Biggest frustration with Izumi

So, they have sukiyaki, which is a WONDERFUL traditional japanese dish. And they actually COULD do a pretty good job with it. After all, the broth is excellent. But they way the present it is murder.

Traditionally, the broth with veggies and other goodies is served very hot (as is theirs), but the thin sliced steak is supposed to be served uncooked. You dip it in the hot broth to cook it. Instead, when you get it at Izumi, the steak has already been in the broth and thus has been turned into overcooked leather.

The second debacle is if you order it with egg. Traditionally, the egg is served RAW on the side, in a bowl. You take the hot items (steak or veggies) out of the broth and quickly dip it in the egg, to put a thin, sweet egg coating on the item. Instead, they break the egg into the broth, and it is an inedible, NASTY hard egg.

So here's my question: Seeing as this is a restaurant that serves hot rock with RAW meat, do you think they would be willing to serve it up with the raw egg on the side, and the uncooked steak on the side if I asked them? Or do you think that would just overwhelm and baffle the servers?

So, they have sukiyaki, which is a WONDERFUL traditional japanese dish. And they actually COULD do a pretty good job with it. After all, the broth is excellent. But they way the present it is murder.

Traditionally, the broth with veggies and other goodies is served very hot (as is theirs), but the thin sliced steak is supposed to be served uncooked. You dip it in the hot broth to cook it. Instead, when you get it at Izumi, the steak has already been in the broth and thus has been turned into overcooked leather.

The second debacle is if you order it with egg. Traditionally, the egg is served RAW on the side, in a bowl. You take the hot items (steak or veggies) out of the broth and quickly dip it in the egg, to put a thin, sweet egg coating on the item. Instead, they break the egg into the broth, and it is an inedible, NASTY hard egg.

So here's my question: Seeing as this is a restaurant that serves hot rock with RAW meat, do you think they would be willing to serve it up with the raw egg on the side, and the uncooked steak on the side if I asked them? Or do you think that would just overwhelm and baffle the servers?

Did you comment this matter with the restaurant manager?

Did you comment this matter with the restaurant manager?

No. The night I was there it was (as usual) very busy. And frankly, I wasn't too impressed with the guy. I honestly don't feel like telling him what I thought after the fact was going to make much of a difference. I enjoyed the rest of my meal, so one dish that missed wasn't a tragedy. It was just that it COULD have been so good.

If it wasn't important enough for me to say something about at the time, to me it isn't important. The only wrong way is to not try to get what you want at the time. I have never had an issue getting what I really wanted at the time when I politely explained why something needed to be corrected. That is just me and perhaps not for everyone!

Well, if you don't ask, you'll never know, now will you? Please let us know what happens.

For the record, we didn't order sukiyaki on Rhapsody, but found the tempura to be nice and crisp. But maybe Hawaiian sea air is different from whatever sea you were sailing on.;)

I don't see how it could hurt to politely ask when you order next time.

Our experiences in Izumi have been in a very quiet, not busy places with excellent service--so I cannot really relate to the busy, not very personable experience you had. I am sorry you did not feel like you could ask for your food to be served differently.

Oh, and for the record, the tempura was nice and crisp in the Med Sea air about 3 weeks ago. :)

It sounds like you had a less than stellar manager on your voyage/ship. That's really too bad.

Raw beef dipped in a raw egg then I put it in hot broth....Yumm

yeah.. but not as served in Izumi apparently. I lived an hour outside of Tokyo for three years.. I got spoiled....

now if they had okonomyiaki I'd be so there. or better yet, tako yaki I'd seriously swoon

actually the plan is to eat in Izumi on embarkation day which just so happens to be our anniversary. I was looking at the hot rock options to go along with a few sushi rolls....

One of the venues I was most looking forward to:(

So the hot rocks are a winner? Sushi rolls?

This was going to be on our definite list for the dining package.

We really enjoy the hot rocks. I've had the filet several times, and my wife has had the tuna.

One of the venues I was most looking forward to:(

So the hot rocks are a winner? Sushi rolls?

This was going to be on our definite list for the dining package.

We dined at Chops, Izumi and the Chef's Table on our recent cruise. Izumi was the one we LOVED and will return to (did return that trip also!).

The hot rocks were great and so were all the rolls we had. (we were on Legend). Maybe OP just hit an off night or maybe there is an issue with teh management on that particular ship :confused:

It's probably due to health codes, raw meat and such.

Archived