Please help me order my day in Rome

sweetpea222

Here's the plan for our day in Rome, a busy Friday in July. Please give advice where possible. We're travelling with 12 year old children and relatives, so we're trying to keep it relatively simple. Those we're travelling with have seen the Vatican before, so we're not including that this trip.

The Spirit docks from 8 am-7 pm. We hope to catch the 8:41 am train, buying a BIRG ticket and validating it. If we are up and off the ship immediately, there should be plenty of time to get to the train station (with all the million other people :cool:)

We plan to take the train to Ostiense Stn, and then transfer to the blue metro line. Is it pretty straightforward, getting from the train to the metro and finding the right direction?

We will be purchasing the P. Hill/Colo/Forum tickets in advance. Considering our travel plans, should we get off the metro at the Circo Massimo or Colloseo stop? Would it make sense to go through Palantine Hill first, making our way in the direction of the Colosseum? Where, exactly, would we enter P. Hill if we get off at C. Massimo?

We plan to walk through P. Hill, then enter the Colosseum, then make our way through the Forum. After that, the plan was to see the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain, with a stop for pizza and gelato. We were aiming to take the 4:30 pm train from S. Pietro station back to Civitavecchia, arriving at 5:11. That still gives us another train (lv 5:03 arr. 6:11 pm) just in case something goes awry.

Would it make sense to head for the Trevi Fountain after the Forum, for a break for lunch/gelato and a rest. If so, and we're tired, is there transit that will take us near the Pantheon and then on towards the Vatican and the S. Pietro stn? I am not entirely clear on the buses, and was I dreaming or is there a tram that tourists can use through some parts of that area? What would be your recommendation for getting from Trevi to S. Pietro, with hopefully a stop at the Pantheon?

Please, any advice and details you can share would be wonderful. I have a "cheat sheet" for each stop that lists trains, bus numbers, timetables, etc. I like as much detail as possible (I'm wired that way) :D

We plan to take the train to Ostiense Stn, and then transfer to the blue metro line. Is it pretty straightforward, getting from the train to the metro and finding the right direction?

Be sure that you are on the lower level, in the passageway that connects the tracks to one another. On this level, underneath the station, you'll find the tunnel that connects to the metro station.

We will be purchasing the P. Hill/Colo/Forum tickets in advance. Considering our travel plans, should we get off the metro at the Circo Massimo or Colloseo stop? Would it make sense to go through Palantine Hill first, making our way in the direction of the Colosseum? Where, exactly, would we enter P. Hill if we get off at C. Massimo?
If you wish to see Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum before the Colosseum, you can get off at Circo Massimo and enter at Palatine Hill. If you really just want to go to the Colosseum stay on to the Colosseo stop. If you are pressed for time, a stop at Palatine probably doesn't work into your plans ... it's a large site that requires quite a bit of walking and some uphill climbing.

Would it make sense to head for the Trevi Fountain after the Forum, for a break for lunch/gelato and a rest. If so, and we're tired, is there transit that will take us near the Pantheon and then on towards the Vatican and the S. Pietro stn? I am not entirely clear on the buses, and was I dreaming or is there a tram that tourists can use through some parts of that area? What would be your recommendation for getting from Trevi to S. Pietro, with hopefully a stop at the Pantheon?

No tram that does exactly what you want, sorry. The place to use transit would be from the Colosseo to Trevi, you can easily walk from Trevi to the Pantheon along the pedestrian path. You get the bus from the stops in front of the Colosseo metro station. Check the bus signs, they tell you the upcoming stops. You'd be looking for any bus that has stops on Corso and Tritone after Fori Imperiali. I know that #85 covers this route, there may be others.

After visiting the Pantheon if you are ready to head back to the port, rather than go to the S. Pietro station I'd walk a couple of blocks south to Largo Argentina and get on the #8 tram (the route has just recently changed, but you'll see the tracks and just look for the new stop near the Area Sacra) to the Roma Trastevere station.

If you're not ready to leave yet at this point you could continue on to Piazza Navona along the pedestrian path. After this, walk south to Via Vittorio Emanuele II and pick up the #64 bus at any stop; this bus line ends at the Roma S. Pietro station.

