Island Princess Balconies

nhcruiser

We are about to book the Island Princess to Hawaii in November. As we study the deck plans, we note that the balcony cabins are not in a straight line but rather some are placed a bit in-board while some are placed out-board. We can see that some appear to have obstructed views to the side of the balcony that is next to the cabin that is placed outward.

Any insider advice from Past Island Princess cruisers as to what cabins they prefer? Do any of these cabins have exposed balconies like the Grand Class ships? Should we avoid an in particular?

Thanks fellow cruisers!

Actually, the Dolphin deck balconies are totally exposed and the Caribe deck balconies are partially exposed as they are on the Grand Class ships. As for the outboard cabins (a.k.a. “the bump-out”) it seems that cabins in this area have balconies that are more fully covered…at least that’s what it looked like to me. I had an “inboard” Caribe deck balcony that was partially covered, partially uncovered. The best of both worlds.

We were in Caribe 309 on the Coral Princess (same as Island) and enjoyed it. It is the true bump-out cabin at the end of the forward row of cabins. It was covered on top, but we had the outward view and aft view. A little hard to explain. If you would like me to e-mail you pictures of it, send me your e-mail address. We liked it so much we booked the same cabin on the Island for next May. ;) cruznliz@yahoo.com

We had B501 on the center bump out and loved it. The balcony was fully covered by the balcony above. As we looked directly below us, the Caribe deck balcony was larger than ours, partially covered by ours and partially exposed and we could see into it when we looked down. The Dolphin deck directly below that was totally exposed when we looked down.

I have heard people say that if you have a cabin next to the bump out, your view is somewhat obscured by the bump out balconies.

We were in Caribe 603 on the Island Princess in April. It was partially covered. When I stood at the rail I could see below me into the dolphin deck cabins and if I looked to the side I could see other caribe balconies, but only the uncovered portions. It was a nice size balcony with a large table and two chairs. We never felt the need to request a lounge chair as we used it mostly for coctails in the late afternoon after a day of sun or port excursions and coffee in the morning. the Hawaii cruise was wonderful. Hope you have a great time.:cool:

I have heard people say that if you have a cabin next to the bump out, your view is somewhat obscured by the bump out balconies.

Try to choose a cabin that's at least four or five cabins away from the bump-out for this reason. Even a little more, if you can.

I suggest the balcony cabins on Emerald, Caribe and Dolphin. On Caribe I prefer a bump out for a better view.

Keep in mind the balconies are tier shaped with Dolphin being the base so as you go up you balcony is going to get smaller.

Scott

Caribe deck balconies are great, but don't book one right next to a bump out. We did, and our view was somewhat restricted to that side, but worse than that, you really gave up some privacy on your balcony. You could see right into their balcony, and they could see right into yours.......luckily for us, but maybe sadly for them, they didn't seem to use their balcony much. We were on the non bump out side, and they had a bump out balcony. As another poster said, book at least a few cabins away from the bump. Have a great cruise!

Can anyone comment on the Baja deck ?

Wife and I have B215 in a couple of months, and I am interested in finding out what other folks might have to say.

Thanks !

As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the best locations on the ship... if you don't mind a somewhat smaller(not by too much) balcony in these minisuites, you gain with a very private, covered one.The forward cabins on Aloha and Baja have a couple advantages: close proximity to both the Horizon Court(a quick trip up a couple flights), and the large open front of the ship below the bridge(all the way forward - Aloha, Baja and Caribe decks), a great spot to be when entering or leaving ports, and for stargazing.

There are tradeoffs in any location on these ships... I'll trade a little balcony space for privacy anytime... and the forward Baja cabins are the most private(and protected, and in the case of the Balcony cat BD cabins, a little cheaper... the savvy shopper will realize these are the cabins with the deepest discounts).

You'll love this ship... have a great time!

Wow!! Thanks for all of your informed advice!

As of this afternoon B312 and C324 are available as well as a few cabins on the forward bump out of Aloha in the A200's. Having been to Hawaii aboard the Regal Princess we are somewhat concerned about wave motion to the bow but

after reading all of your inputs we are leaning towards the A200 Aloha cabins.

Any additional ideas before we make a final selection?

Thanks in advance!

The aftwards non-mini-suite balconies on Island are quite covered. Lovely, but not an open view to the sky by any means. I think this applies for 626 and aft - the stuff by the aftmost elevators.

Eric, Thoroughly Cranky That His Balcony Was Not Open To The Sky

Hi There,

Balconies for the cabins you mention are both starboard side slightly aft of midships.

A 603 is a quad cabin and will accommodate a third and fourth person. A 533 is 4 cabins forward of 603 on the starboard (same) side.

Both cabins have the smaller balconies. On the Island & Coral, the larger balconies are found on Caribe deck.

Ciao for now!!!

Vibe guy,

Do you know if cabin D-623 is covered?

Thanks!

The aftwards non-mini-suite balconies on Island are quite covered. Lovely, but not an open view to the sky by any means. I think this applies for 626 and aft - the stuff by the aftmost elevators.

Eric, Thoroughly Cranky That His Balcony Was Not Open To The Sky

Here is a link to some pictures of our cruise on the Coral, sister ship to the Island. The last page has some pictures of views from our cabin which was near perfect. C520 was far enough away from the bumpout, large enough to have room for a lounge, two chairs and a table. It was half covered and only the outside edge was visable to the Baja deck above, with the Dolphin deck completly open to our view below.

http://community.webshots.com/album/297460286ZvSehO

Good Morning,

Cabin A 411 is slightly ahead of the midship bumpout and well clear vision wise from the bumpout as well. You are located on the starboard side of the ship 5 cabins forward of the midship lifts (elevators).

Ciao for now!!!

Archived