 bottles.

However, if my choice of beverage is beer or spirits I cannot take either on board.

Where is the logic a six pack of boutique beer has approx the same alcohol content by volume as wine.

Perhaps more people drink beer than wine and would have a greater bottom line effect on there profits.

Thanks all for your helpful remarks, looking forward to our trip to Australa and NZ. Some sunshine, some good wine amd good company will set us up for yet another gloomy Scottish winter. (Apologies for the depressing note, still raining here in Edinburgh ! )

Holland America Line permits you to take on board as much wine as you wish.

Buy more supplies at each port and take on board.

At Port Chalmers there is a supermarket just along the street from where the ship will berth, you should be able to get some decent NZ Pinot Noir, look for Gibbston Valley brand or other labels from the Central Otago wineries.

Can't take wine or any alcohol on Carnival Spirit (OPT) - when we went the other week I had 4 bottles of Bundaburg Soft drinks - the guy doing the scanning asked what was in the bottles (they were in a small cooler in my carry on) when I told him soft drink - that was ok, and it was only soft drink. So yes they are watching.

Archived