Here's the plan for our day in Rome, a busy Friday in July. Please give advice where possible. We're travelling with 12 year old children and relatives, so we're trying to keep it relatively simple. Those we're travelling with have seen the Vatican before, so we're not including that this trip.

The Spirit docks from 8 am-7 pm. We hope to catch the 8:41 am train, buying a BIRG ticket and validating it. If we are up and off the ship immediately, there should be plenty of time to get to the train station (with all the million other people :cool:)

Look for signs that direct you to Metro Linea B. The Metro icon looks like this: 28px-Metropolitana_di_Roma_B.svg.png The name of the metro stop is Pyramide, not Ostiense.

You will want to take the metro in the direction of Rebibbia. Once you get to the metro station, there are always maps around to ensure you are getting the metro headed in the right direction, just take a moment to look and be sure.

I don't find much difference between getting off at Circo Massimo vs getting off at Colosseo. I prefer Colosseo as it is very easy to orient yourself. You walk up the steps and out of the station and the Colosseum is right in front of you. Just walk to the right of it (heading around the Arch of Constantine and onto the street behind it) and the Palatine Hill ticket office will be on your right in a couple of blocks.

Palatine Hill is a bit confusing on your own, be sure you have a map and a guidebook. (I was just there .... the directional information is terrible and there is no map given with your ticket.) You could do either the Forum or the Colosseum afterwards.

We plan to walk through P. Hill, then enter the Colosseum, then make our way through the Forum. After that, the plan was to see the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain, with a stop for pizza and gelato. We were aiming to take the 4:30 pm train from S. Pietro station back to Civitavecchia, arriving at 5:11. That still gives us another train (lv 5:03 arr. 6:11 pm) just in case something goes awry.

Since you are not going to the Vatican, I would propose instead that you walk from the Forum to the Pantheon, see it, and have lunch/gelato nearby there. (Or have the lunch first, then see the Pantheon if that timing works better for you...)

After this, walk to Trevi Fountain, then take the metro (Linea A, red line) from Trevi to Termini Station and catch your train there. I'd recommend this in your case because you're more likely to get a seat on the train if you board at Termini if it's a busy tourist day and you're headed back to port during "prime time" when everyone else will be doing the same.

Please, any advice and details you can share would be wonderful. I have a "cheat sheet" for each stop that lists trains, bus numbers, timetables, etc. I like as much detail as possible (I'm wired that way) :D

My suggestions above.

Thanks, both of you!

Ok, so if we decide to take the metro from Pyramide to Colloseo, would it make more sense to see the Colosseum first, then decide if we have time to see P. Hill or just walk through the Forum in the direction of the Pantheon where will have lunch and a break. If we decided to take transit, would we have to double back to the stop by the Colosseum?

What I think is confusing me the most, is I don't have a sense of the entrances/exits for these places. If we leave the Colosseum, is the entrance to the Forum easily visible and then can you walk through the Forum in the direction of the Pantheon and exit out at that end?

I was trying to plan our route in a way that makes sense, without doubling back. We can then move ourselves from place to place more efficiently.

Termini sounds like a better option for the ride home. What time would you suggest we head there, in order to catch that train? I have read that it is a huge station and can be confusing finding your track. We'd need to leave extra time for this, I'm assuming.

Again, many thanks. This is really helpful.

Thanks, both of you!

Ok, so if we decide to take the metro from Pyramide to Colloseo, would it make more sense to see the Colosseum first, then decide if we have time to see P. Hill or just walk through the Forum in the direction of the Pantheon where will have lunch and a break. If we decided to take transit, would we have to double back to the stop by the Colosseum?

What I think is confusing me the most, is I don't have a sense of the entrances/exits for these places. If we leave the Colosseum, is the entrance to the Forum easily visible and then can you walk through the Forum in the direction of the Pantheon and exit out at that end?

I was trying to plan our route in a way that makes sense, without doubling back. We can then move ourselves from place to place more efficiently.

Termini sounds like a better option for the ride home. What time would you suggest we head there, in order to catch that train? I have read that it is a huge station and can be confusing finding your track. We'd need to leave extra time for this, I'm assuming.

Again, many thanks. This is really helpful.

