Thoughts on talent shows?

DUCK33

I'm wondering, for those of you who have gone to see the guest talent show, are the acts usually pretty good? Better still, if any of you have participated, what sort of things did you do? I'm considering participating on my upcoming Century cruise, but am wondering if I would be way out of my league. Any comments would be appreciated!

*Carnival Inspiration 3/02/03*

*Celebrity Century 10/30/04*

Reyes28:

On my last cruise, a b2b, I participated in both talent shows. The majority of the people sing. I played the piano and there was a group of dancers.

The first show was in the theater the afternoon of the last day; the second show was in the upstairs lounge relatively last (10-ish) on the last night.

The overall talent ranged from really good on down.

Lee (EMail)

Song of America -1996

Zenith -1997

Zenith -1998

Mercury (b2b) -1999

Enchantment of the Seas (b2b) -2000

Infinity -2001

Summit (b2b) -2002

Infinity (b2b) -2003

Summit -2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;1;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-700

I LOVE the talent shows. In April a 90 year old woman played the harmonica. She was terrific and an instant "star." I suggest the talent show be moved to the beginning of the cruise (it's usually the last sea day). That way it would give the pax something to talk about and someone "famous" to say hi to. The lady loved the attention. It could have lasted for 10 days instead of two. The talent does vary from act to act and cruise to cruise, but everyone has a great time.

Hiicon_smile.gif I think Phil (from Phil and Marti) LOL will back me up on this one....

When we sailed the Mercury in March, the talent show was held on the last evening.....the people involved had to be some of the MOST FANTASTIC acts anywhere.

I missed the first one but heard he was wonderful...he sang to his wife for their 35th Anniversaryicon_smile.gif.

There was a group of dancers who did an African Dance..they were FABULOUS!

One Gal sang "Amazing Grace" and she brought the house down!!!

Phil...do you remember the others?...

Anyway...it was great and I am really glad I decided to see it!!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Amen to that! And on the 4/11 Zenith we also had some fantastic and some 'others' at kareoke, too. Sorry about the spelling. There was a wonderful woman named Diane who could sound like Patsy Cline and a guy from Scotland who sang Elvis songs plus an older man who did Sinatra. then the usual drunks who could not sing and thought they could. All in all there were some very talented people on the ship (including that 90 year old woman).

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>then the usual drunks who could not sing and thought they could <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes tuggers, but we are good for a late laugh. I thought I was hysterical icon_razz.gif

Phil

Mercury Western Caribbean November 2002

Galaxy Eastern Caribbean November 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600<BR

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Out Of Galveston

13th November 2004

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I've always enjoyed the talent shows, and been amazed at how good the talent usually is. It seems like it's usually singers and dancers, but on one cruise it was a magician. This guy brought his stuff with him just in case he could be in the show, and he was pretty good! I wish the shows lasted longer, though. It seems like only a few people get to perform.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Thank you all for your replies! I'm going to have to think about this some more... I might be better off just watching! icon_wink.gif

phil,

And therein lies the problem. When the entertainer thinks they are funnier than the audience thinks they are. But you can't fool me! I know you weren't one of the guys I was talking about. They killed so many brain cells with alcohol on that trip they couldn't even remember a long handle like yours much less still spell it! LOL!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Reyes28,

Don't do that! Take a chance! Get up there and go for it! Heck, one day I may try my stand up routine. What is your talent, by the way?

too bad some of the talent can't be presented...it wouldn't be funny icon_wink.gif I am great at sports trivia icon_biggrin.gif

Oh wait...that is why they have trivia contests during the day! icon_smile.gif

I was on the Vision, RCI, 2/1, and a girl from Ireland sang in the talent show. She was so gifted it was truly amazing. The next day RCI had her singing in the Schooner Bar. She was absolutely fantastic.

DesertCruiser

On our cruise they did state that they were not looking for comics of any sort. All of our talent (my wife included) sang. Next time she has stated that she will bring her own sheet music since the piano player had a limited number of songs that he knew or had music for.

tuggers:

My talent would be singing - I'm good, but I'm sure I wouldn't blow anyway.

Actually, I'm a very good tap-dancer, too - but I figured that was out of the question. Unless I take Duck's earlier suggestion and somehow involve a rubber chicken and a donkey?

Reyesicon_smile.gif I admire anyone who gets on stage...I say GO FOR IT icon_biggrin.gif.

Those of us (me) who have NO ARTISTIC talent whatsoever really enjoy watching and listening!

Have a great time icon_smile.gif

Lois:

Thanks for the encouragement! Wish you were going to be on my cruise - then I'd know there would be at least one friendly face out there (oh, besides my husband, of course!) icon_wink.gif

Reyes - go for it! It's fun. My DH and I did a talent show one time when we were sailing with a group of our friends on the Zenith. He played the drums and I sang. I agree with bringing your own sheet music because it was tough finding a song that they could play and I could sing.

I was with a bunch of friends and went for it so being on a ship with people you don't know should be better. You'll never see them again so why not? If I had been terrible, I had friends that would have continued to remind me about it after we got home. Luckily, they liked what we did.

It's your vacation. Enjoy it and do whatever you please.

I agree, the talent shows are better than some of the headliners. The talent is varied but the pax are always very supportive. Go for it!!! You will recieve a Celebrity t-shirt, totebag or something for participating. Have fun, good luck and break a leg!

Reyess, I think you might actually like it better not having anyone you know in the audience as someone else said! I've never been one for stage freight. The only problem with giving me a mic is trying to get it back! Have fun. I did a lip sync contest on one ship and it was a hoot! A talent contest for the talent-less hams! My kind of deal!

Archived