Night Light on Island Princess

cruisincnuks

We've booked an inside cabin on Island Princess and wonder if need to bring our own night light. Also do they supply a power bar or should we bring one along?

It's our first time sailing with Princess and our first time in an inside cabin. Looking forward to a good cruise!:)

An inside cabin has no light when lights off, so a nightlight is a good idea.

When I haven't brought one, I have turned on the TV at night for the channel showing the view that shows on the webcam, and put it on mute (there is music). This provides a "window" to the outside.

You can also buy some small battery operated candles and use them as a night light. They are cheap and no power strip required. We usually put one in the bathroom at night and it works well.

Vinnie

Ditto. We buy the scented battery candles. So far one battery has lasted a two week cruise, but barely. Bring along a spare battery just in case.

I do the battery operated tea light candles for night lights ... on on the desk/dresser in the cabin and one on the counter in the bathroom. Not enough to wake me up so much that I can't get back to sleep, like turningon the bathroom light used to do, but enough to find my way to the bathroom and find what I need in the bathroom.

Instead of a power strip for extra outlets, I just take a 3-outlet plug to plug into the wall outlet. Plus there is an available outlet behind the TV, and I just plug in the Kindle power cord up there and, for me it's a little inconvenient to get to, so I leave it plugged in there for when my Kindle needs a charge.

As far as power strips go, it depends on what kind of a gadget nut you are as to how many more receptacles you'll need. In my case I take an octopus-style power strip to handle all my goodies.

Be aware that in the bathroom, there is a low capacity outlet primarily used for electric shavers. The receptacle does not accept polarized plugs (one blade is wider than the other), so check the blades and bring an adapter if you need it.

In my experience the bathroom outlet's power form is pretty marginal too. It would not reliably drive our Water-Pik (dental health nuts too) which is a motor-driven device like an electric razor but does take a little bit more power. It does however, keep our electric toothbrush charged.

We stayed in an inside on our last cruise and found that light does leak through under the main cabin door. Also, if you charge stuff on the desk overnight, the charging lights can be seen pretty well with the mirrors that reflect light around.

I found that the charging lights and the door provided enough light to orient oneself. As for the bathroom, a small light might be nice there.

Note that the outlet in the bath is current limited to 10 ma. That is done because there is no GFI on the outlets and 10 ma is a safe limit for any electrical shock.

I plugged my electric razor in it (the razor cord has a charging unit in it and it specifically said it was limited to 10 ma). It worked fine and I even left it plugged in for the day and it charged the razor battery.

A small light that uses less than 10 ma will work in the bath outlet. Equipment using more power will not-which is why they put the hair drier by the desk.

I bring the night light from my bathroom, and plug it in the cabin's bathroom outlet. I also bring along a good power strip. That handles my iPad, camera, and laptop, plus phone.

Even though we never stay in an inside cabin, we always use a night light. You can buy battery operated lights at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They come in a pack of three for I believe $12.99. We've used them for years. We place ours on the upper shelf in the closet; opposite the bathroom door.

In my experience the bathroom outlet's power form is pretty marginal too. It would not reliably drive our Water-Pik (dental health nuts too) which is a motor-driven device like an electric razor but does take a little bit more power.

I have switched to the Panasonic irrigator for traveling and recommend it highly. It uses a pair of AA batteries. It is under $37US at Amazon (Panasonic Oral Irrigator EW-DJ10-A) It is does the job and packs well.

I got a small, light, plug-in power outlet that has four USB ports. Just about all of my devices now, including my camera, have a USB end to the power cord. It works great and takes up very little weight or room.

As for night lights, I have inexpensive flat night lights that glow with enough light so you can see but won't wake you up completely.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371069981.704858.jpg.92acf4e5fcf43f63d2bced87c090406f.jpg

Leave the bathroom light on and close the door. There is a big enough gap under the door to light the way.
Fine during the day but that would drive me nuts and wake me up completely if I got up in the middle of the night to "go." Same for leaving the TV on: flickering light is annoying to me. Maybe I'm unusual but I would prefer a soft 'glow' light.

I have switched to the Panasonic irrigator for traveling and recommend it highly. It uses a pair of AA batteries. It is under $37US at Amazon (Panasonic Oral Irrigator EW-DJ10-A) It is does the job and packs well.

Thanks!

Fine during the day but that would drive me nuts and wake me up completely if I got up in the middle of the night to "go." Same for leaving the TV on: flickering light is annoying to me. Maybe I'm unusual but I would prefer a soft 'glow' light.

I agree, if I went into the bathroom in the middle of the night and turned that light on I'd immediately be totally awake and wouldn't get back to sleep until the next night! My nightlight is very similar to Pam's and has a soft aqua glow.

The glow sticks from the dollar store work great as night lights. They come in all sizes and hold the "glow" for almost 24 hours. I buy the ones that are 2 to a package. They provide just enough light for when you get up in the night...for whatever reason.

We've booked an inside cabin on Island Princess and wonder if need to bring our own night light. Also do they supply a power bar or should we bring one along?

It's our first time sailing with Princess and our first time in an inside cabin. Looking forward to a good cruise!:)

A night light can be helpful especially if your in an inside cabin. For my cruise in May to Alaska I went to a local hardware store and they took an adapter and the key person cut and filed it down and it worked in the bathroom, helpful to have one there, as the plug in the bathroom is a non-polarized plug so my adapter worked. My cost $1.60. Here's my photo of the bathroom plug and one with the night light plugged. Night light was a plus to have in the bathroom. It keep the adapter and night light together for my next cruise.

DSC_0083_zpsc37116ec.jpg

DSC_0084_zps419a91a4.jpg

Tom:)

Archived