First, I think it will help you to visually familiarize with the Roman Forum, and it's entrances and exits so here are a couple useful maps:

http://podcasts.ricksteves.com/pdfs/forum.pdf

http://www.wanderingmoments.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Rome_Map_IMG_6200.jpg

As for getting to the Pantheon, if you exit on the north side near Piazza Venezia (Capitoline Hill), it's probably a 3/4 km walk. If you exit on the south side near Palatine Hill, it's a longer walk--perhaps 2.5 km? Might want to consider a taxi ride to the Pantheon from there.

I think one thing you need to consider is: after doing the Colisseum, what specifically will be your walking path through the forum? The Roman Forum is a huge, scattered place so if you're planning in this much detail anyhow, I highly recommend you plan and know your specific walking itinerary now. Here is one person's walking map: http://www.everytrail.com/guide/roman-forum-coliseum-and-capitoline-hill/map. I'm not necessarily recommending this specific walk (in fact, I don't think you can enter at Capitoline Hill anymore as per this map!), but it gives you a few ideas for logistical and planning purposes.

Personally, I would not go up to Termini for the return unless that happens to be the closest station.

On the one hand, that's where the train starts so you're more likely to get a seat there. On the other hand, it leaves there earliest so you've got to give up more of your day, and most of the time it's not the closest station, so you've got to give up even more time to get there. It's up to you.

As for the Colosseo, Forum and Palatine, there are two entrances and two exits at the Forum. One entrance is from Palatine Hill and the other is from Via dei Fori Imperiali, near where Via Cavour ends. A google map can be a big help in understanding this.

The two exits from the Forum are near the Colosseum (exit only, no entry here) and at the northwestern corner near the Capitoline hill (also exit only).

The Palatine Hill entrance is on Via di San Gregorio, one block south of the Colosseum.

Personally, I would not go up to Termini for the return unless that happens to be the closest station.

On the one hand, that's where the train starts so you're more likely to get a seat there. On the other hand, it leaves there earliest so you've got to give up more of your day, and most of the time it's not the closest station, so you've got to give up even more time to get there. It's up to you.

Yeah, I know. But if they end up at Trevi, Termini is closest anyway....and I figured with 12-year-olds in tow, they might be happiest with a better chance of getting seats.

To the OP:

At Termini, it's not so much that finding the track is hard -- but it's a bit of a walk.

On the map shown here:

http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms-file/immagini/grandistazioni/RM_map_club_eurostar_533.jpg

If you take the metro from Trevi, you'd probably enter the station from the top left side from the area labeled Piazza dei Cinquecento. You'd walk through the Atrio and the Galleria Centrale until you arrive at the tracks (Binario). You'll see the first 24 tracks laid out in front of you, 1-24 from left to right (you can see the faint numbers on the diagram).

HOWEVER, the regionale trains to Civitavecchia usually depart from the auxiliary tracks (25-29). You can just barely see an indication for these tracks to the left hand side of Track 24 in the diagram. You have to walk that way, past Track 24, until you reach the auxiliary tracks.

What I'd suggest you do is to wait until your track (binario) is posted on the large, overhead electronic signs at the head of the tracks, but scope out where you are likely to be headed and be ready to book it.

I can't recall if there are signs out by the auxiliary tracks also. If so, you could go ahead and make your way there, so you have the jump on others. ;) But be sure you confirm the track. With a BIRG ticket, you won't have to worry about validation, having done that in the morning.

What would be the advantage of getting off the train at Ostiense than Termini? Termini seems closer to the Colosseum. A walk down Via Cavour to Via del Fagutale and, they are there. Or, take the Metro B line from Termini to Colosseum?

I'm not disputing what my two experts are saying, I'm just wondering about this...

What would be the advantage of getting off the train at Ostiense than Termini? Termini seems closer to the Colosseum. A walk down Via Cavour to Via del Fagutale and, they are there. Or, take the Metro B line from Termini to Colosseum?

I'm not disputing what my two experts are saying, I'm just wondering about this...

It takes 15 - 20 minutes for the train to travel from Ostiense to Termini, it enters the station very, very slowly (has to do with the traffic entering/exiting that station), so it's faster to get off earlier. Also, at Termini it's a three block walk from the auxiliary tracks where the regional train ends to the main station, where the metro is.

For example, the 8:02 from Civitavecchia arrives at Ostiense at 9:08. A two minute walk through the underground passage puts you at the Piramide station.

The same train arrives at Termini at 9:23. A five minute (or more) walk to the station and the metro.

Once you're at the metro stations the timing is about the same, so you're comparing waiting for the metro train at 9:10 (Ostiense) to 9:28 (Termini), more or less. Not a big deal, but on a short port day every minute counts.

It takes 15 - 20 minutes for the train to travel from Ostiense to Termini, it enters the station very, very slowly (has to do with the traffic entering/exiting that station), so it's faster to get off earlier. Also, at Termini it's a three block walk from the auxiliary tracks where the regional train ends to the main station, where the metro is.

Thanks. I thought the Ostiense trains diverted and didn't actually go to Termini on the way into town. Shows you what I know. I've only ever gotten on/off at Termini, so I just learned something new. I'll keep that in mind for next October!!

Considering the time of day leaving, if the train is full the train might not stop at S. Pietro station or a small number of passengers will be allowed on. Read Tom's port guide for details and maps as to stations.

I would leave from the main station, as you will have available seats and be assured that you can board the train.

Considering the time of day leaving, if the train is full the train might not stop at S. Pietro station or a small number of passengers will be allowed on. Read Tom's port guide for details and maps as to stations.

I would leave from the main station, as you will have available seats and be assured that you can board the train.

While the site you reference may have some good information, I've found it to be woefully lacking (and at times inaccurate) where Rome is concerned. There is very little actual information on Rome itself other than the Vatican.

I also don't particularly like some of the practices the site creator has used here on CC to promote that site. Neither does CC, as they've blocked the name of his site ..... :rolleyes:

With all ports, I always encourage people to try to validate any information you find on the internet from several different sources -- including information given here!

Wow, Thanks so much for all the info and the links. I will take a closer look tonight and then plan a walking route, as suggested. I think that makes the most sense.

Yes, we plan to end our day near the Trevi Fountain, so if it is a simple metro ride to Termini, we'll just plan to leave from there. Thanks for the detailed description of the Termini station and how far away those tracks could be. If we did head towards the auxiliary tracks immediately, are there electronic signboards in that area as well, showing the track numbers? How fast after the number is shown, does the train then depart? Two hot and tired 12 year olds doesn't make for an easy run through a train station, so best to be prepared. :D

I think I have a pretty good idea of how to plan the day now. Thanks for all your help. Knowing we can't see and do everything, so choosing two or three things we really want to do and see, has helped me to relax a bit when planning. If we arrive in Rome at around 9:30 am and then plan to be at Termini by 3:30 pm to be sure to catch that 4 pm train home, we have 6 hours to plan. I think the Colosseum, a walking tour of the Forum, the Parthenon, lunch and a gelato, and a visit to Trevi, should just about do it. I want us to remember the day fondly, not with a sense of frantic rushing.

Wow, Thanks so much for all the info and the links. I will take a closer look tonight and then plan a walking route, as suggested. I think that makes the most sense.

Yes, we plan to end our day near the Trevi Fountain, so if it is a simple metro ride to Termini, we'll just plan to leave from there. Thanks for the detailed description of the Termini station and how far away those tracks could be. If we did head towards the auxiliary tracks immediately, are there electronic signboards in that area as well, showing the track numbers? How fast after the number is shown, does the train then depart? Two hot and tired 12 year olds doesn't make for an easy run through a train station, so best to be prepared. :D

I think I have a pretty good idea of how to plan the day now. Thanks for all your help. Knowing we can't see and do everything, so choosing two or three things we really want to do and see, has helped me to relax a bit when planning. If we arrive in Rome at around 9:30 am and then plan to be at Termini by 3:30 pm to be sure to catch that 4 pm train home, we have 6 hours to plan. I think the Colosseum, a walking tour of the Forum, the Parthenon, lunch and a gelato, and a visit to Trevi, should just about do it. I want us to remember the day fondly, not with a sense of frantic rushing.

Well, if you're going to include the Parthenon, it will take a bit longer than 6 hours:D!

However, once you are at the Pantheon, there is a great restaurant very nearby that is only open for lunch--Enoteca Corsi, Via del Gesu 87. Very friendly family run resto, the daughters all speak great English, and you can be in and out in as little as 30-40 minutes if you like and enjoy a fun and authentic Italian lunch. We went there twice on our last trip, we enjoyed it so much. Claudia was especially delightful and makes the most delicious homemade desserts!!! You can use google maps to see how close it is to the Pantheon.

Good Grief! I always write the wrong one. My husband is constantly asking me which Pantheon/Parthenon I am referring to.

This research is taxing my brain. :D

I downloaded the Rick Steves app and the walking tour for the Forum. It's helping a lot, combined with a google map of the area.

How does this sound? We will take the metro to the Coloseo stop, tour the Colosseum, then walk past the Arch of Constantine to the Palantine Hill entrance on Via di San Gregorio. (how far is that, approximately?)

We'll enter Palantine Hill and make our way down towards the Arch of Titus. Then we'll make our way up the forum towards Capital Hill, stopping at the major sites along the way, exiting after the Arch of Septimus Sverus.

From there we should, according to google maps, be able to meander up towards the PANTHEON ;) then to the Trevi Fountain. From there we will metro to Termini and find our train back. There are 5 ships in port that day, so I am thinking it will be crowded getting back to the port.

Thanks, by the way, for that lunch recommendation. This is just what I need for my Rome cheat sheet!

Don't want to complicate or throw a wrench in here, but with a family of four and other relatives, you might look into having a van pick you up at the port, drop you at your first stop in Rome, and have a designated time and place for the car/van service to pick you up at the end of the day and return you to the ship. That takes the crowded train and the train schedule out of the equation and then you can do your own schedule in the city. Get a quote and compare the costs. It might just be feasible and it might even give you additional time so that you aren't flustered to begin and end your day. Try Bobs Limo in Rome. Their prices are very reasonable when you divide it per person. Sounds like you have a minimum of 6 people.

That's a decent suggestion, and definitely something we've thought about. We are actually 11 in our group (9 if the grandparents decide not to go to Rome that day but stay closer to the ship). I figured we'd end up needing two vans which would be quite costly. The 9 that would head into Rome are all fairly young and energetic (two twelve year olds, their "older" cousins ranging in age from 18-22, and the parents - us - in our mid to late 40's) so I think we can manage transit and walking fairly well. I do like the idea of having more time, but then I read horror stories of vans breaking down, accidents that cause slow-moving traffic, and I get nervous. It seems most daytripper DIY's to Rome use the train without too much stress, so we'll probably stick with that plan.

Thank you, though!!

That's a decent suggestion, and definitely something we've thought about. We are actually 11 in our group (9 if the grandparents decide not to go to Rome that day but stay closer to the ship). I figured we'd end up needing two vans which would be quite costly. The 9 that would head into Rome are all fairly young and energetic (two twelve year olds, their "older" cousins ranging in age from 18-22, and the parents - us - in our mid to late 40's) so I think we can manage transit and walking fairly well. I do like the idea of having more time, but then I read horror stories of vans breaking down, accidents that cause slow-moving traffic, and I get nervous. It seems most daytripper DIY's to Rome use the train without too much stress, so we'll probably stick with that plan.

Thank you, though!!

I've never checked into cost just for transport into Rome and then back to the ship, but with that many people I can't imagine it'd be close to the 6 euros pp the train would cost each way. I know our 7 person van that picked us up at Civi and dropped us at our hotel in Rome was 25 euros pp plus tip. One advantage of the train is that you don't have to worry about traffic; one disadvantage is that they DO occasionally go on strike, but it is always pre-announced and usually just a matter of a few hours.

From there we should, according to google maps, be able to meander up towards the PANTHEON ;) then to the Trevi Fountain...

Sounds like a good plan. One final tip: be especially carefully crossing the streets in and around Piazza Venezia. It's a crazy busy square with wide streets flowing with a non-stop stream of buses, taxis and cars, and all with no good crossing areas! While there is plenty of traffic elsewhere, the smaller streets and back alleys are easy to cross by comparison! Enjoy your day in Roma!

Archived